Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat 5 or go wireless

Options
  • 19-03-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

In my current setup I have my main broadband router upstairs connected to an extended phone point from the Main point. I am considering getting in Fibre installed but it will mean either installing a wireless card on my PC, or running CAT 5 through conduit into my office as the which means getting messy and getting my electrician friend out.

Which is the more sensible option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Homeplugs are your best answer. Plus you can install yourself. Simply plug into a wallsocket, connect Ethernet between it and router, at pc carry out same. No mess, no fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

When you get fibre installed why not get them to put it to beside the computer?

There is no substitution for a wired connection, they are faster and more reliable. Depending on how much work it would be (how far apart the rooms are, how many walls, etc.) and of course what standards you have (i.e. don’t like the idea of having conduit running around your rooms) wireless might be easier. Like hallo just said, homeplugs are another good option.

I would also keep in mind that it’s not too much work to wire it yourself, especially if it’s just one cable and not too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I explained that my office is upstairs and they said that they will only put the modem in at the main point which is inside the hall door, I asked the sales guy how many people he knew with a pc inside their hall door.......~silence.......followed by terms and conditions..... blah blah blah~

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

dbnavan wrote: »
    I explained that my office is upstairs and they said that they will only put the modem in at the main point which is inside the hall door, I asked the sales guy how many people he knew with a pc inside their hall door.......~silence.......followed by terms and conditions..... blah blah blah~

It’s your property, they will install it whey you tell them (within reason of course).

Who are you getting it from? UPC installed mine in a comms cabinet in in the crawl space around our converted attack. Double check the t&c, we were billed for internal caballing when we got it done.

Depending on where you live there is great competition in the broadband market. Say you will go somewhere else so. If at all possible I will always go away from any company that mentions terms and conditions when you have a problem, it’s just not the type of service I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jonrouter

dbnavan wrote: »

They told me the same in the e mobile store, but when the technician came to my house he had no problem putting the modem where i wanted it.

A problem did arise with the WiFi connecting to the TV box though so he had to run a cat 5 cable from the modem to the TV box.

Just to add the TV is not great, the decoder box is very flimsy but with a fiber internet connection who needs TV :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement