Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethnic main course and dessert for two people

Options
  • 19-03-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've a cookery exam coming up in a few weeks as part of my college course. In the brief I received I am required to cook an ethnic main course and a dessert. We have three hours to prep, cook and serve both the dishes. I'm looking for some ideas/recipes for the ethnic main course. I'm open to try out anything! For the dessert I was thinking along the lines of a pastry tartlet dessert? Maybe a lemon tartlet? Again I'm willing to try out anything as I have a few weeks to practice it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mugatuu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Do they have to be of the same ethnicity? Lamb Tagine and Baklavaa?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Thanks for your reply. No only the main has to be ethnic. we can do anything for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I'm from Cyprus, I could give you a recipe or two for ethic dishes out of the ordinary cliches? Like stuffed vine leaves or such?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

what about mousaka ? I can even imagine a modernist take on the bechamel

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Thanks for the replies Jezek! I think the stuffed vines would be too adventurous for my teacher! Some of my classmates are doing things like roast fish as a main and profiteroles for dessert. I think shed be happy if we kept it simply but did the two dishes well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This might be a silly question, but what counts is "ethnic" in this context?
    Middle eastern, asian, indian, eastern european, french, british, even Irish dishes are ethnic.

Basically steer away from anything global, fast food, or fusion and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi Mugatuu:

There are many, many 'ethnic' recipes in these forums already. Please use the forum search function or just browse through The Cooking Club forum.

Just on the first couple of pages of The Cooking Club you can find recipes for the following 'ethnic' dishes...

Bobotie
    Fastelavnsboller
    Green Tandoori Chicken wrapped in fenugreek Theplas
    Chicken Jalfezi
    Indian Resturant curries
    Chicken Korma
    Carnitas
    Goulash
    Pad Thai
    Spicy Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
    Pulled Jerk Chicken
    Murgh Makhani
    Italian Meatballs
    Chicken Balti
    Malaysian Curry

... & desserts...

Redvelvet Cake
    Chocolate Orange Cake
    Lemon Tarte
    Double Chocolate Cookies
    Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
    Fleur del Sel Cookies
    Balsamic & Black Pepper Strawberries with Greek Yoghurt
    Cappucino Cupcakes

Best of luck with your exam. Over to you now to do your own research for this.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement