Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada working holiday visa,how much should i bring over there?is ?E2500 ok?

Options
  • 19-03-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Canada working holiday visa,how much should i bring over there?is E2500 ok?I have'nt any job set up yet.I am qualified in Air conditioning but I might just go for a labouring job?im thinking of doing a house share then hostel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭john_jobin

Canada working holiday visa,how much should i bring over there?is E2500 ok?I have'nt any job set up yet.I am qualified in Air conditioning but I might just go for a labouring job?im thinking of doing a house share then hostel.

€2500 is the minimum funds you have to bring over, so if you do only bring over that much be sure to have a return flight booked too, otherwise they may reject you at the border

• Registered Users Posts: 39 leechris007

Well 2500 dollars you need for getting in but is it hard getting set up there?thinking of going to edmonton.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Well 2500 dollars you need for getting in but is it hard getting set up there?thinking of going to edmonton.

It's 2500 dollars so . 2500 euro is about what 3800 cad realistic you really wanna have like double that yourr money won't last long cause Canada isn't cheap. Plus money set aside for just incase too . I mean your in a different country you won't have anyone to help ya out with help like you would here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

It's 2500 dollars so . 2500 euro is about what 3800 cad realistic you really wanna have like double that yourr money won't last long cause Canada isn't cheap. Plus money set aside for just incase too . I mean your in a different country you won't have anyone to help ya out with help like you would here.

Bring as much as possible, you will bleed money at the start, you will have to buy everything!!
    Accommodation will eat through that money pretty fast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 robcarty011rc

I have $8.5K saved for it & still would like more than that. You have to remember that as soon as you get accomodation thats likely to be $1K gone straight away.

• Advertisement

where in Canada will you go with 8.5k?

where in Canada will you go with 8.5k?

Toronto. I've had mates go over with 8 or 9 k and within 6 months are down to their last 1 or 2 k.

That's stupidity and treating the visa purely as a holiday. I do want to spend a bit of time having fun but primarily going to work. If I get a job fairly sharpish and budget well I hopefully won't have too many money worries

6 months without working?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

6 months without a job? All of them? Good grief!

Theres was 5 of them & only two could find jobs in the first few months. I think anyone who thinks that they'll be getting a decent full time job straight off the plane really has the wrong idea.

But like i say, those lads treated it like a holiday like many Irish do & spend all their money on booze. If you have any sort of cop on youd be able to manage on 3 or 4 grand while looking for a job I'm sure. I just want to make sure I'm never stuck for money over there

• Advertisement

Toronto. I've had mates go over with 8 or 9 k and within 6 months are down to their last 1 or 2 k.

That's stupidity and treating the visa purely as a holiday. I do want to spend a bit of time having fun but primarily going to work. If I get a job fairly sharpish and budget well I hopefully won't have too many money worries
    I'm the same man plan on going with no less then 10 k+ and I won't be treating it like a holiday as well .plan on setting out looking for work right away.

i might have 3k in euros but ill be keeping it tight.maybe a stop off in Boston for 2 days before Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I'm bringing €20,153. €3-5k just wasn't enough.

I'm just finishing up college now at the minute so I'm pretty broke! Going to work at home until maybe around Christmas and save up a bit of a nest egg to keep me going for a while, Hopefully around €10,000

Only 20 k ehh lol

20 k sounds like you dont need to move country.

Well la di da! No recession around NewsMeQuicks place! :p

20 k sounds like you dont need to move country.

Who's to say NewsMeQuick hasn't been saving for years for the opportunity to start a new life like this.

It's a Working Holiday Visa too. Plenty of people are doing this to travel and see the world, not just to get jobs!

john_jobin wrote: »
    Who's to say NewsMeQuick hasn't been saving for years for the opportunity to start a new life like this.

It's a Working Holiday Visa too. Plenty of people are doing this to travel and see the world, not just to get jobs!

Thanks for the analysis John!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wexman2213

I plan on heading over in june,with around 3k euros, plan on getting work after a few weeks, im a carpenter by trade and ive being talking to a few gaa clubs over there and they said youl pick up casual work very handy and 3000 is more than enough

• Advertisement

Nice one.I do refrigeration and air conditioning but I need to do a coarse for there way of things.So I should be able to get some working labouring or something.3000 should be enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wexman2213

All depends where to go now i am thinking vancover or alberta thats where ive bein told that the construction industry is booming, im travelling alone, im a 26yr old male, anyone else in the same boat?

Ya Im gone alone to but Edmonton looks the place for me.Everyone seems to go to Vancover and toronto.

john_jobin wrote: »

lol ive talked to news on here hes going to get work too like 99.9999% of people now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I intend to have temporary accommodation booked before I travel, and a full time position start date agreed within 4 - 6 weeks of arrival (arranged before I leave Ireland!). Should give me time to find permanent place to live, and do a bit of exploring before I start full time employment. :)

I don't plan on actually travelling until maybe March 2015, so I have plenty of time to save money!

GrumPy wrote: »
    I intend to have temporary accommodation booked before I travel, and a full time position start date agreed within 4 - 6 weeks of arrival (arranged before I leave Ireland!). Should give me time to find permanent place to live, and do a bit of exploring before I start full time employment. :)

I don't plan on actually travelling until maybe March 2015, so I have plenty of time to save money!

The job part like that unless you're in the trades is far easier said then done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The job part like that unless you're in the trades is far easier said then done

I'm in IT, plenty of work. I won't travel unless I have a confirmed job agreed.

GrumPy wrote: »
    I'm in IT, plenty of work. I won't travel unless I have a confirmed job agreed.

likewise im a sys admin but might not be traveling then with that opinion . vast majority of company's wont look at you , without a Canadian address and number . plus the hiring system over there is rather drawn out unlike here . ive been on to recruiters too , they will tell you the same. im not saying you wont get work because you will but chances are you wont get it before you go to leave tho .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'll be going with approx 4k, I don't plan on being fussy on what job I get in order to get set up in Toronto. Bar work would be preferable as I'm going solo and would like to socialize!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Flutterby33

I'll be going with approx 4k, I don't plan on being fussy on what job I get in order to get set up in Toronto. Bar work would be preferable as I'm going solo and would like to socialize!

Same here, I have a place to stay initially though so that takes some weight off around deposits and stuff. See you at a bar in TO!:P

Advertisement