Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacquiere Bridge Schoolhouse

Options
  • 19-03-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I recently moved to Phibsborough and am researching the building I bought. It's an old CoI Schoolhouse at Blacquiere (a.k.a. Blaquiere) Bridge, beside the Library on the NCR. From my research:
    • It appears to have been built c.1825, according to the Educational Endowments Act records, for the purposes of educating Protestant children in the area of national school age.
    • The site contained the Dublin Female Penitentiary. Not sure of the exact location of the penitentiary and whether the schoolhouse replaced this building or was adjacent to it?
    • There is record on a Census of a Lockhouse on "Blacquiere Bridge Road", presumably what is now the Royal Canal Bank. Does anyone know if the schoolhouse became a lockkeeper's house at some stage or was that a separate building along the RCB?
    • Does anyone know when the school closed down? I have located planning records to convert the schoolhouse into its current configuration as a residential dwelling on the DCC website, but also heard it was being used by a firm of solicitors at some point?
    Any info greatly appreciated.

J

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to the people upstairs in Pearse Street library, though the local library next door to you might have something.

The OSI website and Shane Wilson's site of old Dublin maps thet you can zoom in on may also be of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

is that the little house beside the shops? If so congrats , its looks lovely :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Raheny

Thanks for that. The maps are interesting but confusing as the early ones have the female penitentiary marked almost exactly where the schoolhouse is, and the later ones don't have it on the map at all.

Yes, it's the little house beside the library. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wezzz

Just spotted this now. The school closed in 1969. It was deemed unsafe by the parish of St George and St Thomas. Although parents were surprised at how quickly it became offices with little structural improvements needed. There were 35 pupils and 2 teachers using the upper floors as classrooms. Downstairs was a dusty store where we spent lunch times on wet days.

Advertisement