Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going back to college

Options
  • 17-03-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have been told of a grant available for keeping your job and getting back to college where your employer gets a grant for allowing you to go back to education and I would also get a back to school allowance as a mature student? Has anyone else heard of this?? I'm 33 and also feel like packing it in and getting educated, I havn't been able to find any other information on this as it would certainly be a solution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

You should definitely go back to college while youre still young don't let having a cosy job put you off unless you really want to work as a receptionist for the rest of your life.
    Nursing is a vocation, the starting salary is awful, the hours can be really tough (if working in hospital) also if working in healthcare you will find yourself dealing with people who have a lot of issues and may be quite aggressive.But if its what you really want to do that won't put you off.
    My advise would be to figure out what you enjoy doing and see if there are any jobs that match that, nothing beats being in a job that you love and are passionate about.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I've never heard of such a grant. To get back to education allowance, you must be on the dole for 9 months prior to going to third level. There's different lengths of time for other social welfare payments. And you can get it much quicker if you've been made statutorily redundant.

Was it a social welfare scheme you heard about? Perhaps it was an internal one run by a company, where they pay your educational fees and give you study leave?

Advertisement