Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada working holiday visa,how much should i bring over there?is ?E2500 ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

I applied to the job I'm in now (in Toronto) from Dublin. There were parts of the process I could do from a distance (such as an initial Skype chat and a code exam) but nothing was offered until I met them in person in the office. Which is fair enough, really - there's no point in them sticking their necks out too far for the sake of someone who might bottle it and not show up.

After I met with them here it was almost exactly a month before I started. I applied to the company directly rather than via a recruiter so if you see the opportunity to do so, I'd recommend trying to do the same - it could shave a couple of weeks off your initial start date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

nothing was offered until I met them in person in the office.

was kinda what i was gonna get at there going to be no actual job offer until your there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Same here, I have a place to stay initially though so that takes some weight off around deposits and stuff. See you at a bar in TO!:P

Ha, I think I'd have a place to stay for the 1st week if I was stuck but I'm actually keen on getting into the hostel scene for a week or two. It's how a lot of the solo travelers get roommates etc!

But yes, see you at the bar!! Get the first round in!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 leechris007

There so much to set up again when over,sim card , Canadian pps number,bank account,accommodation and most important a job.Then I might to get a car ,then I have to change to there driving licence class 5.Can I do any of that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

I applied to the job I'm in now (in Toronto) from Dublin. There were parts of the process I could do from a distance (such as an initial Skype chat and a code exam) but nothing was offered until I met them in person in the office. Which is fair enough, really - there's no point in them sticking their necks out too far for the sake of someone who might bottle it and not show up.

After I met with them here it was almost exactly a month before I started. I applied to the company directly rather than via a recruiter so if you see the opportunity to do so, I'd recommend trying to do the same - it could shave a couple of weeks off your initial start date.

What industry are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 aerotuned

Hello, I'm on the same boat heading to edmonton on the 12th of April, no job no nothing, I'm a carpenter, hope n to wing it and see where it goes, typical , I've about 2 g sterling and that's it.
    Leaving a decent job with decent pay in the uk,
    Don't know any 1 over really either , looks like I won't be able to meet ye in the bar:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

aerotuned wrote: »
    Hello, I'm on the same boat heading to edmonton on the 12th of April, no job no nothing, I'm a carpenter, hope n to wing it and see where it goes, typical , I've about 2 g sterling and that's it.
    Leaving a decent job with decent pay in the uk,
    Don't know any 1 over really either , looks like I won't be able to meet ye in the bar:(

I wouldn't worry too much man. Look at it as "glass half full" ;)
    It's exciting, and you'll be in your element in no time. Keep your ears and eyes open and do as much research as you can between now and when you get there. Get chatting to people in bars, too. :D Often, it's who you know; not what you know. :)

Ah ya I'll try it any way ,have a 1 way ticket booked, jobs always here when I get back.

you must have your visa got already if you booked for April?

you must have your visa got already if you booked for April?

Last years didn't use it , will be up by the 15th of April if I don't go. Must try get work now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

Software, seems to be a few jobs about for those with a chunk of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Even though im not going until early 2015, would it be a good idea to exchange some euros for CAD now? With the current exchange rate?! Obviously im not saying I want to fill a trunk with Canadian cash haha just a little savings.

When you consider $150 was €120 last year but €100 now.

guest124 wrote: »
    Even though im not going until early 2015, would it be a good idea to exchange some euros for CAD now? With the current exchange rate?! Obviously im not saying I want to fill a trunk with Canadian cash haha just a little savings.

Interesting point! If you're unsure, I can mind your euro's and make sure you get the best exchange rate? Just forward me your current account details and 3 digit debit card verification in a PM and I'll get working on it.

GrumPy wrote: »
    Interesting point! If you're unsure, I can mind your euro's and make sure you get the best exchange rate? Just forward me your current account details and 3 digit debit card verification in a PM and I'll get working on it.

Haha. Thank you kind stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Flutterby33

Good point Guest124.. now you have me thinking about doing that. Can't really see it improving much more than it is right now, although you never know!

Good point Guest124.. now you have me thinking about doing that. Can't really see it improving much more than it is right now, although you never know!

Yeah, finance and that all money market stuff is not my forte, so i dont know if the canadian dollar is still weakening or if it is getting stronger!

Same option goes to you Flutterby33. Just PM me your details and I'll look into it on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Flutterby33

GrumPy wrote: »
    Same option goes to you Flutterby33. Just PM me your details and I'll look into it on your behalf.

Truly a kind soul ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

If you are interested in exchanging money now for use in one year, I'd say don't do it.

Look at the rate here: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=EURCAD=X&t=3m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

The Euro to Canadian Dollar exchange rate (EUR/CAD) has been on the rise in value for the past year and a half roughly. You can see it in the chart yourself (in the 5 year view it gives better perspective). If you had two people in one family who went to Canada, one person went one year ago, and the other now, the expense difference is phenomenal. The person who went a year ago would have had to save up the equivalent of one month living expenses extra (single person, sharing) to match the value in dollars that the other family member going now gets. That's how much the EUR/CAD has appreciated in value in one year. (1.27 vs 1.5x)

I was thinking about exchanging money 3 months ago and I'm so glad I didn't. It's still rising. The last week or so it has dipped but only a fraction and it's normal. I'd say if Greece goes officially bankrupt (very unlikely now) then I'd change because the Euro would fall through the floor.

There's really two sides to why this is happening, confidence in the Eurozone and in Canada. The rise of the Euro for the last year and a half is directly related to the increased stability of the Eurozone countries, especially Greece, after, Ireland, Spain, Portugal. If you google it you'll find comments from the Canadian government 'preferring a weaker Canadian dollar' so they're happy to play with economic tools to allow this change. (cheaper exports for one).

For use in a year I wouldn't change either €100 for the fee or €4000 for living expenses.

Thanks NewsMeQuick! So you reckon the exchange rate will get better or at least stay about the same for awhile yet. I'll just keep my eye on the rate anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

No worries. You can't predict too far, but the rate on the link above, if you can, click on the 5 year view. It was slow to open when I posted above. I noticed that the rate was more stable (and much higher) a few years ago. Essentially, as the Eurozone recovers, the rate does. So the rate is returning to normal. As long as there isn't an emergency economic meltdown in Europe, yep I've no doubt it will climb.

p.s. to show the change in the last year, you probably noticed the fee cost €120 last year. This year, it was about €100. Now imagine what that does to 3,000 / 4,000 /5,000. I'm stunned and thrilled that we've gained more value for when we land over there.

No worries. You can't predict too far, but the rate on the link above, if you can, click on the 5 year view. It was slow to open when I posted above. I noticed that the rate was more stable (and much higher) a few years ago. Essentially, as the Eurozone recovers, the rate does. So the rate is returning to normal. As long as there isn't an emergency economic meltdown in Europe, yep I've no doubt it will climb.

p.s. to show the change in the last year, you probably noticed the fee cost €120 last year. This year, it was about €100. Now imagine what that does to 3,000 / 4,000 /5,000. I'm stunned and thrilled that we've gained more value for when we land over there.

Yeah! Thats what got me thinking about exchanging money. I was worried if I didnt exchange now I'd regret it but going to wait it out for awhile now.

The 5year view won't load for me, will have to try on different browser later.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

john_jobin wrote: »
    I'm just finishing up college now at the minute so I'm pretty broke! Going to work at home until maybe around Christmas and save up a bit of a nest egg to keep me going for a while, Hopefully around €10,000

If you can afford to save €10,000 in 9-10months in Ireland then you really have no need to be going to Canada looking for work.I would definitely stay in the job that's youthose type of wages lol:D

stevplum wrote: »
    If you can afford to save €10,000 in 9-10months in Ireland then you really have no need to be going to Canada looking for work.I would definitely stay in the job that's youthose type of wages lol:D

Full time minimum wage job. Live at home with parents to feed and water you. No rent.no bills. No social life. Easily done! Plus, it's a working holiday visa. Not everyone is going to just work, to some it's more about the holiday with work to keep ya going.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

Wexman2213 wrote: »
    All depends where to go now i am thinking vancover or alberta thats where ive bein told that the construction industry is booming, im travelling alone, im a 26yr old male, anyone else in the same boat?

yep im in the same boat myself,just got my cla.Im 29 and a floor installer(resilient vinyl sheet,plank and tile).Ive been keeping an eye on the jobs over there since xmas and there does seem to be a few jobs in the alberta province in my line of work.I will go at anything while waiting to get a job in what I do full time but hopefully I will have one sorted fairly quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Full time minimum wage job. Live at home with parents to feed and water you. No rent.no bills. No social life. Easily done! Plus, it's a working holiday visa. Not everyone is going to just work, to some it's more about the holiday with work to keep ya going.
    You would be surprised how many people think money is the only reason to leave the home town.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

im only back from australia few months and currently doing mycic, if anyone has been to oz which now hard enough to get jobs on a working holiday visa and really expensive how would compare it to being in canada, wages wise, living wise and getting job wise thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

im only back from australia few months and currently doing mycic, if anyone has been to oz which now hard enough to get jobs on a working holiday visa and really expensive how would compare it to being in canada, wages wise, living wise and getting job wise thanks.

Canada isn't cheap. work all Depends on what's your looking to do really .so what ever money ya think your gonna need maybe double it going it's a expensive to get started up initially

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

ya ill bring 4500 euro but apply for jobs before i go and check hostel prices im not goign to party and go nuts i learnt my lesson in oz doing that blew 8k in 5 months inc when was working ha.

• Advertisement

Where are ye going in Canada lads?

Advertisement