Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars watching Houses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Lads I hate to bust anyone's bubble but I note the 'call the gardai' nugget has popped up a lot. What on earth will they do, or ye expect them to do?

They'll do shag all. And even if they do look up a reg they will not tell you who owns it unless they're a mate and doing it off record. I've personal experience of this when a few lads from a not so popular "minority " gang were plonked outside the folks farm a few weeks ago. The local cops would disclose FA. My dad knew another guard who ran the reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

digzy wrote: »
    Lads I hate to bust anyone's bubble but I note the 'call the gardai' nugget has popped up a lot. What on earth will they do, or ye expect them to do?

They'll do shag all. And even if they do look up a reg they will not tell you who owns it unless they're a mate and doing it off record. I've personal experience of this when a few lads from a not so popular "minority " gang were plonked outside the folks farm a few weeks ago. The local cops would disclose FA. My dad knew another guard who ran the reg.
    No, They won't give out information, but they should send a patrol around to check them out. If they have a legitimate reason to be there, fine. If they don't, you can be sure they'll move onto new pastures once they realise the eye is on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

If they are photographing you?
    Yes, unless the photographer is on private ground, or the one being photographed has an expectation of privacy (e.g. he is in his house, being photographed through an open window), you can't do anything about being photographed and these pictures being published.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mdebets wrote: »
    Yes, unless the photographer is on private ground, or the one being photographed has an expectation of privacy (e.g. he is in his house, being photographed through an open window), you can't do anything about being photographed and these pictures being published.

Anyone can report suspicious activity either to the Gardai / Neighbourhood watch / community alert / text service

I know if I found anyone taking pictures of my property I would report them straight away. As a deterrent take a photograph of them including licence plate and close up of the individual doing so. Should make them uncomfortable enough to back off in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

gozunda wrote: »
    Anyone can report suspicious activity either to the Gardai / Neighbourhood watch / community alert / text service

I know if I found anyone taking pictures of my property I would report them straight away. As a deterrent take a photograph of them including licence plate and close up of the individual doing so. Should make them uncomfortable enough to back off in a hurry.
    Of course you can, everybody can report anyone to the Guards for doing anything, but the Guards can do nothing about the pictures of your property being taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Could well be one of Joan Burton's crew. A person claiming lone parents while their partner is there most every night is a well known fraud.

Or it may be someone doing work for an insurance company and the lad next door with the crippled neck was seen playing wing back for the local football team.

I don't think the gardai are going to help you. If it realy bothers you just approach and ask

mdebets wrote: »
    Of course you can, everybody can report anyone to the Guards for doing anything, but the Guards can do nothing about the pictures of your property being taken.

And so can the property owner by being proactive and discouraging any suspicious activity by reporting it and take a photo record of anyone doing same...not to many will hang around if they think you are taking a record and / or reporting them.

Anyone with any sense would ask permission in my opinion. Otherwise they risk being brought to the attention of authorities who may very well take an interest in their activities especially where it is repeated / interfering / pestering

Someone taking photographs for example of your property with children playing etc cannot expect to go unchallenged or unreported

Always a good idea to ask if you have any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

pablo128 wrote: »
    No, They won't give out information, but they should send a patrol around to check them out. If they have a legitimate reason to be there, fine. If they don't, you can be sure they'll move onto new pastures once they realise the eye is on them.

I agree. The cops 'should' send a patrol. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I'm no legal expert, but it don't think the cops have a right to question someone sitting in their car ina public place.

digzy wrote: »
    I agree. The cops 'should' send a patrol. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I'm no legal expert, but it don't think the cops have a right to question someone sitting in their car ina public place.

Under the non fatal offences against the person Act - Section 10 provides:
    “(1) Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence."

So someone who persistently sitting in a car and watching / photographing / observing another person could very well be committing an offence.

The public place bit is immaterial if they are obviously targeting a person or persons.

The other thing is that most people would be generally unhappy about their details being made known to the Gardai - reg number, description etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Could well be one of Joan Burton's crew. A person claiming lone parents while their partner is there most every night is a well known fraud.

That's probably what it is alright. A woman I work with was caught claiming the lone parents allowance while her partner was living with her. She was told that they had sent a Private Investigator out to her house over a few weeks to prove that he was in fact living with her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

If you ring the Gardaí just say that you think these people are watching little girls going to school. You don't have to give your name. The Gardaí will check them out and if they remain there you will know that they aren't criminals. After that it's none of your business

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    If you ring the Gardaí just say that you think these people are watching little girls going to school. You don't have to give your name. The Gardaí will check them out and if they remain there you will know that they aren't criminals. After that it's none of your business
    What's the point in telling lies of that type? It's potentially defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What's the point in telling lies of that type? It's potentially defamation.

I concur. ring them with general suspicion

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Turn the table on them. Get out there with your own camera and take some pics of them. ;)

If you don't want them to know where you are then leave in your car, park in another street, walk back and take the pics!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

TheDriver wrote: »
    I concur. ring them with general suspicion

They'll respond quicker if you mention a risk to children. You are concerned about their activities, there are children in the estate. You are not saying that they are definetely targeting children but it's a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

They'll respond quicker if you mention a risk to children. You are concerned about their activities, there are children in the estate. You are not saying that they are definetely targeting children but it's a possibility
    The idea is appalling. People react very strongly to adults taking an inappropriate interest in children, and it is a serious step to suggest that anybody is doing so if you don't have a good foundation for your suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Accusing people of being a paedophile, which is what you explicitly suggested, without an indication whatsoever is disgusting behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Please stop making these kinds of posts.

Advertisement