Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No makeup selfie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

So the "men wearing make up selfie" has started

Ya that and "Cock in a sock"... horrible just horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

My initial reaction to this campaign was the classic WTF!?
    While I still find it quite bizarre I try to look at it from the positive side - funds for a good cause. I myself didn't know about the possibility of donating by text, that was handy. I'm not into selfies and I didn't bother taking one but I put up the info with the phone number and reference to Irish Cancer Society and I posted a picture of the 12 signs of breast cancer lemons picture instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

It seems to have died down a bit on my news feed at least. And most of the girls still had the tiniest bit of make up on. I've seen some of them without make up and compared to their no make up selfie it was a totally different image. It was either that or they would flash a spotlight at the camera so you could barely see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

The no make up selfie... its a way of showing vulnerability .. how many women do you know that would not be seen outside the bathroom door without makeup..? and now they are putting it out there for all to see.. i think its an amazing way of raising money.

I donated but didn't do the selfie.. got busted by loads of my friends til i gave in.. it was scary.. holy jeebus.. imagine then how scary it is to have cancer do treatment lose your hair and have everyone know and look at you differently... small thing i know, but the figures say it all... over a half a million € ...

my dad died from cancer 3 years ago.. he did the treatment, lost most of his hair, got looked at with pity and he f***ing hated every look he got.. my respect to whoever came up with the idea !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Piliger wrote: »
    The reason we have had such astonishing progress in fighting all kinds of cancer over recent decades is directly linked to the increased awareness of the importance of research and to the scale of money raised for research. ....
    Agree with most of what you say except that.

Unfortunately the outcome for
    Childhood Brain Cancer,
    the Number One Child Cancer Killer
    (not leukaemia as most think)
    has changed little in 30 years.

Yet it receives a tiny fraction of the funds the big name, high profile cancers get.

Children don't vote, don't have a big voice, or careers, are rarely high profile celebrities, except to their own families.

Brain cancer research is woefully underfunded (0.7% of cancer funding in the UK)
    Similarly in Ireland
    The amount of research funding here is a fraction of that devoted to colorectal, breast and prostate.
    And research funding is the reason these cancers have a far better prognosis in 2014.

Mar 28 is Wear a Hat day, so maybe stick a hat on for those selfies and rebalance the supposed awareness of cancer that so many think they have.

http://www.thebraintumourcharity.org/

https://www.facebook.com/GoldTheNewPink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

I think it says it all that the selfies themselves have been talked about and highlighted more than the fact that you can donate 4 euro by text to cancer research. I have not seen one poster of said selfies give out the number in their actions, but at the same time "like" any comments about their makeup-less beauty by their friends.

Every selfie I've seen has been accompanied by a donation plus a comment on how to donate yourself.

I don't really see how people can have a problem with this to be honest.

And many people are 'aware' of cancer. Unfortunately that doesn't always equate to making an appointment with the Dr as soon as you find a lump. I know people who won't go for fear of getting bad news......it is tough to change peoples attitudes, so the more talk about it the better in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

I'm curious to know if these people are donating aswel? If not, then it's not really creating awareness. It seems to be more about getting Facebook likes and resulting in people thinking they've done their good deed for the day.

Maybe they could seek sponsorship to go for a week of no makeup, including going to work and attending college and even going on nights out. That's creating awareness.
    Atleast movember participants actually raised money.

I asked numerous guys who informed me that they were doing Movember what charity they were raising money for.

They hadn't a clue what I was on about.

Facial hair is fashionable at the moment. That was about the beginning and end of it for them.

It's funny how men are given a pat on the back for their efforts but women are accused of narcissism when they do the same thing.

Good old Ireland :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

cbyrd wrote: »
    The no make up selfie... its a way of showing vulnerability .. how many women do you know that would not be seen outside the bathroom door without makeup..? and now they are putting it out there for all to see.. i think its an amazing way of raising money.

I donated but didn't do the selfie.. got busted by loads of my friends til i gave in.. it was scary.. holy jeebus.. imagine then how scary it is to have cancer do treatment lose your hair and have everyone know and look at you differently... small thing i know, but the figures say it all... over a half a million € ...

my dad died from cancer 3 years ago.. he did the treatment, lost most of his hair, got looked at with pity and he f***ing hated every look he got.. my respect to whoever came up with the idea !;)

Sorry for your loss and I agree with all of your post x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

qdawg86 wrote: »
    I asked numerous guys who informed me that they were doing Movember what charity they were raising money for.

Facial hair is fashionable at the moment. That was about the beginning and end of it for them.

It's funny how men are given a pat on the back for their efforts but women are accused of narcissism when they do the same thing.

