Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 rounds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't think you'd buy a (smallbore*) batch that large (though I wouldn't be surprised if the US team had at some point), but if you've got a batch in the 10k-20k size, and you find a (much) better batch, it'd be saner to just buy that batch and *then* sell the older batch (or use it for training and smaller matches). Talking with the smallbore shooters off the international circuit over the years, it seems having six or seven batches in the safe is just not that uncommon a practice, even when it means that they have more rounds in their house than the Irish Defence Forces would fire off in a year (which is slightly unfair I suppose since the DF use slightly larger rounds :D ).

TL;DR - I still think 10k is unreasonably small for any serious ISSF shooter (I can't speak to other shooting sports, but if they're dumping that much lead downrange, the argument applies there too).

*air batches, on the other hand... well, you can run 10k pellets through my air rifle and it's not going to change the barrel enough to warrant a batch change, so you buy as much as you can carry out of the factory if you can :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    Talking with the smallbore shooters off the international circuit over the years, it seems having six or seven batches in the safe is just not that uncommon a practice

Yup, but it wouldn't be unusual for those folks to have a bunch of barrelled actions too, so 1-2 batches per barrel is a lot more reasonable.
    Sparks wrote: »
    TL;DR - I still think 10k is unreasonably small for any serious ISSF shooter

True. If I wanted to shoot at my current pace and never have to work around my ammo limit I'd need maybe 15-20,000 as the limit on the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

From talking to the Eley reps, a batch typically, depending on material limitations and such, comes out at between 25 and 30 thousand rounds. Some bigger, some smaller, but that's probably your ballpark. Also, as Conor said, after an extra ten thousand rounds, your barrel will shoot differently. Now, maybe that means your batch shoots even better, but maybe it doesn't. It won't be the same anyway. At the moment we're testing every five thousand or so (roughly every six months) and the control batches I've been bringing along have not performed as well as they did when I first got them. In fact, they've mostly been pretty unremarkable. It wouldn't be a bad idea to test and select ammo very shortly before important matches, and as you say, due to probably having the ends of various bits and pieces you're working through that aren't your current best stuff which you're chewing up in training and maybe smaller matches or three positions, where your best stuff is reserved for prone, you'd want an ammo limit somewhere north of 20k anyway.

Advertisement