Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease is up owner is looking to sell.

Options
  • 19-03-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi, I am living in an apartment for over 2 years now. The original 1 year lease was never renewed so we just carried on as we were.

Shortly after we moved in the property was put up for sale and we had several people in viewing it over the years but there was little chance of it selling due to the price. (according to the letting agent anyway).

Now the price has been reduced and the interest has gone up so it's likely it will be sold soon.

So my question is, what notice do they have to give me ? I'm very close to buying a house of my own so I don't want to have to leave and sign a new lease somewhere else and then in 3/4 months be looking to leave that to move in to my own house.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

johnson1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am living in an apartment for over 2 years now. The original 1 year lease was never renewed so we just carried on as we were.

Shortly after we moved in the property was put up for sale and we had several people in viewing it over the years but there was little chance of it selling due to the price. (according to the letting agent anyway).

Now the price has been reduced and the interest has gone up so it's likely it will be sold soon.

So my question is, what notice do they have to give me ? I'm very close to buying a house of my own so I don't want to have to leave and sign a new lease somewhere else and then in 3/4 months be looking to leave that to move in to my own house.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

This results in a part 4 tenancy. The required notice period (I think) is 42 days, but I need to double check.

Edit: you are over 2 years so its 56 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

Length of tenancy Notice by landlord
    Less than 6 months - 4 weeks (28 days)
    6 months to 1 year - 5 weeks (35 days)
    1 – 2 years - 6 weeks (42 days)
    2 – 3 years - 8 weeks (56 days)
    3 – 4 years - 12 weeks (84 days)
    4 years or more - 16 weeks (112 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

thanks for the replies,

I'm lucky that I didn't have to renew the lease or get the rent increased so I'm in a position to leave when I'm ready.

Hopefully I can get my self sorted within the time frames and get in to my own place.

thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

johnson1 wrote: »
    thanks for the replies,

I'm lucky that I didn't have to renew the lease or get the rent increased so I'm in a position to leave when I'm ready.

Hopefully I can get my self sorted within the time frames and get in to my own place.

thanks again.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement