Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decommissioning Guns

Options
  • 19-03-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Right lads the father has two old shotguns and hes thinking of getting them decommissioned. They're ancient and doubt their worth anything apart from the fact they've been in the family for years. So I want to know can you get a firearm decommissioned and keep it? I.e. not a firearm any more so no licensing or gunsafe requirments?

Cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Yes you can have a firearm decommissioned and keep it. Once the gun has been completed you need a letter from who ever did it explaining what was done to put it beyond use i.e firing pins removed, barrels drilled etc. you then take the letter to your local super who will grant you an authorisation to have it in your possession. He can attach certain conditions like keeping it in a locked case or a gun cabinet but that varies from super to super.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hunter91

Thanks Mezamo, we would really like to keep them, they're two old hammer action shotties, one single barrel J. Stevens, the other a double barrel of unknown make...

Next question would be who could put the guns beyond use? I'm an engineer and know I could do it as well as anyone but doubt the AGS would accept this. Should I talk to my RFD?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

AFAIK it has to be a gunsmith who does it and certifies it.. but I could be wrong

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It must be done by a Registered Firearms dealer. If they ever appeared again, in use, then the RFD is responsible so doing it yourself will not work, nor wil any dealer sign off on work you've done yourself.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement