Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portumna 100km, 50km, Marathon & Half-Marathon 14/06/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Finally got to a computer. :rolleyes:

Went pretty well. Started out at 8-minute pace which I held very well for much longer than anticipated. Went through the marathon in 3:30-ish and 50k in 4:10-ish and kept pace until 70k.

At 70k I felt fine. By the time I reached 71k I had hit the wall. Struggled through lap 15 and went through the finish feeling totally spent and absolutely dreading the next 25k. Then took a banana (never taken that during a run before) and within a minute was running happily again. Amazing. A banana per lap got me to 90k, then the legs started cramping and I had to slow down a bit but could already smell the finish and always knew I'd get there still in reasonable shape.

Final time 8:33 or 8:34, third place, very happy with both the time and result.

Great event, well organised, it's a race by runners for runners. I will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

I did the 'Baby' run... to check out organisation/course/etc...IMO... It's set up for the 50k&100k..... The utter confusion at the start of the half was palpable .... ... I vaguely understood what was said... it really only clicked with me when We ran through the START/FINISH Gantry and the Clock showed 2:04:50 and my watch was showing 4:50.... ....we are on a 5k loop now & I have 4x5k laps to go.
    If you have been there before then you know the set up. No markers around the course,(white lines on ground I noticed on 3rd lap...were they km markers?)... I did enjoy it... but only because it was a lovely day to be running TG

No markers around the course,(white lines on ground I noticed on 3rd lap...were they km markers?)

:confused: Were you running with your eyes closed?

There were km markers every 1k on the loop. Those signs with numbers on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Anyone know what's going on with the results?
    Still no sign of them being published??

Edit: Just emailed the timing company who said that they will up later this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going on with the results?
    Still no sign of them being published??

Edit: Just emailed the timing company who said that they will up later this afternoon

they had big problems with loss of data due to computer failure at mullaghmore triathlon so maybe they are a bit distracted at the moment.
    redtag are usually very reliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Results up on red tag timimg... on fone can't link...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Results up on red tag timimg... on fone can't link...

yeah, there's a link up to 'em okay but only the half ones showing at moment...

You sure?? I was looking at 50 and 100k too...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

yeah, there's a link up to 'em okay but only the half ones showing at moment...

They are all there: different tabs.

Came in 10th :o in 50k

6th place in the HM for me.
    The winner won by more than four minutes!

• Advertisement

Half matathon...... COUGH(21st)COUGH :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

8th place in the 50k. Was in line for a much better time but had a bit of a blow out over the second half. Couldn't get any gels or food into me.

I'm down as 7th in the 100k but my second lap split is recorded at around twice the time I actually did it in. When I thought I'd finished the race I was told that I'd one more lap to do - I duly did the lap as I was tired at the time & couldn't figure it out in my head. I'm sure they're right but I'm perplexed. The 2nd lap didn't take me 50m11secs more like 25mins&something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I'd say your second lap didn't pick up on the mat. Drop them an email and they will check the video.

I'm down as 7th in the 100k but my second lap split is recorded at around twice the time I actually did it in. When I thought I'd finished the race I was told that I'd one more lap to do - I duly did the lap as I was tired at the time & couldn't figure it out in my head. I'm sure they're right but I'm perplexed. The 2nd lap didn't take me 50m11secs more like 25mins&something.

Andrew, you ran almost 70k with me, of course your second lap is wrong and they made you run a bonus lap.

It also means you finished ahead of Vilnis. Since you were ahead of him at 70k, and I doubt he caught you, that makes sense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did the 100km around 5min faster then i thought...since I never stopped by Garmin so thats a nice surprise. :)

Took me around 2hours longer then I would have liked but still happy to have it finished,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments, really appreciated it. And feedback is always good.

Was a very long friday and saturday and Sunday for me and a long Saturday for the volunteers.

Lots of authorization as well, with OPW, coco, Coilte, water ways Ireland, garda etc.... lots of very details documents to do for them. Thanks for their support

Today we still cleaning up the last van, so apology for the 3rd and second male and Female prizes which did not go by email yet. The results been confirmed at the moment I will start to email category winners as well and update the website.

