Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Beer Mile Championships 28/6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A couple more recruits in the form of ChickenBalls and two of his buddies. We can probably slow down the recruitment drive. Given the location of the beer stadium, best not to be too public about these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

A couple more recruits in the form of ChickenBalls and two of his buddies. We can probably slow down the recruitment drive. Given the location of the beer stadium, best not to be too public about these things.

One of the favorites gettin' spooked a ringer or two could show up and blow his chance at retaining a national podium?

Or

A man concerned w/ our health and safety- you decide ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

drquirky wrote: »
    One of the favorites gettin' spooked a ringer or two could show up and blow his chance at retaining a national podium?

Or

Rattled to the core. Running scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Or

At least he won't be drinking pussy beer ;) Even if you beat me; I'll be claiming victory by the Kingston Rules.

Or

Option 3! The more the merrier. But the quieter the better!

• Advertisement

Went to the Offie today to buy the beer for Saturday's race.
    Was intending on buying 6 cans of Brooklyn Lager but saw they also had Krusty's beer of choice so decided to buy 6 of each for testing purposes :pac:
    Both fully Kingston Compliant BTW ;)

ZYF55kw.jpg

So I just had my first and only 'training session'. Decided to neck one of each but give myself full recovery in between (5 minutes) in order to give me a better idea of which beer is 'best' for beermiling.
    I Adopted an unplanned 'stop at half way to burp' strategy which I feel might work well on the day itself given my gassy troubles last year :pac:

Managed both beers comfortably enough in 22 seconds, but given that I had the summerale (blue and red) second I feel it is the better result. It also feels a little less gassy than the lager so Like KC I think it will be my beer of choice for Saturday.
    My only issue is I now have 5 cans of unneeded Brooklyn lager in the fridge :p:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

right meno you bastard, I feel like I have to do a demo run myself now. Going to go with one of my key sessions from last year.

4 bottles with 30 seconds "recovery" running on the spot between each! If I can do that I'll be confident of running a good time Saturday.

If you haven't heard from me by 9pm ring the emergency services!

TRR wrote: »
    right meno you bastard, I feel like I have to do a demo run myself now. Going to go with one of my key sessions from last year.

4 bottles with 30 seconds "recovery" running on the spot between each! If I can do that I'll be confident of running a good time Saturday.

If you haven't heard from me by 9pm ring the emergency services!

session aborted. Fcuk sake, I forgot how horrible it was to chug down beer like that.
    Beer 1: 20 seconds no problem
    30 second jog on the spot, realised my dinner wasn't digested and didn't feel great
    Beer 2: 35 seconds. Beer not cold enough and also stomach starting to rumble
    30 second jog on the spot. Not good. Would have been happy to keep beer 3 down and call it a day but I knew my goose was cooked.
    Beer 3: couple of sips and felt like hurling

positives:
    a) swilling technique is superb
    b) have realised I need to eat early in the day and not be bloated with food
    c) Session rammed home the importance of chilled beer. I don't like luke warm beer and mine wasn't cold enough.

negatives
    a) downing bottles was not fun
    b) failed session is a knock to the confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

In a true show of commitment, after losing my bank card yesterday, I did a 20 minute round cycle in the pissing rain to pick up 4 cans of the good stuff with my final bit of cash. Going to aim for the Chivito/Meno session of 2 cans with 60 second recovery. Prepare to see my overly generous odds plummet.

41/33 negative split for the chugging. Happy with this. First can in 3 slugs and the second one in 2. Reckon, I learned a bit from the first one. Beers over cans for sure. The difference over last year is immeasurable and no messing about looking for a bottle opener on the day. Bring it on!!! :)

• Advertisement

41/33 negative split for the chugging. Happy with this. First can in 3 slugs and the second one in 2. Reckon, I learned a bit from the first one. Beers over cans for sure. The difference over last year is immeasurable and no messing about looking for a bottle opener on the day. Bring it on!!! :)

which cans did you use KU?

menoscemo wrote: »
    which cans did you use KU?

I went with the Brooklyn Lager. After seeing the picture in your post, I think they had the pale ale in the Offy in Fairview as well. Might try a can or two of that tomorrow and see what its like. The lager was a little frotthy and we all know the issues that excess froth can cause ;).

I went with the Brooklyn Lager. After seeing the picture in your post, I think they had the pale ale in the Offy in Fairview as well. Might try a can or two of that tomorrow and see what its like. The lager was a little frotthy and we all know the issues that excess froth can cause ;).

I thought they just drank Dutch Gold in fairview :confused:

:confused::confused::confused: Beers already kicking in ;)

Impressed with the negative split!

