Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding/Grant for Masters

Options
  • 19-03-2014 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm trying to find out what financial support is available for a dependent mature-student doing a Masters. I'm in the final year of my degree and I'm on BTEA.

I've been looking at the relevant section on citizensinformation.ie and it states this:
    Disadvantaged postgraduate students who meet a number of conditions can get tuition fees paid and essential field trips (up to €6,270).

To qualify for the special rate of grant for disadvantaged students:

- You must have satisfied the conditions for the standard maintenance grant under the Student Grant Scheme for the academic year 2013-2014. Detailed information on the standard maintenance grant is available in out document on Grants for student in further and higher education
    - Your total reckonable income in the tax year January to December 2012 must not be more than €22,703, net of social welfare Qualified Child Increases and standard exclusions
    - If you are an independent student, you must be getting certain social welfare payment or participating in a designated programme on 31 December 2012 – see below. If you are dependent on your parents, your parent(s)/guardian(s) must be getting certain social welfare payment or participating in a designated programme on 31 December 2012 – see below.

Do I have to satisfy all of these? The first two are fine, but the third is worrying me. My mam is not on social welfare or a designated programme. However, she does not earn much and has always fallen under the threshold for my registration fee, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yes, you have to satisfy all of the criteria listed. If you don't meet those criteria you might be eligible for the €2000 grant contribution towards post grad fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Yes, you have to satisfy all of the criteria listed. If you don't meet those criteria you might be eligible for the €2000 grant contribution towards post grad fees.

Thanks. It looks like I may leave it off for a year or two :(

Advertisement