Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double bill (and then some)

Options
  • 19-03-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭

I recieved my most recent gas bill from EI and was shocked at the amount - well over three times the usual amount.

Turns out there was some "systems failure" in EI that "was not noticed in time to notify customers" (quotes are what was said to me when I rang to complain), so. my previous bill had not been sent, and this one is for four months.  Due to a long history of estimated bills (does anyone ever read meters any more?) this one is nearly four times the usual amount.

I was eventually - very reluctantly - give a complaints email address by the girl on the phone, and I sent off an email looking for an explanation.  No reply received, so a week later I sent a reminder.  Still no reply.

I accept that the bill is for gas used, so is going to have to be paid - but does EI seriously believe it's good enough to "forget" to send a bill, not bother notifying the customer, and then send a triple+ whammy of a bill next time and expect the current account to cover it?  Since all of my bills are set up to be paid by DD, I check the amount every time to make sure it's somewhere in the ballpark, but didn't notice the lack of a bill in December/January - it's one of many I get in the door every week.

Like I say, I'm not trying to avoid payment, but it's the total lack of contact or notification or even just concern for the customer I strenuously object to - you shoehorn everyone into paying by DD, you can't then turn around and send a whopper of a bill with no notice or warning whatsoever.

I would like some explanation for what occurred (other than "it wasn't noticed, we're sorry about that") from EI.  And a response to my two emails would have been basic good manners.

I look forward to at least receiving a reply here.

A VERY annoyed EI customer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hello HeidiHeidi,

We are very sorry to read of your unhappiness with your customer experience.

Apologies for the system error affecting your gas bill. We can organise a repayment plan for you if you wish. Just private message me your Electric Ireland gas account number and your name/address/telephone number, confirming that you are the account-holder.
    I will also see if the relevant department can advise further regarding the system error that caused the delay to your gas bill.

Generally speaking, gas meters are read by Bord Gáis Networks (depending on meter accessibility) and bills are based on estimates when the meter is not read.
    We can take meter readings from customers by private message here on Boards if they wish to have an accurate bill generated to replace an estimated one.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks for at least replying, which is more than your colleagues (wherever they are) did.

Once again, however, no reasonable explanation of how this happened, nor indeed an assurance that it won't happen again.

I don't need a payment plan, thanks, I'll organise it so that the funds are there. This time.

The gas meter is on the front of the house, no problem with accessibility there. The problem is with the lack of bodies who (don't) turn up to read it.

If I get an estimated bill, in the past I've submitted actual readings over the phone but a revised bill never issued. Which made the whole system redundant. Are you telling me that if I PM actual readings to you following receipt of an estimated bill, then a correct bill will issue? This would go some way towards placating me.

However it makes no difference to the situation I'm in now, where a bill simply wasn't issued due to negligience/error/systems failure/whatever of EI, and I wind up owing a huge lump sum completely unexpectedly. That's my problem.

Hello again HeidiHeidi,

I have sent a request to ascertain whether there is further info as to what caused the delay to your gas bill. I know it was a system issue, which has since been rectified.

You should receive a response to your email query shortly, or we can take it over entirely here on Boards.

Yes, the best time to send in a meter reading is indeed on receipt of an estimated bill, as this gives the customer the longest period of time possible until the next scheduled bill. The reading would go to Bord Gáis Networks, which would then provide us, the supplier, with the information for the bill.

Do let us know if we can be of further assistance to you.

Kind regards,
    Una

Hello again HeidiHeidi,

In relation to the email you sent, can you private message me what email address you were given and your Electric Ireland account details?

Thanks and regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hello again HeidiHeidi,

In relation to the email you sent, can you private message me what email address you were given and your Electric Ireland account details?

Thanks and regards,
    Una
    PM sent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement