Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who can wire house

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    Hmm, a competent person can swap out sockets, something that can be a nightmare to do correctly at times.

In terms of the Restricted Works decision paper, yes.
    Yet a qualified electrician cant swap an MCB, often a far easier task than swapping a socket.

Incorrect, electricians can and do this type of work frequently as part of their day to day job.

The OP is asking if it is permitted to get a home wired by an unregistered electrical contractor and certified by someone else so let's stay on topic!

The rights and wrongs of this piece of legislation is for another thread if you so wish.
    yes it's actually easy enough to leave reverse polarity and loose cpcs etc.. when replacing sockets

It sure is, I guess that is why it should be done by a competent person.
    now the DIY man won't have calibrated loop-impedance testers etc.(which i have btw)

To be honest many electricians don't own a loop impedance tester either.
    I am an electrician and I don't and I am quite comfortable changing sockets in my own home without it, but that is a discussion for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

2011 wrote: »

To be honest many electricians don't own a loop impedance tester either.
    I am an electrician and I don't and I am quite comfortable changing sockets in my own home without it, but that is a discussion for another thread.

You don't own one? Your a contractor tho aren't you? I was led too belive every contractor must have a fault loop, rcd & megger? And also must have them calibrated every 12 months and the resulting certs then forwarded too reci ecssa & insurance company's?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Your a contractor tho aren't you?

No, I am not an electrical contractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

2011 wrote: »
    No, I am not an electrical contractor.

Sorry about that. My bad.

For what it's worth I'm not a contractor either and only carry the meter below with me on a daily basis. The meger etc are kept in the stores and you'd only take them for bigger jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Sorry about that. My bad.

For what it's worth I'm not a contractor either and only carry the meter below with me on a daily basis. The meger etc are kept in the stores and you'd only take them for bigger jobs

I have one..think i may have the 600 model
    nice tester
    the clamp can be a nuisance to use at a DB compared to the old style jaw clamps
    and I don't think it fits a big cable either

• Advertisement
Advertisement