Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it be an unwise decision for me to move to Canada?

Options
  • 19-03-2014 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Pretty much, I'm 17, not qualified to do anything and have no work experience anywhere. Honestly, I know a lot of people will say I should go and get qualified in something, but truthfully, right now I don't have the motivation to do that. I have intentions of doing so in a few years, as I don't want to spend the rest of my life working a crap job, but for now, I don't have the motivation and I'd like to live in the real world for a few years. I've always wanted to move out of Ireland, as while it's a nice country, it just doesn't appeal to me. I've always wanted to move to the US or Canada, as I feel the lifestyle and culture in these countries would be much better for me. Anyway, in a few months, I'm hoping to come into around 10 grand. So I figure this could be an opportunity to go and work in another country. As of now, I'm not necessarily seeking a permanent residence in Canada, just for the next few years or so, but truth be told, I'm not quite sure how immigration works. I don't mind working a minimum wage job and scraping by, maybe doing that will give me the motivation to get qualified. But would I even be able to get a minimum wage job in Canada? Or would I not even be able to find one and eventually have to come home when my funds are dried up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HenrikL

There is an expo coming up in RDS about working in Canada (and abroad). To be offered a working visa beyond the standard holiday J1 types I am pretty sure you will need to have a trade / skill etc. Search for RDS working abroad expo. Its a tenner in and I think its on this weekend. If u want my advice, get training or qualified as soon as you can. Its harder to go back to it when you are older

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Thanks for the reply, I wish I had the motivation to get qualified, but I'm honestly not even sure what I want to do at this age, so I think a few years in the real world would benefit me. I heard I can get a "working holiday" visa for up to 2 years, with the only requirements be I'm over 18 and have 2500+ Canadian dollars in my bank account. This would suit me down to a tee, as that's all I'm really looking for, I could very well see myself wishing to move to Canada permanently in the future, but my intentions were to move somewhere else and work for a few years and then return to Ireland to study once I've gotten a better idea of what I may want to do in the future. Has anyone gotten one of these visas? Do they look for people who are qualified to give them to? Are they difficult to get? And would it be difficult for me to land an unskilled job?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HenrikL

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

In a nutshell: yes, it would be unwise. Canada is expensive to get to, expensive to get yourself set up in and expensive to get home from. In many provinces the minimum wage is less than it is in Ireland - who fly across the globe for a worse standard of living than you'd have back home? If you want the experience of living and working abroad the UK is right there and currently doing very well. Save Canada for when you have experience in whatever you choose to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aerotuned

Ah man your 2 young the grass is always greener on the other side. Chill a bit , think about useing that money for a college coarse you will be interested in, I
    Work in the trade, moved to London for work and don't like the rat race here it's get up 6 am home for 7 pm , chances are if your not motivated -(lazy) at home it will be no different any where else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

I was in the same position as you 12 years ago and left for the US. I regret that decision to this day. The older you get, the harder it is to get motivated to go back to get a qualification. You get used to having a monthly income and the lifestyle that goes with that. Going back means abandoning that, and your lifestyle, for a life of study and budgeting for 4 years. Even now as I type this I remember the stress of it all.

Another point is the psychological position you may be putting yourself in as your friends get qualified and experience success as you struggle to catch up. This was a massive issue for me. When I eventually went to college at the age of 25, all my friends were qualified as doctors, architects, engineers and fund managers. They were able to afford to on multiple expensive holidays a year that I simply could not afford (even had I stayed earning my monthly income for slightly above minimum wage). This knocked my confidence and made me feel worthless by comparison. I now have a masters degree and earn a good living, but I still feel inadequate because I am 6 years behind in my professional development compared to my friends.

Right now you have an opportunity to get qualified on the state's dime. Take it an run with it. As Heraclitus said 'The only constant in life is change' and this country still offers its citizens an amazing educational opportunity that we oft take for granted. Circumstances as they are right now might lead to dramatic changes in these opportunities and it is not a decision you should take lightly.

I'm not saying you will have the same issues as I did, or the same insecurities about your development. But I wish I had someone to tell me the issues that I might experience all those years ago. What I am trying to say is that the decision you are mulling over is a LOT bigger than I think you appreciate and its not something to take lightly.

Whatever you choose to do, I do hope you end up happy and fulfilled!

Advertisement