Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Broadband in Dublin 15 area

Options
  • 19-03-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi there,

Could you please share & suggest any good value (cheaper price) Internet Broadband in Dublin 15 area around Carpenterstown / Coolmine Train Station Area?

I've had UPC but I'm fedup of their price increase every 6 months.
    Although they increase the download speed but I don't need 30 mb or more as 5 or 10 mb would be enough for me?

Since, I'm only looking for Broadband only. please share/suggest your experience with quality & price of any cheaper than Euro 39 per month for Internet Broadband only.

Best regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

U P C ... all the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I don't think you will find cheaper than UPC to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Vodafone eFibre broadband only package for €35/month
    http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Larsheen

I wouldn't go for Eircom anyway because their broadband service is in the toilet with no hope of improvement despite pages of complaints since last year both on their own forum and askaboutmoney.I should be getting nearly 7mb and am lucky to get 2mb after around 5pm.Going for UPC tomorrow.Not only is their broadband better but I will get telly,broadband and phone for less than I pay Eircom for just broadband and phone.They are also having terrible complaints about their efibre

• Registered Users Posts: 32 roofi

Hi guys,

Thanks for your update.

What do you think of Imagine broadband which has services in this area that offers Euro 27.50, 7MB, unlimited broadband with free phone line having free local, national & UK calls anytime?

Just comparing the above with UPC, there is no free phone line and free calls but just only broadband in Euro 39.00 per month

Any suggestion for Imagine broadband if anyone has recent experience?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

roofi wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your update.

What do you think of Imagine broadband which has services in this area that offers Euro 27.50, 7MB, unlimited broadband with free phone line having free local, national & UK calls anytime?

Just comparing the above with UPC, there is no free phone line and free calls but just only broadband in Euro 39.00 per month

Any suggestion for Imagine broadband if anyone has recent experience?

Thanks in advance.
    Line rental included?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 roofi

CrazyRabbit,

Line rental is free.
    The only extra charge is Euro 100 initial activation fee which the guy on phone said could be 50 as some promotion going on.
    I just want to take all of your views who if you have or know someone is happy with Imagine service.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Avoid Imagine.
    Its not a DSL (Eircom or Vodafone) or cable based like UPC.

Its a wireless service which they call WiMax. The technology is poor and prone to interference and contention.

Check out the broadband forum for views on Imagine. They won't be positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Larsheen wrote: »
    I wouldn't go for Eircom anyway because their broadband service is in the toilet with no hope of improvement despite pages of complaints since last year both on their own forum and askaboutmoney.I should be getting nearly 7mb and am lucky to get 2mb after around 5pm.Going for UPC tomorrow.Not only is their broadband better but I will get telly,broadband and phone for less than I pay Eircom for just broadband and phone.They are also having terrible complaints about their efibre

I recently got the new efibre installed and must say I am very happy with the service - much improved speed and no disruptions whatsoever.

PS - UPC broadband not available were I live

ongarite wrote: »
    Avoid Imagine.
    Its not a DSL (Eircom or Vodafone) or cable based like UPC.

Its a wireless service which they call WiMax. The technology is poor and prone to interference and contention.

Check out the broadband forum for views on Imagine. They won't be positive!

I used one of those wireless line-of-sight broadband services years ago. It was great until spring when the leaves sprouted on the tree and blocked the signal!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 The McAttack

Sky have an offer at the minute unlimited Internet and off peak calls 30 pm for the entire year price includes line rental and vat

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

If going for UPC I wouldn’t touch UPC Horizon with a 40ft pole. 2 months an 3 visits later and they haven’t sorted me out yet.

Full of promise but cant or wont supply what they say (for me anyway)

Strange I got it at about 2pm and it is working perfectly.There was a hiccup with the phone in that they gave me a new number but when i asked the helpline it was no problem and they are organising it with Eircom that they realise my original number.I also rang them earlier in the setting up process because I got a bit lost and they actually are a real helpline.I must admit I was apprehensive ordering it because as you say there have been a lot of problems but no complaints so far.Early days yet and if I run into any will come back.No better man.Having spent the last months being treated like a piece of dirt by Eircom I am in no humour for taking crap.I am also getting just 80mb download speed out of a promised 120mb but that is wireless on this mac upstairs from the Horizon box and if I bought a booster I am sure it could be better.After years of 6.9mb at best,sometimes dropping to 1. odd at night,I'm in heaven.

bigjoe wrote: »
    If going for UPC I wouldn’t touch UPC Horizon with a 40ft pole. 2 months an 3 visits later and they haven’t sorted me out yet.

Full of promise but cant or wont supply what they say (for me anyway)

They call it 'Horizon' because a working box is always on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

Have acess to both upc(25mb) and imagine(10mb) the upc is quicker but it depends what i,m using on it 2 of the laptops i use, when using the upc wirelessly the speed is terrible takes about 12 minutes or so to watch a 5min vid on youtube whereas i never have a problem with the imagine box and have the added benifit of being able to take it to my friends house with me for online gaming(x360). In dublin 11 area

p.s you can plug a telephone into the imagine box

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

What do you think of this offer? Do you know of cheaper ?

<SNIP>

harry999 wrote: »
    What do you think of this offer? Do you know of cheaper ?