:confused::confused::confused: Beers already kicking in ;)

Impressed with the negative split!

:D:D:D Feck off! You know what I mean. Still two cans left. The track runner in me is saying two sets with a long recovery in between. The fun loving, right lad in me is agreeing :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Right so, time for honesty, I'm shyte at drinking and have been having nightmares about puking drinking so quickly, I couldn't even face going to the offo. So I'm officially g**-bagging out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I had a quick chat with Ecoli about this race yesterday. My plan now is to do the exact opposite of what he did last year. I am probably definitely going to win, just saying :)

Word on the street is that TRR hasn't put the work in this year and Krusty can't handle his beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I have to say that the 6/1 odds being quoted by Road Runner Bookmakers gives shocking value to the punter. Never ever does a sprinter win beer miles. If it comes down to a sprinter vs a middle to long distance runner in this event, my money is on the distance runner everytime. Every beer mile I have ever run has been dominated by distance runners. Sprinters never feature at the business end of things. Endurance is key.

I'm not even a fast skuller either, although I have improved with the James Boags. My main strength is keeping it down. I'd have myself at 33/1 to be honest.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I have to say that the 6/1 odds being quoted by Road Runner Bookmakers gives shocking value to the punter. Never ever does a sprinter win beer miles. If it comes down to a sprinter vs a middle to long distance runner in this event, my money is on the distance runner everytime. Every beer mile I have ever run has been dominated by distance runners. Sprinters never feature at the business end of things. Endurance is key.

I'm not even a fast skuller either, although I have improved with the James Boags. My main strength is keeping it down. I'd have myself at 33/1 to be honest.
    But it's not an endurance event. It's a 4 x 400 track session with 30 second recoveries. After one mile, the endurance runner will not even have warmed up properly (on the running or drinking fronts). If a sprinter or middle-distance runner doesn't win it, it's purely because they're not very good. ;)
    Word on the street is that TRR hasn't put the work in this year and Krusty can't handle his beer.
    Oh, I can handle my beer all right. I'll have those cans opened in a jiffy. Drinking them is the problem. :)

But it's not an endurance event. It's a 4 x 400 track session with 30 second recoveries. After one mile, the endurance runner will not even have warmed up properly (on the running or drinking fronts). If a sprinter or middle-distance runner doesn't win it, it's purely because they're not very good. ;)

4 x 400m off 30 secs is not a session that sprinters EVER do. We're all about the long recoveries.

Middle distance runners have the biggest advantage, followed by the 5-10k runner IMO. My money is on Timaaay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

.....It's a 4 x 400 track session with 30 second recoveries....

30 seconds recovery?! Ah come on. Downing a beer as quickly as you possibly can without getting sick is hardly a 'recovery'!!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    4 x 400m off 30 secs is not a session that sprinters EVER do. We're all about the long recoveries.
    Maybe that's why Irish sprinting is in the doldrums? Just too damn lazy.
    30 seconds recovery?! Ah come on. Downing a beer as quickly as you possibly can without getting sick is hardly a 'recovery'!!
    Maybe where you come from mate. That's how we do recoveries in Kilbogget.

#trashtalk

Maybe that's why Irish sprinting is in the doldrums? Just too damn lazy.

Maybe where you come from mate. That's how we do recoveries in Kilbogget.

#trashtalk

Haha, Irish sprinting, along with race walking has carried Irish athletics over the last 10 years.

Trash talk in full swing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'm starting to panic about this really not ready for this race and doesn't look like I'll get a single beer drunk this week. Last year I had full race distance covered with 330ml bottles in training , so I think tomorrow is just about not spewing. Off to find some beers now! and will try not to drink them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'm starting to panic about this really not ready for this race and doesn't look like I'll get a single beer drunk this week. Last year I had full race distance covered with 330ml bottles in training , so I think tomorrow is just about not spewing. Off to find some beers now! and will try not to drink them tonight.

Sounds a bit like my preparation :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

This is some mad thread, mad I tell you......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck all with the National Beer Mile Championships tomorrow. Very disappointed to miss it!

Go Hard! TRRs to lose...

blockic wrote: »
    Best of luck all with the National Beer Mile Championships tomorrow. Very disappointed to miss it!

Go Hard! TRRs to lose...

I'm not sandbagging but I'm not in good beer miling shape. Will be happy to get around in a decent time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm not sandbagging but I'm not in good beer miling shape. Will be happy to get around in a decent time!

Playing it down...pure mind games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Having just read Krusty's 33 minute 10k report, I've rung up me PaddyPower rep and put an extra grand on him at 7/4.

Advertisement