Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Beer Mile Championships 28/6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

menoscemo wrote: »
    How's about heading in the 145 into Donnybrook afterwards? Few decent bars there to watch the football

I'll go wherever the crowd is going. Nearer the city centre the better, but I won't complain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

If I rob a car, start taking heroin and randomly using the letter "R" instead of "T" eg: gerr ourra tha; ah heauer lave irr ouh, then can I enter the Dublin championships???

I'd fancy my chances against most of the lightweights in the nationals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

TRR wrote: »
    So what's the definitive plan for post race drinks? Staying close by like last year or heading back into the city. I'm easy either way. Getting home would be easier and cheaper from the city for me personally though!

I'm all for town but the sick bag will definitely be a necessity on the bus back in. In fairness to me, I did help Meno clean it up last year :).

Sorry again Meno :o

Back to training. Anybody know where I could get the Brooklyn cans in town? Going to go for the 2 cans with 60 second recovery this evening because there's a fat chance I'll do any actual running training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You can get Brooklyn in all decent O'briens off licenses.

Given the name it has why not make kielys in donnybrook our pub of choice? The 145 stops outside and it's close to town for those heading back that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Anybody interested in heading to a nearby pub for most of the Brazil Chile game? Maybe leave mid way through the second half to get to the track in plenty of time. What's the nearest pub to the track and Luas stop?

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Anybody interested in heading to a nearby pub for most of the Brazil Chile game? Maybe leave mid way through the second half to get to the track in plenty of time. What's the nearest pub to the track and Luas stop?

I might be up for this. I'll let you know Saturday morning/afternoon.

You can get Brooklyn in all decent O'briens off licenses.

Given the name it has why not make kielys in donnybrook our pub of choice? The 145 stops outside and it's close to town for those heading back that way.

Thanks for that. I'll check them out. Surprisingly I've never been in Kiely's though I hear its full of rugby supporting ponces.

Didn't even think about the World Cup. Brazil Chile would be a tough one to miss. Might be worthwhile to get there a little earlier to catch the most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Gavlor wrote: »
    If I rob a car, start taking heroin and randomly using the letter "R" instead of "T" eg: gerr ourra tha; ah heauer lave irr ouh, then can I enter the Dublin championships???

I'd fancy my chances against most of the lightweights in the nationals :D

Just like red lipstick, talk is cheap. Boom that was below the belt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Back to training. Anybody know where I could get the Brooklyn cans in town? Going to go for the 2 cans with 60 second recovery this evening because there's a fat chance I'll do any actual running training.
    Not sure if you're based out in Bray at the moment, but they're pretty cheap in the off-license in Shankill (Cheers).

Not sure if you're based out in Bray at the moment, but they're pretty cheap in the off-license in Shankill (Cheers).

Thanks KC, I'm still out in Bray for work and living on the north side. I'll check the Supervalu in town or failing that, there is a fancy off licence in Fairview that I'm sure will come up trumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just like red lipstick, talk is cheap. Boom that was below the belt ;)

I concur :pac:

I hope she doesn't read this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

What's the nearest pub to the track and Luas stop?

Horse & Hound, Cabinteely

I'm planning a MLFDR (medium long fairly drunk run) on Saturday evening, but without the in session fueling. I hope if I can run 4 miles at 7:20ish pace with about 4 pints in, it should be a decent session..

TRR/DrQ it just occurred to me you are forgetting RFR.
    Solid drinker and runner. Surely he is a contender.

Ref post-event pub, can we not just nail this down now to avoid a minimum of faffing about after the race?
    How's about M. O'Briens again it is on the 145 route but just by the canal so only a 10 minute walk to St Stephens green.

TRR/DrQ it just occurred to me you are forgetting RFR.
    Solid drinker and runner. Surely he is a contender.

Has he thrown his hat into the ring?

Ref post-event pub, can we not just nail this down now to avoid a minimum of faffing about after the race?
    How's about M. O'Briens again it is on the 145 route but just by the canal so only a 10 minute walk to St Stephens green.

I don't care where we go. If everyone is happy to head a little closer to the city then that would be great. I'm not fussed on the pub

Has he thrown his hat into the ring?
    I would assume so given his posts on this thread

I don't care where we go. If everyone is happy to head a little closer to the city then that would be great. I'm not fussed on the pub

Grand so M. O'Briens it is until someone comes up with a better idea. Given it is on the 145 route and is close to the city centre, it ticks all the boxes. If it's crap there are loads of nearby pubs to move to. The only question mark is if the bus driver deems us too rowdy to get on the bus :pac: If so we can just go to the horse and hound.

I would assume so given his posts on this thread

Grand so M. O'Briens it is until someone comes up with a better idea. Given it is on the 145 route and is close to the city centre, it ticks all the boxes. If it's crap there are loads of nearby pubs to move to. The only question mark is if the bus driver deems us too rowdy to get on the bus :pac: If so we can just go to the horse and hound.

