Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Tender

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

#dualway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

micraX wrote: »
    #dualway

Pardon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Interesting to see single deck buses back on the cards again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

are these busses to replace older ones being retired? i thought their was some busses in storage? or did they come into service when the high floor busses were retired? were some busses not taken off as part of the cuts or were they just the high floor busses being retired?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There are 14 year old AVs still going round that could do with being replaced alright. In saying that some of the AVs are in very good condition for their age too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are no Dublin Bus vehicles in storage, nor were there at any point. Vehicles were withdrawn and sold.

This will be part of the normal fleet replacement programme.

Dublin Bus are merely pricing the market to see what options are out there.

Not all sold plenty of AV's on Broadstone. And the old ghostbus.

They are not stored with the plan to come back into service.

They are all for sale/scrap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As of a couple of weeks ago, there was still one of the withdrawn AV60s sitting in Clontarf too. AV64 possibly? most of the rest are long since gone - probably first batch to go.

There's plenty of 14 year old AVs that have absolutely no need replacing and/or have had huge work done on them recently particularly AV153-AV160 in Harristown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so their replacing these busses now rather then working them until they can't work no more because they will get more for the resale which can help to buy new busses then what they would get for the scrap value once life expired?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It would be interesting to know just how much work/value you could get out of the buses that have had engine refits and overhauls like AV153, AV154 and AV157 rather than buying a new bus. AV153 is just back from its work done on the engine.

dfx- wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know just how much work/value you could get out of the buses that have had engine refits and overhauls like AV153, AV154 and AV157 rather than buying a new bus. AV153 is just back from its work done on the engine.
    Last year I know of one AV I think that got a brand new engine and then was sold off less than 6 months later. Talk about east of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

Last year I know of one AV I think that got a brand new engine and then was sold off less than 6 months later. Talk about east of money.

You'd have to wonder! What a waste. Mind you it shouldn't really be of any surprise given the mindset in CIE to offload such young buses, buses that go straight back into busy mainstream services on many occasions back in the UK.

In fleet management, engines are often swapped in and out. No need to have a valuable vehicle out of service for an extended time while you are waiting for a long lead-in part.

How do you know it was a new engine and not a reconditioned one?

And how do you know that engine was sold with that bus?

Victor wrote: »
    In fleet management, engines are often swapped in and out. No need to have a valuable vehicle out of service for an extended time while you are waiting for a long lead-in part.

How do you know it was a new engine and not a reconditioned one?

And how do you know that engine was sold with that bus?
    In the private sector yes this is true. Because I know who put it in and who bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

How come Dublin Bus are inviting tenders? I thought the NTA had assumed responsibility for public transport vehicle purchases. Or do they just sign the cheques?

xper wrote: »
    How come Dublin Bus are inviting tenders? I thought the NTA had assumed responsibility for public transport vehicle purchases. Or do they just sign the cheques?

I would doubt that the NTA has the engineering expertise to do that.

Dublin Bus clearly does, and they will still be operating any buses delivered in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 VWD8

Once the NTA informs Dublin Bus that funding is available for fleet replacement, they will tender and purchase the buses. The buses are owned by Dublin Bus ie. They are the legal owners of them and are on the Dublin Bus balance sheet as an asset. The NTA pays for them.

VWD8 wrote: »
    Once the NTA informs Dublin Bus that funding is available for fleet replacement, they will tender and purchase the buses. The buses are owned by Dublin Bus ie. They are the legal owners of them and are on the Dublin Bus balance sheet as an asset. The NTA pays for them.
    The last batch were bought and are owned by the NTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 VWD8

Victor wrote: »
    The last batch were bought and are owned by the NTA.

No they are owned by Dublin Bus as such. The NTA have a clause in the contract for funding them that if Dublin Bus were to cease operating PSO routes, an applicable amount of these buses would transfer to the other operator.

The buses are fully to Dublin Bus spec, ie. raked windscreen, gasket windows, seat covers, legal lettering etc.

• Advertisement

VWD8 wrote: »

You left out the bit were they tell Irish Commercials the price offered by others so they can go lower.

Advertisement