Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain Barrels

• 19-03-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

With the imminent introduction of water charges does anyone know where I can buy a rain barrel (with a tap)? Come to think of it, what price are these things going for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,612 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aldi have one on special from tomorrow, €39.99

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Good deal! Currently on offer in Woodies for 49.99 - exact same product

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/210Lt-ProPlus-Large-Water-Butt-Kit/16652/4.7.4#.UyoWtah_vTo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I have that exact one and its really nice. I'm planning to daisy chain a second one on to it this weekend!
    In particular the three part stand is a big improvement over the last one i had with a single stand - makes adjusting bottom easier if the ground isn't perfectly level - the old one resulted in water overflow because i couldn't get the base perfectly level (the entrance hole to the barrel was too close to the top of it). This barrel has better design though for that as well as the entrance hole is about four cm down roughly allowing better tolerance when fitting it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I am the most cack handed person on Earth and the film accompanying that barrel puts it way beyond my ability! I was thinking more of an open top barrel with a tap!

I am the most cack handed person on Earth and the film accompanying that barrel puts it way beyond my ability! I was thinking more of an open top barrel with a tap!

Its really not that difficult. I haven't watched the video but from putting two up here in the past three years its very easy. All you need is a tape measure to measure where to cut, and a hacksaw to cut the downpipe. You'll also need a drill bit (a ~25mm wood drill bit will do) to cut the hole on the side of the barrel you want the water hose pipe to go into. Shouldnt take more than 30 mins all in and 15 mins of that will be messing about getting the barrel level if the site isn't level like mine (though maybe thats just me :) )!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi,you could use a ibc tank .it holds 1000l of water.jack. here is a video. ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLM1LGeRyAQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Supercell wrote: »
    Ito cut the hole on the side of the barrel you want the water hose pipe to go into.

I suppose it's down to the volume of water in the barrel and the position of the tap, but could you run a domestic power hose from it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I have that Butt, on a shed in work.
    The problem is the lack of pressure on the water in say a hose.
    I wanted it to water in a greenhouse.
    Because the barrell is only a foot off the ground, there is no pressure, lack of gravity fall.
    My advice would be to elevate it as high as possible, so gravity will give you a better flow.

You could put a submersible pump like in Aldi at the moment i suppose to give you sufficient pressure for a hose. I just use two watering cans - fill one up then put the other one under. By the time the first can is done watering the second one is filled. With practise you can time your watering pretty well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

You could put a submersible pump like in Aldi at the moment i suppose to give you sufficient pressure for a hose. I just use two watering cans - fill one up then put the other one under. By the time the first can is done watering the second one is filled. With practise you can time your watering pretty well!

I have done this....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

will that aldi waterbutt fit a square downpipe?

Also the pump they have, this likely to give any sort of decent pressure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Or you could dip a bucket into the barrel and fill up you cans with that. Much quicker.

Or you could dip a bucket into the barrel and fill up you cans with that. Much quicker.

For safety, it's important that the top of the butt, has a lid fitted, with the down pipe passing through a hole in the top.

An open topped butt, small children, does't bare thinking about.

martinn123 wrote: »
    For safety, it's important that the top of the butt, has a lid fitted, with the down pipe passing through a hole in the top.

An open topped butt, small children, does't bare thinking about.

The lid on mine comes off easily and I think it is designed that way and not designed to have the pipe plumbed into it. The pipe is plumbed into the side of the barrell just below the top. You are right about children but it is not a consideration in my case.

I got mine fitted by the builder as an afterthought when I got a new roof on my garage. I had the brilliant idea that I would put some seaweed and farmyard manure in it to make a sort of super compost tea. Which promptly clogged up the tap which hasn't worked since. But even before that the flow from the tap was very poor and it struck me as being a bit flimsy. My barrell is very like the Aldi one but I don't know where the builder got it.

The lid on mine comes off easily and I think it is designed that way and not designed to have the pipe plumbed into it. The pipe is plumbed into the side of the barrell just below the top. You are right about children but it is not a consideration in my case.

I got mine fitted by the builder as an afterthought when I got a new roof on my garage. I had the brilliant idea that I would put some seaweed and farmyard manure in it to make a sort of super compost tea. Which promptly clogged up the tap which hasn't worked since. But even before that the flow from the tap was very poor and it struck me as being a bit flimsy. My barrell is very like the Aldi one but I don't know where the builder got it.

Super compost tea, interesting idea, obviously the manure and seaweed, sank to the bottom and clogged up the outlet.
    You might need to fit some sort of filter, on the inside, to let the liquid flow and retain the solids, before they clog up the tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Most water butt connector kits include a reversible connection to allow for round and square downpipes- do check first.
    On the issue of the barrel being covered, apart from children, birds are susceptible to falling in and drowning and leaves will eventually clog up any tap so I would advise covering it regardless.

baaba maal wrote: »
    Most water butt connector kits include a reversible connection to allow for round and square downpipes- do check first.
    On the issue of the barrel being covered, apart from children, birds are susceptible to falling in and drowning and leaves will eventually clog up any tap so I would advise covering it regardless.

Mine is covered but like I said the lid lifts off easily. I just find it easier to dip a bucket in when I need water for the garden. Even if the tap did work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have one of these water buts i got it at a flower show in cork,
    i cannot praise it highly enough, i wash my windows, foothpats, drive, car, and floor mats with the free water god gave us,
    i use one of those watering cans for garden without its sprinkler to wash car, i suds car all over, and pour over the water,
    using one of those microfibre mits is brilliant way of getting car washed,
    i also use it to water plants,
    i also wash my duvets outside and use this water it beats hoses anyday

Advertisement