Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars watching Houses

Options
  • 19-03-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong Forum. I live in a housing estate with a road running down the centre dividing the estate in half but is not a busy or main road, in front of row of houses is an inlet where cars can pull in etc. I have noticed over the last two weeks two different cars pulled in here in the mornings, they are men in suits in the cars they are taking photos of the houses making notes and making calls. I am feeling so paranoid, but also a little scared by this. I am not sure who or what they are watching, but it is always on a weekday and before lunctime. Should I be concerened? I have noted the cars desciption but did not get the registrations.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If there are people acting suspiciously in your neighbourhood, then you should notify the Gardai and they will investigate. There could be an innocent explanation, but no harm in reporting it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Men in suits would suggest perhaps auctioneers or someone of that nature. However, Im inclined to agree; if they are there regularly taking pictures of your house then I would be taking their reg number and calling the Gardai.

I might actually be inclined to out and ask them just what they think they are doing, however how brave I might feel depends a lot on how rough they look! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colaheart98

I have thought the same perhaps auctioneers, bank staff or even revenue or SW watching someone but I would have expected they have more open tactics to catch fraudlent cases if they were watching someone on the street. On both occasions the driver was a man of a certain age and they did look rather respectable. I wanted to be brave and inquire what they were doing but wasnt brave enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

I have thought the same perhaps auctioneers, bank staff or even revenue or SW watching someone but I would have expected they have more open tactics to catch fraudlent cases if they were watching someone on the street. On both occasions the driver was a man of a certain age and they did look rather respectable. I wanted to be brave and inquire what they were doing but wasnt brave enough :)

Do they eat donuts?

No Donuts!! ;) They dont hang around for long enough..I could offer them a cup of tea next time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

djimi wrote: »
    Men in suits would suggest perhaps auctioneers or someone of that nature. However, Im inclined to agree; if they are there regularly taking pictures of your house then I would be taking their reg number and calling the Gardai.

I might actually be inclined to out and ask them just what they think they are doing, however how brave I might feel depends a lot on how rough they look! :p

I have walked up to people walking around my estate to find out who they were and why they were there. On two occasions after I had called the Gardai with their registrations.

Don't ever be afraid to approach people acting suspiciously in YOUR estate/neighbourhood!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not illegal, but certainly sounds a bit suspicious! Can you take the reg and give the local station a call? Unlikely to be for illegal activity, but better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ring cops, especially if there are kids around also. People need to realise they can't just hang around estates anonymously without good reason. I am sick of people coming into my estate just because its got a nice green or they want to learn to drive........

TheDriver wrote: »
    People need to realise they can't just hang around estates anonymously without good reason.

Why cant they? Its one thing parking outside someones house and taking pictures, but an estate is a public place and you cant stop someone from entering it just because you dont feel they have good reason to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ring cops, especially if there are kids around also. People need to realise they can't just hang around estates anonymously without good reason. I am sick of people coming into my estate just because its got a nice green or they want to learn to drive........

Ahh, actually, they can unless asked to move on by a guard, or served with a trespass notice (or whatever they're called here).

If yiou don't like that, buy in a gated community.

That said, OP I agree with the advice to ring the guards, but use the local station number not the emergency one. And be aware that if you do it too often (eg every time a strange car parks in your estate), you will get a reputation as a nut-job and they will become less responsive to your calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

People need to realise they can't just hang around estates anonymously without good reason. I am sick of people coming into my estate just because its got a nice green or they want to learn to drive........

Why's That?

There could be many valid reasons for people to park up in estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Call the Gardaí if they Gardaí stop them and they've nothing to hide then no worries, better to be safe then sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Revenue have started clamping down on people operating businesses from their home - hairdressers for example. I've heard other stories of Revenue employees on 'stakeout'... taking photos etc. Might be them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

could well be social welfare checkers seeing if people who are claiming benefit or disability etc are actually heading off to work in the morning. Really, could be loads of things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong Forum. I live in a housing estate with a road running down the centre dividing the estate in half but is not a busy or main road, in front of row of houses is an inlet where cars can pull in etc. I have noticed over the last two weeks two different cars pulled in here in the mornings, they are men in suits in the cars they are taking photos of the houses making notes and making calls. I am feeling so paranoid, but also a little scared by this. I am not sure who or what they are watching, but it is always on a weekday and before lunctime. Should I be concerened? I have noted the cars desciption but did not get the registrations.

ALWAYS note the registration of the vehicle if you are concerned. It surprises me that many do not do this even though they post in forums about their concerns. Just do it as a precaution and ring the Gardaí if you are worried.

Revenue have started clamping down on people operating businesses from their home - hairdressers for example. I've heard other stories of Revenue employees on 'stakeout'... taking photos etc. Might be them?

I have a strong feeling they ''revenue'' are watching someone I am lucky not to be claiming anything at the moment, however even if somone nearby was its very sly tactics to spy on people rather than being upfront!

Thanks for the tips all, I shall defo be reporting to guards..I dont want to appeat like the local nutter, or Dot Cotton but in this case I feel there is good reason :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Revenue, Social Welfare, even Department of Agriculture inspectors- can all legitimately park in any public area and photograph any premises that is the subject of an ongoing investigation. They do not have to tell you what they are doing- they are obliged to identify themselves however, if challenged (nothing more). In any event- normally their security passes on the windscreen are more than sufficient to identify the occupants, without ever engaging them in conversation. Given the brief description you've given, and the time of day they're there- it sounds more like DSFA inspectors, than it does anyone.

Report them to the Gardai by all means- if you're suspicious- if they have a legitimate reason to be there- they will have no difficulty explaining it to any Garda- however, there is a strong likelihood that it'll be one of their colleagues there the following day- and perhaps not as conspicuously as they were.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It could, as others have suggested, be Revenue or SW checking up on somebody. Another possibility is an insurance company investigating a claim. Or a mistrustful spouse/partner hiring a private investigator.

So if you are tax-compliant, are not claiming SW payments to which you are not entitled, have not made a dodgy insurance claim, and are not in a fragile relationship, then you probably should not worry.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Why's That?

There could be many valid reasons for people to park up in estates.

Maybe its because I am in a "ghost" estate and you start noticing the same people coming in and out using it for reasons other than fair game. I think a driving school bringing lessons in because its quiet is not fair or alternatively groups bringing their dogs for a walk (they live outside the estate) and leave their crap everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Call the gardi or ask the men what their doing!
    Theirs an idea a community watch tread on boards where people report suspicious cars and people in their community or even to let people know if local homes have been robbed?

• Advertisement

Maybe its because I am in a "ghost" estate and you start noticing the same people coming in and out using it for reasons other than fair game. I think a driving school bringing lessons in because its quiet is not fair or alternatively groups bringing their dogs for a walk (they live outside the estate) and leave their crap everywhere

Driving schools use estates up and down the country; its precisely because they are quiet roads is why they use them. Thats not going to change in this country any time soon.

Likewise people walking dogs etc. If they are causing a mess with their dogs then you can report them (for littering I think), but you cannot stop people using public roads for any purpose that they like (within the law of course).

djimi is 100% correct.
    If owners leave dog poop around the place- report them for littering.
    You have absolutely no right to try to keep learner drivers- or anyone else- out of the estate though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It's a public place. So you have no right to tell people to leave or ask their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

You have Dealer's living in your estate & the men in cars are guards in unmarkeked cars.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    It's a public place. So you have no right to tell people to leave or ask their business.

I never said anything about asking them to leave. however having cars revving up and conking out constantly is annoying when you want to make some progress through the estate. The main gripe with driving schools is that all their clients come in with their own cars to practice also so its becomes very busy and hence we may as well live on the main road at times. An annoyance

I never said anything about asking them to leave. however having cars revving up and conking out constantly is annoying when you want to make some progress through the estate. The main gripe with driving schools is that all their clients come in with their own cars to practice also so its becomes very busy and hence we may as well live on the main road at times. An annoyance

You could contact the driving school and ask them nicely to find somewhere else to bring their students, but somehow I doubt it will make a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

djimi wrote: »
    You could contact the driving school and ask them nicely to find somewhere else to bring their students, but somehow I doubt it will make a difference!

and they would ask you what specific incident you were complaining about..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If there is suspicious activity you should report it to the relevant authority. A polite request as to how's things may remove unwanted or unsavory characters ts from your local area.

If they are photographing you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did the car have two aerials? if not its the social welfare hunting down a bloke doing nixers or a single mother

Advertisement