<SNIP>

I'd be concerned about your allowance but if you are okay with that,it looks good.I don't watch films or do games and I have come close if not over 30GB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Larsheen wrote: »
    Strange I got it at about 2pm and it is working perfectly.There was a hiccup with the phone in that they gave me a new number but when i asked the helpline it was no problem and they are organising it with Eircom that they realise my original number.I also rang them earlier in the setting up process because I got a bit lost and they actually are a real helpline.I must admit I was apprehensive ordering it because as you say there have been a lot of problems but no complaints so far.Early days yet and if I run into any will come back.No better man.Having spent the last months being treated like a piece of dirt by Eircom I am in no humour for taking crap.I am also getting just 80mb download speed out of a promised 120mb but that is wireless on this mac upstairs from the Horizon box and if I bought a booster I am sure it could be better.After years of 6.9mb at best,sometimes dropping to 1. odd at night,I'm in heaven.

Booster won't improve it by much. Signal would be better with cabling. You can use something called "Powerline Adapters."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The only way to get the full 120mb is via a wired Ethernet connection directly to the router and your network card on your PC or laptop has to be Gigabit LAN/Ethernet.

80mb is good for wifi N if you want faster wifi you'd have to move to 802.11ac equipment. The UPC route is N though.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-what-s-the-difference

If you are using Powerline adapters you need a Gigabit one. They are all effected by the quality of wiring and interference so you may not get the full speed out of them. I have a 100/10 Powerline adapters one and I get about 80/90

http://www.legitreviews.com/powerline-network-adapter-shootout_1895/4

beauf wrote: »
    The only way to get the full 120mb is via a wired Ethernet connection directly to the router and your network card on your PC or laptop has to be Gigabit LAN/Ethernet.

80mb is good for wifi N if you want faster wifi you'd have to move to 802.11ac equipment. The UPC route is N though.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-what-s-the-difference

If you are using Powerline adapters you need a Gigabit one. They are all effected by the quality of wiring and interference so you may not get the full speed out of them. I have a 100/10 Powerline adapters one and I get about 80/90

http://www.legitreviews.com/powerline-network-adapter-shootout_1895/4

Thanks beauf.Yeah I reckon that 80mb is fine for me.Long past the gaming age and so that sort of download does me just fine.I had been struggling with the 6 odd from Eircom but was willing to tolerate it even though it was ridiculous that they couldn't give me the 8 they said I should get and was paying for.But when it dropped to under 2 some nights and they would or could do nothing about it,I'd had enough.Glad I've moved now

• Advertisement

Getting 80mb so easily I'd kinda be happy with. I only get that in the same room as the router. Once I move to the next room its drops to 20mb and even lower. I've actually switched mine to G as I get a better signal futher away and I've a couple of devices which are G only. TBH thats enough most of the time. Where I want faster speeds I plug in the powerline adapter.

I think when you are hitting 60+ the main limitation will be the speed of the website. Not your connection. Unless your downloading or gaming.

You can set up a different better router and connect to the UPC one. I'll do that eventually. But its a bit techie to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Anyone in Clonsilla experiencing sketchy UPC service over the past week? Access has been very reliable for me up until the past few days, I'm seeing consistent connection drops on the routers cable interface throughout the day....

I thought I was but I suspect it was just the WiFi on the router. I've switched to using my own Router last night and its been rock solid since, after being brutal for days. I wonder were UPC doing stuff on the boxes as WiFi was activated my Horizon box when I had it turned off. Twice I turned it off and it appeared back on later. I've also noticed a UPC WiFi Free appearing in the area, (its not my box).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Anyone in Clonsilla experiencing sketchy UPC service over the past week? Access has been very reliable for me up until the past few days, I'm seeing consistent connection drops on the routers cable interface throughout the day....

Yes - same here - normally rock steady - but this past two weeks the internet might go and only a power down of the UPC box will bring it back.

Not wifi issue I use mostly wired cables - not Horizon issue as we are steering clear of that option as long as we can - upc box just looses its internet facing IP address - not a major hassle though if it doesn't continue much longer.

I got a letter two weeks saying my Internet Speed had been increased - was on 100 - still on 100. Anyone know what it should have been bumped to?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

ozmo wrote: »
    I got a letter two weeks saying my Internet Speed had been increased - was on 100 - still on 100. Anyone know what it should have been bumped to?

Maybe theres a link - I got bumped up from 50Mbit to 120Mbit FOC mid March or so.

I'm testing on a wired connection, unfortunately the supplied UPC router doesn't have particularly good logging facilities based on my analysis i.e. its a challenge to troubleshoot. I'm loosing connection for a couple of minutes at a time, on some occasions I've had to reboot the router during extended outages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ozmo wrote: »

Do you have a gigabit Ethernet card? Otherwise you won't notice the speed increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you have a gigabit Ethernet card? Otherwise you won't notice the speed increase.

good suggestion - but yup - wired gigabit - upc to gigabit router - to gigabit pc port. 100 is over the top as it is - so not complaining - just noticed top of latest upc bill saying I was upgraded and had me curious - Ill email them.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I made the mistake of spending hours on one laptop in the house that could never reach anywhere near our max speed when others in the house could. Removed and updated drivers, uninstalled the hardware etc only to realise after all that that it only had a 100Mb card.

You really notice slow sites once you've a fast connection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement