Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

this cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iphone

• 19-03-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

I bought an iphone 5

when I put the cable in this message pops up but I think the phone still charges anyways

I updated the phone to 7.1 but this message still pops up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Is the cable an official 'Made for iPhone' cable? If not you'll continue to get this message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Try a hard reset of the phone. That fixed it for me with the genuine lightning cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Try a hard reset of the phone. That fixed it for me with the genuine lightning cable.

just tried the hard reset but still the same

is it ok to use the cable anyway since it says im charging

the seller on adverts said its from an offical apple so I dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Well, it's obviously not genuine Apple if it still shows that message. But you can keep using it if it charges.

makoten wrote: »
    Well, it's obviously not genuine Apple if it still shows that message. But you can keep using it if it charges.

will it do damage though?

what the f**k are apple playing at they have to be offical apple cables now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

At 18:02 you said....
    biggebruv wrote: »
    the seller on adverts said its from an offical apple so I dunno

At 18:26 you said ...
    what the f**k are apple playing at they have to be offical apple cables now:rolleyes:

What happened in those 24 minutes that allowed you to decide that it's Apple's fault that an accessory that you bought off a stranger on adverts isn't working as claimed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If you bought a brand new BMW, would you bring it to an aprentice mechanic or would you bring it to an authorised BMW mechanic?

coylemj wrote: »
    At 18:02 you said....

At 18:26 you said ...

What happened in those 24 minutes that allowed you to decide that it's Apple's fault that an accessory that you bought off a stranger on adverts isn't working as claimed?

no nowhere did I say that its apples fault im just saying I think its S***ty that apple is doing this in general now making there customers pay for there official cables when before you could use any type it did not matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

will it do damage though?

They seem to be warning you, they aren't saying that you can't use the cable, right? There have been a few cases of shoddily made iphone chargers catching fire and electrocuting people, so I imagine they are simply trying to protect you.

Gordon wrote: »
    They seem to be warning you, they aren't saying that you can't use the cable, right? There have been a few cases of shoddily made iphone chargers catching fire and electrocuting people, so I imagine they are simply trying to protect you.

Well I've had one from Dealz that gave the warning message but also didn't charge it either.

Protecting us is great but maybe they should also reduce the ridiculously high margins on the "official" cables.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ive been using a non Apple cable and plug for my ipad mini for a year now and Ive been getting that message since the iOS upgrade. Ive just ignored it and its been fine.

whats annoying me is the thing is charging but yet its warning me lol WTF

if it was a non official cable wouldn't it not charge full stop?

Is there a way to tell if its an official cable?

Iv read up and people have been saying there 3rd party wires are working fine before an IOS update then the cable just stopped altogether

what about even the belkin or isound cables do they work?

http://store.apple.com/ie/reviews/ME291ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable-05m

the official site has alot of bad reviews on the cable itself

what about even the belkin or isound cables do they work?

It doesn't have to be manufactured by Apple, simply approved by them with the 'Made for iPhone' logo. As another poster has said above, it's probably because of shoddy accessories (especially chargers) overloading the appliance to the point where it goes on fire or the battery explodes - cue worldwide headlines which blames Apple.

To answer the question above, I have a Gear4 (they used to be called Griffin) charger which has two USB ports, it is an approved device and charges my G4 iTouch which refuses to take a charge from an old Monster FM car transmitter which has the old 30-pin Apple connector i.e. was specifically manufactured to work with iPods and iPhones but it no longer can charge devices which require the 'Made for iPhone' approval.
    the official site has alot of bad reviews on the cable itself

Let's face it, who's going to bother writing a good review for a USB cable?

It doesn't have to be manufactured by Apple, simply approved by them with the 'Made for iPhone' logo. As another poster has said above, it's probably because of shoddy accessories (especially chargers) overloading the appliance to the point where it goes on fire or the battery explodes - cue worldwide headlines which blames Apple.

To answer the question above, I have a Gear4 (they used to be called Griffin) charger which has two USB ports, it is an approved device and charges my G4 iTouch which refuses to take a charge from an old Monster FM car transmitter which has the old 30-pin Apple connector i.e. was specifically manufactured to work with iPods and iPhones but it no longer can charge devices which require the 'Made for iPhone' approval.

oh thats good then the isound cables are about 18euros better than apples 25euro on there website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Look on ebay. There are official belkin cables from an irish seller. You will get two and some change from 20 euro.

basill wrote: »
    Look on ebay. There are official belkin cables from an irish seller. You will get two and some change from 20 euro.

cheers will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm using an official iPod touch 5 charger for my iPhone 5 and still get the message!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

the latest software update is now able to detect if the cable is an apple supplied charger or not.

bought an isound cable no pop ups anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I also have an official cable for Apple and still sometimes get the message

Its fine, it still does the job

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Just bought a lightning cable in Dealz and it seems to be working. Do these cables usually charge slower or are they the same speed as the Apple ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Just bought a lightning cable in Dealz and it seems to be working. Do these cables usually charge slower or are they the same speed as the Apple ones?

Did you buy a charger or a cable? It's down to the voltage and the maximum current the charger supports, they should both be listed on the charger. The cables all have very small resistance so do not affect the charge time.

Did you buy a charger or a cable? It's down to the voltage and the maximum current the charger supports, they should both be listed on the charger. The cables all have very small resistance so do not affect the charge time.

Just the cable, using the same charger plug. Thanks for the info :)

I have a number of lightning cables from Dealz that worked fine on my 5S but wouldn't work on my partner's 5. None of them work now since the 7.1 update though. What phone/iOS are you using?

I never noticed them charging slower than the official cables but I only ever used them in the car for a boost charge.

5s on 7.1 - the last one I bought in Dealz didn't work with 7.0.x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All my cheap ones still working on 5 with 7.1 and also on the ipad air with 7.1. Not bought in dealz, but the 2 euro shop on George's street. But I'd imagine there all made in the same warehouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'd kind of worry about using one of those dealz cables on my 500 euro iPhone 5, so what's the cheapest apple approved cable is it the Isound one mentioned above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

hey I was just wondering if those cheap cables are still working for ye? After spending 30 euro for a non-apple cable in compu B and it breaking after 3 months, I'm fed up to say the least. Cheers !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My dad brought a cheap charger from a chinese shop in town and it fried the battery on his near perfect iphone 5S. I have always found generic chargers to be false economy

Advertisement