Good old Ireland :p

Yeah, no where else in the world is silly. Just Ireland. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

qdawg86 wrote: »

I'm sure that really happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I am the only one where guys are getting nominated to do a make-up selfie (usually by their girlfriends)...they end up looking disturbing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Gaspode wrote: »
    I am getting so pissed off with this nominate crap on FB at the moment (no makeup, guys no make, sellotape on face etc etc- firstly why are people wasting so much of their money on these charities when they know most of the money goes into the back pocket of the execs running them.
    Why donate to charity at all so? It still raises funds, even if some of them have senior executives in receipt of seemingly ludicrously high salaries.
    Wake up and smell the roses guys, this isn't some charitable campaign you're all getting involved with, it's a viral marketing campaign and you are getting sucked into it.
    A viral marketing campaign by whom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I agree that society and the media projects a certain level of expectation of perfection from women and it has an influence. Although I very vividly remember at 13 and 14 years old when my acne really took hold that it wasn't perfect pictures of celebs that made me long for a flawless complexion, it was the gorgeous skin of my bare-faced peers that really drove me to it. There was maybe 4 or 5 of us in my year of 90 that had "bad" skin - the rest were had clear skin, the envy was unreal. I remember being so hard on myself at the time. I'm much happier now at 21 than I ever was from the ages of 13 - 16!

Ya know, just from my observations about guys with the same afflictions, it would seem they are not judged at all to the same extent! I didn't go to a mixed school so I can't say for certain, but I think with guys their personality may come into it more. A shy guy who develops acne may retreat even more into himself, whereas a guy who is a bit more "sociable", has a lot of friends, has a social hobby such as sport etc won't be affected in the same way. My younger brother developed acne late in comparison to me, around 16/17. It bugs him, but he carries on as normal and doesn't really care. He could have the biggest spot ever in the middle of his face and he would still pose for a picture - he doesn't let it get in the way. There are hardly any pictures of me from the ages of 13 - 16, I was too self-conscious!

I think in general, men do not face the same challenges women do in this context. That said, I am completely open to a male poster to come back and challenge me on this, it would be really interesting!

I'd disagree with this slightly, I remember a few lads in my class at school had very bad acne and they got terrible abuse over it from other boys and some of the girls as well.

I think remarks about something like that can be hurtful to either gender, even if they don't let on that it gets to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I'd disagree with this slightly, I remember a few lads in my class at school had very bad acne and they got terrible abuse over it from other boys and some of the girls as well.

I think remarks about something like that can be hurtful to either gender, even if they don't let on that it gets to them.

Yeah there were guys who were made fun of because of their physical appearance in my school too.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    In my experience anyway you'd be fairly spot on (no pun intended), but guys tend to focus more on other guys behaviour or their personality, whereas again, only in my experience, girls will focus more on other girls physical appearance..

I went to a large mixed secondary school and fellas and girls were just as guilty as each other of laughing at the physical appearance of students of both genders (I was one of the victims for a while and it was mainly guys tbh). Perhaps girls were more inclined to do it behind backs whereas lads were more upfront. Both genders were just as guilty as each other of bullying over behaviour in my school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

I've been telling the GF for years she looks better with less make (less is more) - What does she do? Puts on More...
    As soon as FaceBook tells her to take off make up, its done within the hour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Like I said, I was only commenting on the little observation I had, not making a wholesale statement. :) I don't doubt remarks hurt everyone though, that's not what I said at all! Obviously people say things that are downright rude and hurtful, it's an awful feeling when it happens to you! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

2 Million eh? nice little vacation in the bahamas awaits for thee.

WAKE UP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

leggo wrote: »

That is a ridiculous heading. What idiot thought that would be a good idea for for a heading of an article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭3mm

the actually selfie idea is questionable but by what im hearing its being a very successful fundraising campaign which can only do good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous heading. What idiot thought that would be a good idea for for a heading of an article.

em, a sarcastic one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Oh nice, I'm liking that a lot ;-) Will repost on facebook with a "please do not read unless thick skin is appropriated, thank you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Oh fcuk yes, this just articulates everything I couldn't quite put into words about this entire campaign.

I don't know in what parts it's an Irish/human thing, but the "TWO MILLION POUNDS!!!!!111!1" that's just tirelessly and predictably used to beat anyone who dares criticize this "charitable" endeavour about the head is just exasperating. How dare anyone criticize charity? It by definition makes you a bad, evil, uncharitable person, right?

For me the whole thing is just about the fact that charity and vanity/the selfish need for validation simply don't go hand in hand.

And yes, as pointed out, maybe there IS no such thing as a "selfless deed", but for a deed to be so entirely motivated by "look at me, look at MEEEE", accompanied by this idea that a woman de-makeuping herself for all of the facebook world to see is comparable to some form of courage or heroism, just feels wrong, and self-indulgent, and an offence to the cause at hand.

