Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Owner - difficult neighbouring tenants

Options
  • 19-03-2014 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi - I am new to Boards.ie but would appreciate any advise. I am an owner occupier of an apartment. Within my block, there are other owners and also some tenants. There are 12 apartments in all in the block.

There are two apartments rented out to tenants who have no regard for the block particularly in relation to cleanliness and security. The main door lock has been replaced several times in the last number of weeks due to it being kicked open. The buzzers to each apartment no longer work as somone is leaving the buzzer pressed in which has burned out the motor - the managing agent will not pay for this to be fixed again. The children of the tenants regularly treat the communal hallways as a place to play, leaving marker on the walls, leaving bicycles in front of the stairwell, throwing wrappers or food remnants on the floors, playing hairdressers and leaving hair all over the carpets, leaving back door unlocked, playing loud music and hanging around on the window sills, playing games running up and down the stairs - basically they have no supervision so they do what they like etc.

The tenants are fairly volatile and the owners, myself included, are not comfortable in approaching them in case of any retaliation. We have asked the managing agent to remind tenants of the House Rules. Can House Rules be enforced by the Managing Agent against tenants? Alternatively, if a formal complaint were made to the tenancy board, would the landloard/tenant be made aware of who has made the complaint?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Complain to the management agent. They should be able to contact the unit owner (landlord) and deal with the issue.

Other than that, you can lodge a complaint with the PRTB about the tenants, again this will get to the unit owner who must deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Paulw wrote: »
    Complain to the management agent. They should be able to contact the unit owner (landlord) and deal with the issue.

Other than that, you can lodge a complaint with the PRTB about the tenants, again this will get to the unit owner who must deal with it.

Definately a management company issue, I had tenants who were a problem and disturbing other owners and I was contacted by the management company and the problem was sorted that is what you pay your fees for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Yes definitely the management company need to deal with it. I would advise you send an email so there a documented evidence of when you raised the issues and what they were. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mabelbaby

Thanks for your responses - what exactly can/did the Management Company do? And can they do anything if the landlord is not responsive - the landlord in question has outstanding mgt fees so hasn't engaged with the mgt company on other issues to date. The Management Company are trying to push this to the tenants to make a formal complaint to the Tenancy Board, but I think for now I should keep pushing the Management Company to progress this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

the fact they have fees outstanding might make the mgmt. company take an even harder view on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The management company can only put pressure on the landlord to sort the issue out, but in reality if they are not engaging with one another then your best bet might be to take the matter to the PRTB yourself, as they are equipped to deal with such a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mabelbaby

Thanks again - do the PRTB reveal who has made a specific complaint? As per my original post, these 'neighbours' are quite volatile and there is a high probability of retaliation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Mabelbaby wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses - what exactly can/did the Management Company do? And can they do anything if the landlord is not responsive - the landlord in question has outstanding mgt fees so hasn't engaged with the mgt company on other issues to date. The Management Company are trying to push this to the tenants to make a formal complaint to the Tenancy Board, but I think for now I should keep pushing the Management Company to progress this.

It doesn't matter if the landlord has outstanding fees with the management company most LL do as they pay monthy or in part, I am still paying the end of 2013 fees I pay per month and the mngt company are happy with that.
    Document everything as advised via email, keep onto the management company about the disturbance and request them to call to the apartment and have a word with the tenants if the LL will not comply.
    You problably will have to complain to the prtb in the end but it is worth persuing the management company. My mngt company called to my apt and spoke to the tenants they got verbal abuse and they then got onto me I sort of knew what was happening because my neighbour was telling me I used to live in the block so am in contact with them and in the end just as I was going to evict them they moved out.
    Also take pictures of any mess they make or damage they cause.

Advertisement