Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster charged my card for no reason.

Options
  • 19-03-2014 1:41am

In a way. I got a "refund" for a ticket I never bought, dated last Friday. Unfortunately for me that transaction didn't show up on my online banking but it did affect the balance. So I spent according to what I thought I had left and then there's a charge for the same amount dated yesterday, meaning I'm over my credit limit. I also received texts about a gig that I had never heard about.

So this completely unauthorised and unwanted pair of transactions have inconvenienced me already and I decided to remove my credit card details from my ticketmaster account. However when I logged in I found that my credit card isn't linked to my ticketmaster account. Surely they've done something wrong here by using the authorisation on a transaction over a year ago to do this? Should my card still be on their records?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be somebody else using your card details, I'd suggest you contact your card provider,

Any chance a friend or family member may have used your card details in the past?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Could be somebody else using your card details, I'd suggest you contact your card provider,

Any chance a friend or family member may have used your card details in the past?

No never. Also I checked on my ticketmaster account and there was nothing bought in over a year yet I still got the email and text relating to the gig to the email address and phone number on my ticketmaster account.
    The "refund" happened 4 days before the charge so I wasn't refunded for making a purchase, they erred. How they had my details is my issue. (As well as their general incompetence).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

So basically they gave you a loan for four days...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think I'd raise a formal complaint with them, and ask them to explain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

There may also be a PCI concern. If your card isn't linked to your account, and assuming no one fraudulently used your card, do Tickmaster keep these payment details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

RangeR wrote: »
    There may also be a PCI concern. If your card isn't linked to your account, and assuming no one fraudulently used your card, do Tickmaster keep these payment details?

This assumes they have the OP's details on file, it is possible that the original refund was an error, intended for another card holder and they entered the card details incorrectly, and then (when they discovered the mistake) they debited a few days later.

And before people mention the check digit at the end of card numbers, it is possible to transpose digits in the card number and not effect the check digit.

This assumes they have the OP's details on file, it is possible that the original refund was an error, intended for another card holder and they entered the card details incorrectly, and then (when they discovered the mistake) they debited a few days later.

And before people mention the check digit at the end of card numbers, it is possible to transpose digits in the card number and not effect the check digit.
    I got a text last week saying a gig had been cancelled, then a text the next day saying "never mind, doesn't matter" basically. So someone would've had to both use my credit card and my ticketmaster account or phone number. I find it pretty hard to believe. And the refund was made before they then re-charged my card, unless ticketmaster manually transpose both account numbers and payment details I don't think that was the error.

I was talking to a friend tonight who got the same texts about the gig being canceled but he's had no financial transactions since he used a prepay card.

Actually just checked my email and there's something from ticketmaster acknowledging they used the wrong mailing list for the cancelled gig. It still doesn't explain them having my card details on file. Something for the DPC perhaps?
    I can't see a way to email ticketmaster with a complaint, only a fax no. or a phone call that would run me quite a bit of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

There is a way to email Ticketmaster.

You have to go to FAQ, type in a question (anything). Then click on any answer and then a contact us tab will appear.

Advertisement