I just get the sense that the particular "cause" doesn't really matter here - it could be cancer or it could be Kony or it could be starving-babies-in-Africa - the thoughtless, sheep-like willingness to jump on board and exhibit this "charity" would've been the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rhotheta wrote: »
    Those who think it's brave to post no make up pictures need to actually become aware of the effects of cancer and find out what true bravery actually is. That's if they actually care about awareness.

Bollock over 500k has being raised.

Good to see the Irish tradition of bitching negativity and moaning is alive in you

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

ted1 wrote: »

Good to see the Irish tradition of bitching negativity and moaning is alive in you

Do you actually think that people who think it's brave to post a picture without make up have a healthy and unwarped outlook on life? They need to cop on and take a look at people who have real problems, not just a bad complexion.

In fairness, the criticism has been international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I am glad money has been raised. Kudos.

I am, however, disappointed that grown women think showing their faces without make up is a big deal. I have massive self image issues that have spanned my entire life, and even I am not so ashamed of myself that I need to make my face acceptable to strangers.

Seriously, wtf?

So they're showing off and ashamed of themselves. Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In fairness, the criticism has been international.

True, Legs.Eleven
    So it would be more valid to say... Good to see the Irish tradition of self loathing is alive in some posters.

mikom wrote: »
    True, Legs.Eleven
    So it would be more valid to say... Good to see the Irish tradition of self loathing is alive in some posters.

Tbh, I don't care either way about this selfie thing (not too many of my Facebook friends got involved) but I'm not seeing how criticising it equates to self-loathing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tbh, I don't care either way about this selfie thing (not too many of my Facebook friends got involved) but I'm not seeing how criticising it equates to self-loathing?

I was talking more about those who see criticism of the nomakeup selfie as part of the Irish tradition of bitching negativity and moaning......... when as you correctly pointed out the criticism has been international.

They aren't mutually exclusive.

Also, I didn't say anyone is showing off. I think everyone on Facebook is showing off, myself included. I am fine with it.

I just find the relationship that a huge majority of the women in my life have with make up alien and bizarre. I am very open to the idea that the problem is me, but I find it hard to come up with any way to see adults unwilling to pop to the shops without ensuring their face is acceptable as a good thing.

It's weird. All of my female friends are like this, and I hardly think less of them as people. I wouldn't mind being able to see them as they actually are the odd time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Rhotheta wrote: »
    Do you actually think that people who think it's brave to post a picture without make up have a healthy and unwarped outlook on life? They need to cop on and take a look at people who have real problems, not just a bad complexion.

It's been pointed out time and again on this thread alone that for some people, their bad complexion IS a real problem, to them, it's not a game of "my problems are bigger than your problems", hell even in this thread alone I've seen enough cancer comparisons and 'one type of cancer is worse than the other' and 'this cancer gets more funding than that cancer'. They're all fcuking horrendous, and bad skin is horrendous, and being born with no arms nor legs is horrendous, but honestly, this is why charity is supposed to be charity, not a fcuking competition, because nobody can care about everybody, they can only care about the people that mean something to them and the issues that are real to them, so if someone feels revealing their skin without make up is an idea that's as abhorrent to them as missing their arms, sure, it's a different perspective, but it doesn't mean it's not a valid one.

I wouldn't call any person brave for revealing their face without make up, just like I wouldn't call anyone brave for struggling to fight cancer. You just have to get on with it, because there's nobody giving out medals for this stuff, they're not achievements in the true sense of the word.

A little bit from column A, a little bit from column B :D

They aren't mutually exclusive.

Also, I didn't say anyone is showing off. I think everyone on Facebook is showing off, myself included. I am fine with it.

I just find the relationship that a huge majority of the women in my life have with make up alien and bizarre. I am very open to the idea that the problem is me, but I find it hard to come up with any way to see adults unwilling to pop to the shops without ensuring their face is acceptable as a good thing.

It's weird. All of my female friends are like this, and I hardly think less of them as people. I wouldn't mind being able to see them as they actually are the odd time though.

Ahh come on bodice ripper, you're a tattoo artist for a living, and you can't understand people wanting to apply chemicals to their skin whether it be to beautify themselves, express themselves, or disguise themselves in some way?

Come on... really? :D

• Advertisement

Ahh come on bodice ripper, you're a tattoo artist for a living, and you can't understand people wanting to apply chemicals to their skin whether it be to beautify themselves, express themselves, or disguise themselves in some way?

I am very, very against facial tattoos. Always have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Thank god for make up.

And I amn't against make up. I wear it the odd time if I am on a night out, it's peacocking. Grand. I don't need sort my face out to get milk in the morning.

Like I said, I am aware the problem could be me. But I can't get my head around it, never have been able to.

And I amn't against make up. I wear it the odd time if I am on a night out, it's peacocking. Grand. I don't need sort my face out to get milk in the morning.

Like I said, I am aware the problem could be me. But I can't get my head around it, never have been able to.

