Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mf 362/365

• 18-03-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Anyone have any experience with these type of tractors are the good all advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

friend had one,all 300 series massey are well liked,definitely trade well if in good condition regardless of age. standard reliable tractor good for diy and parts available should start easily.little or no blow from breather pipe. if grease mounts up and dries on front axle on 2wd drive model they can break steering ram ends .no squealing from brakes. lift should hold steady and not drop arms after stopping engine,they can also give electrical problems in dash, but nothing major, its mostly contacts in need of cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭135man

sandydan wrote: »
    friend had one,all 300 series massey are well liked,definitely trade well if in good condition regardless of age. standard reliable tractor good for diy and parts available should start easily.little or no blow from breather pipe. if grease mounts up and dries on front axle on 2wd drive model they can break steering ram ends .no squealing from brakes. lift should hold steady and not drop arms after stopping engine,they can also give electrical problems in dash, but nothing major, its mostly contacts in need of cleaning.
    Would they be a good puller would be looking at pulling about 6 ton ??

depends on country , which model are you buying,2 or 4wd &yr

the only comparison i can make is to the MF168 and they were a great all rounder,lime and slurry spereading in fields, agitating as well.was a real workhorse ,362/365 has same perkins 236 engine rated at 65 hp , a better choice for mid range work than the perkins 248 engine, which are great, provided you work them hard all the time ,that's my opinion based on seeing oil coming out exhausts from ticking over work like mixing concrete, it's bad for all but worse for high HP engines. pulling 6 ton would not pose any problem but depends on road use and slope, keeping back loads if brake hydraulic braking system is not fitted to towed trailer,tank, whatever is what i would worry about on steep roads, or engine racing going downhill . for example i was pulled backwards on road following rain shower by 1000 gals tank of slurry using mf65 mf185 ford 5000 all 2wd drive ,also had runaway experience with load of silage in steep field with mf185,its not a pleasant experience

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭135man

The terrain around here would be a mixture of hills and flat with a few steep hills the land I have is mostly flat, the tractor would be a 4wd around 94-95 I should get a trailer brake connection retro fitted it would be a better idea ! I wonder can it be done ?

• Advertisement

all 300 series i had were pre 92 with 3 gear handles I would prefer the later 1995-96 300 series,as weak/worn spring & bushings in gearbox selector may give problem in 92-93,cracking a pin in box,damn thing costs only around a fiver but stripping out rear end to replace costs big bucks. ask if they are replaced/ rectified . post 91 all mf300 series come fitted with braking system for trailers afaik,what is the 365 replacing, most mf 4wd post 93 will have auto 4WD cut in giving you 4 wheel braking so it's a vast improvement on any 2wd for work both on steep fields, farm roadways and public roadways where trailer braking systems are essential or if haulage cant be avoided on public roads eg hauling slurry or drawing silage, I'd get merchants to deliver goods to farm, flat ground is different. Newer tanks and factory trailers have a braking system. trading up might be easier unless you can source an axle and they are available . braking ram complete with return spring are available & easily fitted,all you need really is some tank or trailer fitted with brakes to copy,can be diy job or a local engineering works may give you good quote, inquire around,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Have 390 here fitted with braking system for trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jack H

Thanks for the advice lads extremely helpful, 135 man you seem to be interested in 1 too they seem a good tractor alright

I said wrote: »
    Have 390 here fitted with braking system for trailer

mine was 390 4 wd 88 with black cab and had trailer brake ,but was told that not all had it, i have no experience with a 362/365. but 168 would be same engine,but would like to hear from some one that had 365 and 390 just to compare
    i got 399 4wd instead of 390 and neither have auto 4wd cut in giving 4wd braking when you hit brakes. i have steep ground and discovered that going downhill in steep field with 4wd on could be recipe for disaster as front wheels grip and back of tractor can easily swing,without trailer/tank brakes its safer to keep it off and let it race engine provided you have sufficient level ground at bottom of field to slow down or stay out

135man wrote: »
    The terrain around here would be a mixture of hills and flat with a few steep hills the land I have is mostly flat, the tractor would be a 4wd around 94-95 I should get a trailer brake connection retro fitted it would be a better idea ! I wonder can it be done ?
    maybe i misunderstood you ,thought you were referring to a trailer or tank, your 365 would have one factory fitted it's the single "tipping" connection to the right away from the valve block

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

i have a 362 4wd, very very happy with it she does more than alot of bigge ryokes around here for me and i often pulled ten ton of lime with her on the road, hich is very hilly....mines a 94 but has no trailer brakes, can they be fitted? and how?

Masseymad wrote: »
    i have a 362 4wd, very very happy with it she does more than alot of bigge ryokes around here for me and i often pulled ten ton of lime with her on the road, hich is very hilly....mines a 94 but has no trailer brakes, can they be fitted? and how?

that's strange,
    is there what looks like a single male connection to the right of top link away from the block of spool valves that's looks like it's a separate returns hydraulic pipe,returns to bottom of a box bolted on, in front of left axle which is has another hydraulic pipe attached to top. on imports the connection is different to a tipping connection,can be threaded,not sure about Irish ones,as some change connection for reasons of availability,
    the 168 which is all i can compare them to had the same 236 engine as 362/365 and were a mighty machine,every one of them i saw were mighty,and i thought nearly superior to the 185/188s as an all rounder & output and better than 165.
    Togive info on fitting the brakes someone like EMAHERX would be right man ,he is great on technical stuff like that

Advertisement