Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformer to use with hairdryer in US

• 19-03-2014 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if I need a special transformer to appliances such as a hairdryer in the U.S.?

If so, any idea where to buy one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It will probably be as cheap and certainly much more convenient to simply buy a new hair dryer over there. For smaller appliances you could probably buy something neat and portable but for an appliance with a motor and a powerful heater, it will need to be a beefy device capable of doing c. 2,000W like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource-STU-2000-Voltage-Transformer-Converter/dp/B0022U4J12/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1395267013&sr=8-8&keywords=220v+transformer

Edit: I just checked my ancient Krups hairdryer (basic domestic model) and it supports the US voltage so would work over there with a simple travel adapter. I'd have to say I was amazed, I never thought they made normal size hairdryers capable of working across a range of voltages.

Check your appliance and see if it mentions a range of voltages and frequencies, something along the lines of 100-240V 50-60 Hz. If it only mentions one voltage like 220V and one frequency (50 Hz) then you will need a transformer but I'd still say leave it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭paulsgirl

Great, thanks. Will check the appliance. Its not an ordinary hairdryer, thats why I asked, otherwise I would, as you suggest, just buy another one.

Will check the appliance though. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement