Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elizabeth Fort.

Options
  • 18-03-2014 11:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

It was announced that it was supposed to be open to visitors by the end of Feburary but there seems to be nothing happening.This has been dragging on now for nearly nine years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

It's a pity it has dragged on for so long. It has huge potential if the council do it right. They don't seem to be in any great rush though. Couple of bars and restaurants up there would be nice. Some small concerts etc during the summer would be cool too. All probably wishful thinking though.

On a side note. I think the council should offer some incentive/grants for people to open up businesses on Barrack street. There's some cool pubs up there already and I think it's a nice part of the city - unfortunately there's too much dereliction up there at the moment. Hopefully the street upgrading will attract customers and businesses alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Point on Barrack Street, it was built for horse and cart traffic and cottage industry and it grew up around the fort, in fact much of the dwelling attached to the fort have come from lean toos which used to be destroyed from time to time as they were illegal but the occupying forces put up with them too.

It's effectively a military area designed to be defended and reinforced, it's not a great living or visiting area, one tourist coach would block access for instance.

All the attraction's difficulties were highlighted a few years ago with 7-Up On Ice which became a financial disaster and a nightmare for residents and local traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

I used to live in one of the houses under it when I was in college, there was no problem going in & up onto the ramparts then for the great views. Mind you that was back in the last millenium :P

More of the nanny state culture and fear of being sued I guess now.

Advertisement