Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarms and windy days.

Options
  • 19-03-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Why do home owners, especially in Charlesland insist on leaving their windows slighty open and setting their house alarms whilst they're away for the day..?
    Since 7am, I can count at least 5 different Alarms contsently being set off because of this...

Is it pure stupidity or is it that they just don't give a feck about anyone else..?
    I like think it's a bit of both, anyway with a bit of luck the houses might get turned over and then might cop on...

Regards....

Night shift worker..!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Why do home owners, especially in Charlesland insist on leaving their windows slighty open and setting their house alarms whilst they're away for the day..?
    Since 7am, I can count at least 5 different Alarms contsently being set off because of this...

Is it pure stupidity or is it that they just don't give a feck about anyone else..?
    I like think it's a bit of both, anyway with a bit of luck the houses might get turned over and then might cop on...

Regards....

Night shift worker..!

I thought all new alarms reset after 20 mins of ringing?

Mine does... it calls me to say its going off then after 20 mins switches the noise off and resets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Regards....

Night shift worker..!

Charming! Maybe karma will be along to bite you on the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Charming! Maybe karma will be along to bite you on the ass

Doubt it love, I have CCTV which happens to be silent.. Besides I've more brains than most to leave the house with the alarm potentional being set off falsely..?

Crying wolf and all that...

cocker5 wrote: »
    I thought all new alarms reset after 20 mins of ringing?

Mine does... it calls me to say its going off then after 20 mins switches the noise off and resets.

All alarms should rest after 20 mins, but then the next gust of wind it's off again for another 20..!
    I like the idea of the siren being switch off after the first reset but the alarm still active..

Perhaps I could sell the dumb arses this type of alarm...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

If the alarm is not dialling out to someone it's pointless seeing as no one pays any attention to ringing bell boxes anyway.

• Advertisement

Huntthe wrote: »
    If the alarm is not dialling out to someone it's pointless seeing as no one pays any attention to ringing bell boxes anyway.

And why don't people pay attention to them..? That's right, because they are constantly going off...!

If home owners with alarms copped on a bit then when an alarm was set off then neighbours may have more interest in why it was set off rather being a nuisance and being ignored, at this stage they may aswell play a melody of some sort..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I don't disagree, still think an alarm that calls a monitoring station or sends a text to key holders is better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

Yes very annoying. I think alarms that go off that easily and all day are the cheap ones as they are only supposed to go off for 15/20 mins. My alarm has gone off 3 or 4 times in 6 yrs and everytime has been my own fault for opening a window in the morning and forgetting the alarm was still on! It has never gone off from wind or rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Vibration sensors can deteriorate with age and start causing false alarms. We had that problem with the two sensors at the rear of our house. Simple to diagnose and replace if you get the right people in to look at it.

Regarding the time limit of 20mins, I'm not sure it's to do with 'cheap' alarms, probably just old ones installed several years ago before those regulations came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

There Is A Home Security Forum over on the Rec section so if any of you have any quires that is where you will find us.

Inertia shock sensors do indeed deteriorate with age basically they become over sensitive.

There was an Irish standard for intruder alarms known as IS199 under this the external siren had to stop after 20 minutes but the internal siren and strobe would continue until the system has been switched off.
    This standard was replaced in 2005 by a European one known as EN 50131. With regard to noise under this standard all sounders both internal and external have to stop after 15 minutes.
    Obviously after the 15 minutes if there is a second attempt at intrusion or if it is an intermittent fault, the system will activate for a further 15 minutes, these 15 minute activations can only occur 3 times.
    Now as the sounders cut out fully and if a system is not monitored then a householder arriving home will probably not even notice that their alarm has activated.
    I would suggest that you put a nicely worded note in their letter box, give them the benefit of the doubt.
    I don't know of anyone who sets an alarm who knows it's faulty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement