Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadbeach Brisbane

Options
  • 19-03-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

What is this like to live in and for work? I know it is quite a distance from the city but is there much around in terms of work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Broadbeach is not Brisbane. It's Gold Coast. It's the Las Vegas of Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Thanks ballooba I realised that it was quite away from the city but is in the Brisbane region. It looks a nice area and just wondering what the opportunities are there.

It's in the Brisbane region as much as Drogheda is in the Dublin region. ;)

Broadbeach is a tacky tourist resort. It wouldn't be high up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

The Gold Coast has a lot of hospitality type jobs that you would expect to find in a major tourist destination. Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach are the busiest. The south of the Gold Coast is less full-on and more scenic: places like Coolangatta for example.

Obviously, there is likely to be more work in Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach due to the high concentration of bars and restaurants, but you could probably find something further south if you tried. This site has a reasonably up-to-date list of bars and cafes if you are looking for hospitality work, although there are many, many more than that. There are a few very busy Irish pubs in Surfers Paradise that would probably be a good place to start looking.

For any other kind of work (except agriculture, of course) you are probably better off in Brisbane or any other of the major cities. What are you looking for?

Thanks Phil thst is the kind of helpful information I was looking for. It is my son who is moving down to thst area. Workwise he has done retail bar construction has a hgv licence so will take anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

No worries. Like ballooba said, parts of the Gold coast can be a bit tacky - especially Surfers Paradise - but many younger travellers love it there. If your son wants to avoid that, Burleigh Heads and Coolangatta to the south are smaller seaside towns with better beaches and beautiful scenery. There will be less options for work, though it shouldn't be impossible to find if he is flexible.

Brisbane might be a bit quiet for some, so the nightlife of Surfers might be more appealing. It would not be an attractive commute between the two cities in my opinion. It is an hour drive at the best of time but could be over 2 hours on the worst days.

Thanks for all the info, he is definitely leaning towards the gold coast area so this will be useful for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Live in Brisbane and travel to Goldie in morning/home to Brisbane in evening is fine. Traffic is never too bad.

Live in Goldie and travel to Brisbane in the morning? Expect to get up before 5am to make it into the city for 8am.

irishmover wrote: »
    Live in Brisbane and travel to Goldie in morning/home to Brisbane in evening is fine. Traffic is never too bad.

Live in Goldie and travel to Brisbane in the morning? Expect to get up before 5am to make it into the city for 8am.
    The only flight I have ever missed in my life was due to booking out of Coolangatta to save a few quid. Got stuck on the Pacific Highway for three or four hours. I should have known seeing as it was the Friday of a public holiday weekend. Disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Jaysus the Pacific motorway during rush hour! And dont forget the prangs that happen every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

ballooba wrote: »
    The only flight I have ever missed in my life was due to booking out of Coolangatta to save a few quid. Got stuck on the Pacific Highway for three or four hours. I should have known seeing as it was the Friday of a public holiday weekend. Disaster.

Yup I was slightly inaccurate in what I said. It does happen on occasion going to the Gold Coast you meet heavy traffic but typically if you commute Monday to Friday either way you'll be way way way worse off going from Goldie to brissy.

Travelled for 4 months monday to Friday from Brisbane to broadbeach for work and felt very sorry for the poor saps sat in traffic half way up the motorway. Bloody crazy.

Do meet a little traffic in the evening times coming back to Brisbane but nothing like the other way.

irishmover wrote: »
    Yup I was slightly inaccurate in what I said. It does happen on occasion going to the Gold Coast you meet heavy traffic but typically if you commute Monday to Friday either way you'll be way way way worse off going from Goldie to brissy.

Travelled for 4 months monday to Friday from Brisbane to broadbeach for work and felt very sorry for the poor saps sat in traffic half way up the motorway. Bloody crazy.

Do meet a little traffic in the evening times coming back to Brisbane but nothing like the other way.
    I got stuck in the evening traffic from Brisbane even though I left at lunch time, just with the public holiday people were leaving early. Can be a total night mare.

Advertisement