Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards App

Options
  • 19-03-2014 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

How come there is none ?

Surprising really given the sites popularity.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's one in the works at the moment,
    They looked for testers back in December - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87920326

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our Android app is due to launch pretty soon, don't worry about missing it, we will be telling you ALL about it as soon as it is ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Get an iOS one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Mr Reese

Don't see the point of an app...why would one want one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I hope it comes out soon, can't wait to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Mr Reese

I hope it comes out soon, can't wait to get it.
    WHY??????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mr Reese wrote: »

Why not?

Mr Reese wrote: »

On my Nexus 7 anyway the Boards website is really buggy. You post and the browser just hangs, you have to refresh it for it to work.

Hopefully the app might fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Just once it is not as annoying as the adverts app.

Always trying to force itself on me. I do feel like Jodie foster in the accused. I don't want to install it yet it is pestering all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Boards is run by the same company as theJournal.ie, which has been leading the charge in forcing users to download its app just to read the odd news article. Hopefully I won't have to stop visiting Boards for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Always trying to force itself on me. I do feel like Jodie foster in the accused. I don't want to install it yet it is pestering all the time.

Links to adverts are needlessly complicated on iOS, same with TheJournal.ie.
    it just keeps bringing you to the App Store and when you get out of that it brings you to the homepage of the site and not what you were linked to. It's a mess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Always trying to force itself on me.
    While I do really like the Adverts app, I agree sites that "offer" you their app EVERY TIME you load their site on a mobile device are a pain in the arse. Bloody Google in Safari does it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Dave! wrote: »
    Boards is run by the same company as theJournal.ie.

It's not actually, it's run by Boards.ie Ltd. The Journal is run by Journal Media Ltd.

This may seem like semantics to you, but it's not to me, we are different companies and have different staff, management, and directors.

If that "click here to download our app" thing becomes a permanent feature on the touch site, I will probably punch someone in the head - it drives me mad too :) I'd probably ask to include a link to the app in the footer of the page though - that's consistent with our existing links to open in the Touch site or the Desktop site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I mean that they're within the Distilled Media group, I know they have different teams though.

Good to hear you're on our side though Dav!

Dave! wrote: »
    I mean that they're within the Distilled Media group, I know they have different teams though.

Good to hear you're on our side though Dav!

I've always been on your our side :)

3 months ago the app was coming "very" soon...

What now?

Making an app can't be this hard surely?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have you ever made one?
    (And don't call me Shirley).

Also, have you ever seen this forum when Boards does anything to the site? Unless it's perfect (impossible) there'll be threads filled with the anonymous wrath of disgruntled users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

3 months ago the app was coming "very" soon...

What now?

This will keep ya going.

Dades wrote: »
    Have you ever made one?
    (And don't call me Shirley).

Also, have you ever seen this forum when Boards does anything to the site? Unless it's perfect (impossible) there'll be threads filled with the anonymous wrath of disgruntled users.

I have actually, made an app as part of my TY mini company.

The UI was probably the hardest part to perfect.

But I was simply saying that it'd be nice to get an update as to how it's doing, around when it'll be ready etc.

I don't know about you but "soon" isn't gonna cut it IMO.

That was probably supposed to be an insult on my character but that app is fun! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I have actually, made an app as part of my TY mini company.

The UI was probably the hardest part to perfect.

No offense but if you think that's even remotely relevant to making a enterprise standard app that has to interface near perfectly with the back-end of a site like this then you've no perspective on coding. It's like saying "I've written a Hello World program" in a discussion about implementing numerical analysis in C++. Dades wasn't super specific in his question but it should have been obvious he wasn't talking about writing just any kind of app.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

nesf wrote: »
    No offense but if you think that's even remotely relevant to making a enterprise standard app that has to interface near perfectly with the back-end of a site like this then you've no perspective on coding. It's like saying "I've written a Hello World program" in a discussion about implementing numerical analysis in C++. Dades wasn't super specific in his question but it should have been obvious he wasn't talking about writing just any kind of app.

http://i.imgur.com/DmHviSR.png

Jesus Christ I'm sorry!

Didn't know so many of you were so protective over your app! :rolleyes:

I apologise to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Will the App be any different much than the official site?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

kneemos wrote: »
    Will the App be any different much than the official site?

precisely the reason I don't think there is a need an app. The touch boards site us excellent. Only sites that have poor user interfaces require apps imho

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Free presumably?

kneemos wrote: »
    Free presumably?

Of course! :)

Boards would be silky to offer a free website and then charge for an app!

I'm sure they make enough money from the ads :P

From testing the app, it's very good.

Nice clean layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Will there be a windows version?

There just aren't enough people using Windows Phone to justify the work I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Dav wrote: »
    There just aren't enough people using Windows Phone to justify the work I'm afraid.

Dav I know there were issues previously with unofficial Boards wrapper apps for Android, but I don't know if you were aware of this one for Windows Phone -

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=5062c1b2-4260-4ce8-83a5-851ed3bd7b09

Advertisement