Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for additions?

• 19-03-2014 5:01pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So last year I did some work in the garden and the garden went from just grass with a 5 inch slope towards the fence as well as drainage issues to this

iWXDmgh.jpg

calid.jpg

I wanted min maintenance and also a place to put raised beds so I'm reasonably happy, but I'm lost for ideas about what else to do with the garden now.

Curious what others would do if the had the garden?

What plants could I plant by the fence that aren't likely to take over the place but would also add abit of colour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Always surprised to see a lawn installed when someone wants low maintenance... It's the highest maintenance item you can ever put in a garden. Anyway, assuming the lawn is staying... I'd plant a mixed border, with a mowing edge so you don't need to edge.

Holly for winter interest
    Camillia
    Fatsia japonica
    Hydrangea annabelle for some drama
    Choysia ternata sundance
    Pittosporum tom thumb
    Some japanese acers for autumn interest

None of those require any maintenance and shouldn't overrun the space.

A few sedges or grasses for movement... Stipa gigantea maybe.

And then fill in the gaps with summer bulbs. Allium, lillies etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

I have about 50% lawn 50% Perennial beds, the lawn takes more work and if I had the choice I'd get rid of it, not because of the work involved but because it's boring.
    What way is the garden facing and what is the soil like? There are lots if low maintenance plants available.
    Some of the shrubs listed previously can get quite big some too big for your space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

have you kids that will need somewhere to play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Lovely job there, well done!

And yes, those fences are made for climbing plants!

zephirine drouhin is a lovely climbing rose, thornless and long lasting blooms
    Your usual clematis plants
    sweet peas near a seat
    Ipomoea tricolor ‘Heavenly Blue
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Climbing-Plants-for-a-Small-Trellis

You have to have some lawn for the kids and its not really all that high maint, you just mow it regular in the growing season

Advertisement