I made a mistake at the start of the marathon as above, when people mention no mat and it came out from my mouth something like "time will only start when you pass the finish/start line" which obviously was not the case. The timing was sync with timing system from start to finish.

Next year book your place early as it will be full again, and won't be able to take late entries or on the day entries.

I was very please with the event and had again no medical incident and the only real issue was the "paid staff" had to live and pack all equipment by 9pm before the park close which include the finish line. From the last crew of supporters they convince them to live it up until last moment this year.

Volunteers were mostly my young athletes with my parents which brings a great atmosphere as we know each others so well it's also a great fundraiser for them.

As a full time coach and Club runner I know what pain or mental state we can be during the event, and Portumna Forest marathon is all about us runners and the community.

Thanks to my close friend Ray O'Connor who without is experience and friendship the event would not be running for 5 years in a row.

Thanks again and see you at races :-)

Seb

Thanks for all the hard work Seb, I really enjoyed the event and will definitely be back for more.

It's a great race and I can very much recommend it to anyone, except to someone who is looking for a "Big City" atmosphere. This is a race by runners for runners.

I wrote my race report, though I expect anyone who wants to read that kind of thing has done so already by now.

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2014/06/i-ran-100-kilometres.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I wrote my race report, though I expect anyone who wants to read that kind of thing has done so already by now.

And a great report it is!

• Advertisement

Yeah, many thanks Seb for what was a really enjoyable & memorable day - will be back for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

Found this an enjoyable friendly event. Small bit of congestion at the turn around point but not bad & kids handing out Water did a sterling job in Warm conditiins

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

Well done to Seb/team for hosting a great event.

2 things that might've been noted already.
    * Move the drink station at the U turn to the T junction, this should ease congestion and allow people to stop without causing a jam.
    * 12 noon start for marathon is a bit late in the day, with the tail end finishing around 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

It's nice to have water every 2.5 km, especially on such a hot day. I wouldn't change that from the turn around point. Possibly a congestion issue for people running shorter races at a faster pace but not sure you'd gain too much time by having water station somewhere else, your slowing down for the bend anyway, might as well grab a water while your doing so.

Gijima wrote: »
    * 12 noon start for marathon is a bit late in the day, with the tail end finishing around 5pm.

Gota say I understand the reason for this, by 12pm alot of the 50km runners are gone so the place would be alot less congested then if it started earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Sounds like you all had a ball.

Provisionally count me in for the 100 next year.

Now that it's Thursday, it'd be nice if the results as showing on the Portumna Marathon website tallied with those as amended on the Red Tag Timing site - my 105km time is still showing on the Portumna site (ended up having to do an extra lap as my Split 2 was missed by the timing computer). It's such a fabulous event, & the dedication & work of all the Portumna Marathon crew is so appreciated & so admired, so it'd be such an unnecessary shame if inaccurate times were to be kept on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Hi Guys :

Results have been updated at each update, but there is more people with wrong name to correct and people who swap without telling us etc.... it's not that easy and not finished. Remember to refresh you browser pressing F5

Also regarding the water station etc.... it's not easy we have guidelines to follow, for example it would mean have more volunteers at the turning point + having tables in the middle of the course in which a vehicle has to go through the runners to get access to. We can't get more volunteers than what we have to be honest.

The other thing about starting time, there is nothing we can do, this was made to avoid car parking jamming registration (which already was too busy and will be improved next year). This was study over the 4 previous year with when the peak flow was for runners etc.... lots of science behind all this

Trust me we do a lot of thinking like this, and it's not that easy from my side, we don't do what we want.

But keep giving suggestion, maybe some will work, and the above one are great ideas that we kinda thought already or doe snot work. I ma ready to take the hit to make the race even better.......

Thanks all again, feedback is always good, and you know me, I don't take things in a wrong way

Seb

thanks again for a great day - it was ace...
    had been getting a bit peeved when my wrong result was showing as had a bet with some mates as to whether I could go sub9 & nobody was believing me what with the other result showing - all good now! cheers.

• Advertisement

you didn't address my post, why?

Looks like your result has been amended.

Advertisement