Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Policy in relation to goods not fit for purpose - legal?

Options
  • 19-03-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Bought some lights goods off Lidl last December, they aren't fit for purpose, i.e. they were designed for outdoors but have not withstood the tests of a very short time, they leaked and are now no longer working.

Received email saying the following - "
    As it is over 60 days since the date of purchase, we can only offer a replacement for the product. Please provide your postal address and we will arrange for the supplier to send the replacement to you directly."

Now as the product is clearly not fit for it's purpose (to be used outdoors) there is really not much point in them sending me another product for me to be sending it back to them again in 3 months.

Must I accept the replacement in this case?, there is a 3 year warranty with the goods and I have the receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Did they leak during the hurricane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Repair, replace refund. As there is little point in a repair in this case a replacement seems a fair response. If the replacements prove faulty as well then a refund should follow and I woukds agree to the replacement on this understanding with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

emeldc wrote: »
    Did they leak during the hurricane?

Don't know when they leaked but something designed for outdoors shouldn't leak imo.
    Repair, replace refund. As there is little point in a repair in this case a replacement seems a fair response. If the replacements prove faulty as well then a refund should follow and I woukds agree to the replacement on this understanding with them.

Thanks, I understand the 3 x r's but seems crazy that the product won't break down like the first ones.

Perhaps I'll accept the replacements, as you say, on the understanding that If I have further problems I will only accept a refund.

Thanks for help y'all

vicwatson wrote: »
    Don't know when they leaked but something designed for outdoors shouldn't leak imo.l

That's true, but my house is 10 years old and leaked for the first time ever during the storm. I also lost 8 fencing panels, two shed doors and four trees. All are designed for outdoor use. The point I'm making is, the weather was exceptional and maybe the items would be fine under normal conditions. I think you should take the replacements and if they leak again you will have a good case then to get a refund.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Don't know when they leaked but something designed for outdoors shouldn't leak imo.

Within reason, I completely agree, as a blanket, no exceptions rule I don't - ie. they're not built to be indestructible and if you left them out during some fairly terrible weather (some might say the worst we've experienced in a decade) you should happily take that replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Perhaps I'll accept the replacements, as you say, on the understanding that If I have further problems I will only accept a refund....
    That's the best way to go. You should not even need to spell out your condition: if a replacement fails, they cannot force another on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Must I accept the replacement in this case?, there is a 3 year warranty with the goods and I have the receipt.
    [/FONT]

Well there you go, make a warranty claim.

What are the goods and how were they being used?

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Well there you go, make a warranty claim.

What are the goods and how were they being used?

In effect, aren't the goods being replaced .............. under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My sister had 2 vacuum cleaners fail and then still got a refund, so it is possible.

Make sure you make a photo copy of the receipt or the supplier will take it away with the faulty item.

Advertisement