Bus songs!

stop the bus we want a wee wee, stop the bus we want a wee wee,

you're all a shower of wanker up the front!

So, I have a question that kind of relates to this.
    I need to get my long run in either Saturday or Sunday.
    Should I do it early Saturday and then run this race, or leave it until Sunday after what could become a heavy night on the beer?

p.s. I'm also going out on Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Should I do it early Saturday and then run this race, or leave it until Sunday after what could become a heavy night on the beer?

Probably going to be rough no matter when! I'd go for Saturday though :) Means you can go full throttle on the beer race.

yaboya1 wrote: »

Do the long run on the Saturday. Saturday night WILL be messy. I'm not one to ever miss sessions, but in this instance I may have to give my Sunday track session a miss.

My second specific beer mile training session this evening, and it was a good one. After arriving home from my 200m race at Tallaght I took my beers out of the fridge for 45 minutes before getting stuck into it.

3 x James Boags Premium Lager off 50 secs recovery. Decided to drop the recovery by 10 seconds to really test myself given my limited opportunities to train for this. I'm having issues with the twist off of this beer. Must be due to it being imported because in Australia this has never been a problem. So I've had to loosen the cap very carefully beforehand, without letting any gas out, which is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Times were:

30 - 34 - 39

Delighted with those splits. I got the first 2 down without having to take a break. For the third rep I had to take 2 breaks but not until the final third of the beer. James Boags seems to suit me, despite the extra 20ml. I feel this is the best I have ever skulled in training.

I have a 400m race on Friday night so this will be my final session before Saturday's race. Not the build up I am used to, but given the fact it is in the middle of my season, it is more than I thought I might manage so I will take it.

• Advertisement

3 x James Boags Premium Lager off 50 secs recovery. Decided to drop the recovery by 10 seconds to really test myself given my limited opportunities to train for this. I'm having issues with the twist off of this beer. Must be due to it being imported because in Australia this has never been a problem. So I've had to loosen the cap very carefully beforehand, without letting any gas out, which is a bit of a pain in the ass.

whoa whoa, hold your horses. I don't know what sort of shenaingans goes on down under but we are a law abiding nation of beer milers in this country. Absolutely no loosening or tampering with bottles before the race. Drquirky may need to do random bottle tests!

I shall be racing on Friday, beer racing on Saturday, and long running on Sunday, Nothing clears the head quite like a long run. O'Briens is probably the first decent pub on the 145 route, but if it's a nice day, the new Alfie Bynes (part of the Conrad Hotel, two bus stops further on) has a cracking beer garden.

whoa whoa, hold your horses. I don't know what sort of shenaingans goes on down under but we are a law abiding nation of beer milers in this country. Absolutely no loosening or tampering with bottles before the race. Drquirky may need to do random bottle tests!

My understanding is that it is fine as long as no gas is released. Happy to bring a bottle opener if it is an issue though.

My understanding is that it is fine as long as no gas is released. Happy to bring a bottle opener if it is an issue though.
    7. Beer cans must not be tampered with in any manner, ie. no
    shotgunning or puncturing of the can except for opening the can by
    the tab at the top. The same applies with bottles - no straws or
    other aids are allowed in order to aid in the speed of pouring.
    9. Each beer can must not be opened until the competitor enters the
    transition zone on each lap.
    ^

Hmmm, maybe I will make use of a glove then for extra grip then. No laws against that. Not willing to lose my twist off advantage.

I shall be racing on Friday, beer racing on Saturday, and long running on Sunday, Nothing clears the head quite like a long run. O'Briens is probably the first decent pub on the 145 route, but if it's a nice day, the new Alfie Bynes (part of the Conrad Hotel, two bus stops further on) has a cracking beer garden.

Alfie Byrnes is a nice spot alright but how's the weather looking? Maybe DrQ can get us a forecast from his friends on the weather forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Killerz: odds 10/1 for the win. Solid performance in 2013. Has been doing longer events of late so may be missing the vital track speed needed to bang out an 80 second final lap when ones belly is full of beer. Has still yet to declare his race colours for the day. Pink, purple or lime green t-shirt are all in the mix. Regardless of his final decision it will be camp.

Yeh, very well summed up there. Many are stressing over beer choice... for me it really is all about the outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

If I'm running it's PBR all the way for me - Chivito wearing a glove has massive comic appeal- anyone bringing a camera?

drquirky wrote: »
    If I'm running it's PBR all the way for me - Chivito wearing a glove has massive comic appeal- anyone bringing a camera?
    :confused: PBR is a pussy beer.

Will try and sort out a camera, and a camera handler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

OK I got at least one reinforcement, not a boardies but fu+kit. Hardened student so can drink, preparation will be non existent despite me warning him elsewise. Tonight's practice has me still awake and merry now now ha, no running but 4 beers down the hatch without any fuss.

Advertisement