Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Television Points

Options
  • 19-03-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I recently moved into a new house and It has 3 tv points. At present it does not have one in the room that I would like to make the main living room and I am looking at getting SKY in there.

Would anyone know how difficult/easy it would be to move a tv point or install another one? Does anyone know of an alternative solution to moving a tv point eg some sort of wireless device?

Thanks

C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rick Hall

Sky installers generally just stick up the dish, run the cables externally & bore holes in the wall to take the cables through to where the tv is located.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Although Sky installers are generally considered to be very fast and cheap I think it would be fair to say that they are not known for "high standards of workmanship".

My advice would be to get an electrician to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

You cannot relay the TV RF signals by wireless as this would violate the wireless telegraphy act. There are various solutions for wireless transmission of video and sound e.g video senders and wireless hdmi. However direct cabling is always best.
    I agree with post above. Get an electrician or competent installer to give you additional points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

When you say you can't relay the tv rf what does that mean and why can't you do it.

hexosan wrote: »
    When you say you can't relay the tv rf what does that mean and why can't you do it.

The television signals you receive on your antenna are called RF signals, an abbreviation for Radio Frequency. Transmission or retransmission of RF is controlled by Comreg. Control is necessary to prevent/limit interference.

You would not get a licence to transmit for your purpose and doing so unlicensed is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Cerco wrote: »
    The television signals you receive on your antenna are called RF signals, an abbreviation for Radio Frequency. Transmission or retransmission of RF is controlled by Comreg. Control is necessary to prevent/limit interference.
    That's a bit misleading.

"RF" incorporates all of the Radio Frequency spectrum - it doesn't just mean the TV band.

But you are right, the frequencies that tv signals are broadcast at are licensed and not for domestic use. You can't readily buy that sort of equipment anyway. There is a licensed part of the RF spectrum that video senders and the like use, and you can go out and buy these in a shop.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are other ways of doing this.

I frequently view TV over the internet on my iPad such as RTE player or 4OD. Apparently I could wirelessly send this or whatever is on my iPad screen to my TV over the wifi by using an Apple TV.

These units only cost €109 and offer a lot of flexibility.

cast_iron wrote: »
    That's a bit misleading.

"RF" incorporates all of the Radio Frequency spectrum - it doesn't just mean the TV band.

But you are right, the frequencies that tv signals are broadcast at are licensed and not for domestic use. You can't readily buy that sort of equipment anyway. There is a licensed part of the RF spectrum that video senders and the like use, and you can go out and buy these in a shop.
    I think if you read the full thread you would not be mislead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Cerco wrote: »
    I think if you read the full thread you would not be mislead
    The part where it was stated that "RF" was just tv signals was not correct. That was my only point.

I think many years ago, someone on boards corrected me on the very same point - I made the same mistake in terminology as yourself. It was nice to be corrected and I'm sure me and many others reading at the time learnt from it.

cast_iron wrote: »
    The part where it was stated that "RF" was just tv signals was not correct. That was my only point.

I think many years ago, someone on boards corrected me on the very same point - I made the same mistake in terminology as yourself. It was nice to be corrected and I'm sure me and many others reading at the time learnt from it.

And where did you read that statement ?
    Nobody stated that RF was just TV.
    The purpose of my response was to assist the OP and not confuse him by delineating the RF spectrum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement