Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second car car insurance

Options
  • 18-03-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

my mam has a car she is insured with aviva and am a named driver on her insurance on a six month deal the deal is up in 2 weeks i was thinking that i got a second car and getting my mam to go as the named driver and me to go as the named driver does anyone know if this is do able

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If you are talking about having your mam insure both cars it is possible. Firstly for most companies the second car would need to be registered in her name. Some insurance companies will allow her to "mirror" her no claims bonus and this would be the cheapest option, otherwise she will be insuring the second car with no NCB and this would be a lot more costly. My advice would be contact a broker to find a company that will "mirror" her NCB. It might still be expensive as most companies have seen this kind of thing before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

They will rate the policy on the most loadable driver which I'm guessing is you OP. So you would be better off starting your own policy and sucking up the cost as you will have to pay it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

peteb2 wrote: »
    They will rate the policy on the most loadable driver which I'm guessing is you OP. So you would be better off starting your own policy and sucking up the cost as you will have to pay it at some point.

+1 Are insurance companies that dumb that they will write a new policy for a second car so the policyholder now has two cars with one of the cars having a 'named driver'?

Do you seriously think they will accept the proposition that the 'named driver' is not the person who will do most of the driving in the second car?

Advertisement