Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portumna 100km, 50km, Marathon & Half-Marathon 14/06/2014

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Outside wrote: »
    In contrast to the massive bonk I had in Connemara I ended up with a >1min negative split for the 100km and finished in 8:44:16. Very happy with that, a lot to be said for starting conservatively. But looking back then on splits, too conservatively?? It's always a fine line!

You had the fastest time of the entire field on both the second-last and last lap, and those two were the fastest laps you had run all day. :eek:

I'd say you did pace yourself a little bit too conservatively, alright! On the other hand, that's a lot better than pacing yourself too optimistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

Outside you gained more than 11 minutes on me in last 2 laps! impressive stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Ya two huge "bonks" this year from a combination of bad pacing and also bad nutrition in races so I was very careful in this race to get constant supply of energy (turns out just gel's/water work well for me) from the start and ease into the pacing to get some confidence back. Then with 10km to go and stomach good, I was interested in seeing how the tired legs would respond.

The main race I have in mind for this year is Lakeland 100 in 5 weeks so perfect training (although elevation gain is slightly different!). Onwards and upwards, thanks for your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

thanks again for a great day - it was ace...
    had been getting a bit peeved when my wrong result was showing as had a bet with some mates as to whether I could go sub9 & nobody was believing me what with the other result showing - all good now! cheers.

I saw the first post :-)

Don't worry I can witness how great you finished i agree a bit too conservative but I suppose a good experience.

Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Also if anyone's interested, here's the GPS of the route, 20 loops look pretty hilarious.
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/520454106

The course feels flat as a pancake yet over the course of 100km the few m's of elevation gain ever few laps add's up to >500m elevation gain/descent?! GPS must be out surely?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Outside wrote: »
    Also if anyone's interested, here's the GPS of the route, 20 loops look pretty hilarious.
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/520454106

The course feels flat as a pancake yet over the course of 100km the few m's of elevation gain ever few laps add's up to >500m elevation gain/descent?! GPS must be out surely?!

Mine looks very similar, except for the distinctive lack of impressive final laps:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521573649

The elevation correction is enabled, which means the Garmin don't use the GPS elevation data but replace it with points from an elevation map.

500m meter of elevation change is still only 25m per lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Climbing trees are not allowed during the event !

Advertisement