Well that's why it surprised me when you said that when as a tattoo artist you would've done tattoos for people who would've had diverse reasons from self-expression to exhibitionism to just purely for the fun of it. Their underlying reasons could indeed be vanity or insecurity, you've mentioned yourself you have massive self image issues all your life, is it really that hard to imagine that those people who choose to use make up might use it as a way to disguise their self image issues? And for them to take off that mask IS a big deal for them?

Personally I'd love it if my wife wore make up and looked fantastic 24/7, because when you look fantastic you feel fantastic, she can't be arsed with the time it takes to do all that like she would if she were going on a night out, but then she can't expect the same reaction when she doesn't make the same effort.

That's why all these photos of how some women can look so different without makeup can look so different, and why they might feel insecure in putting photos like that up on Facebook where they usually spend the majority of the time putting up all the positive things in their lives. That's why the whole nominations thing strikes me as a way for some people to 'call out' people on their friends list in front of their friends. It's childish "You do it, no you do it" stuff, and quite frankly phenomena like these make me so relieved I have nothing interesting enough to broadcast on social media to say about myself that I think the world needs to hear, because sooner or later, someone's going to find a way to score points off your insecurities.

Last year it was Kony, Savita, this year it's been Uganda, Syria, Russia, Ukraine, Cancer, and we're only into March!

So much for charity begins at home. You wouldn't even look twice at a homeless man if you were on your own, but walking down the street with your friends you'll put in £1 in his cup, your friend will have to better you and put in £5, etc, same thing with this Facebook effort.

Well that's why it surprised me when you said that when as a tattoo artist you would've done tattoos for people who would've had diverse reasons from self-expression to exhibitionism to just purely for the fun of it. Their underlying reasons could indeed be vanity or insecurity, you've mentioned yourself you have massive self image issues all your life, is it really that hard to imagine that those people who choose to use make up might use it as a way to disguise their self image issues? And for them to take off that mask IS a big deal for them?

Oh, I think being as heavily tattooed as I am is demonstrably a mental thing to do. I don't think I could ethically recommend getting tattooed to anyone who hasn't considered it. I frequently joke that I facilitate poor decision making for a living.

But your face is how you convey who you are to other people. Its very complex and still not entirely understood. Constantly trying to map another face over it is just a weird idea for me. Which is also why I will not do facial tattoos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Personally I'd love it if my wife wore make up and looked fantastic 24/7, because when you look fantastic you feel fantastic, she can't be arsed with the time it takes to do all that like she would if she were going on a night out, but then she can't expect the same reaction when she doesn't make the same effort.

TBH Czarcasm, that's nearly exactly why I agree with bodice ripper in her comment I've included here. To my mind, the relationship that the huge majority of women have with make - up is bound up in how they think they look to others, yes? If your wife (and I'm not singling her out - just referring to your comment really) felt fantastic without make up, wouldn't you prefer her like that 24/7? Because you come across as wanting your wife to just feel fantastic in herself, but what you've actually said is "I'd love it if my wife wore make up and looked fantastic 24/7"

I personally don't subscribe to women looking their best in make up. I find it too homogeneous, as if we're all born with the same skin tone (a la Mac foundations) or the same darkened eye line. I don't like it, but then, I'm not attracted to women or sameness. Do you find that you're more attracted to women in make up, or without? Or do you feel you've been given a choice, seeing as all or most women you've been shown in media, and out and about, have make up on? Just wondering like :D

Edit: Sorry now....was butting in, and I'm off to bed anyway! Your discussion was interesting - don't let me stop ya ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So much for charity begins at home. You wouldn't even look twice at a homeless man if you were on your own, but walking down the street with your friends you'll put in £1 in his cup, your friend will have to better you and put in £5, etc, same thing with this Facebook effort.

The net result is a good cause wins.

Obliq wrote: »
    TBH Czarcasm, that's nearly exactly why I agree with bodice ripper in her comment I've included here. To my mind, the relationship that the huge majority of women have with make - up is bound up in how they think they look to others, yes? If your wife (and I'm not singling her out - just referring to your comment really) felt fantastic without make up, wouldn't you prefer her like that 24/7? Because you come across as wanting your wife to just feel fantastic in herself, but what you've actually said is "I'd love it if my wife wore make up and looked fantastic 24/7"

Well, each of us as individuals really, when we don't feel we look our best, we're not going to feel our best. I mean, I don't care really that she doesn't wear make up all the time, but there's no denying the fact that she does look better with make up than without. She also has a cracking arse in a pair of jeans and heels than she does in tracksuit pants and runners, but hey, I signed up to marriage knowing at some point she's gonna have to lift her skirt to flash her boobs. I'm ok with that too, just not too soon! :pac:

I personally don't subscribe to women looking their best in make up. I find it too homogeneous, as if we're all born with the same skin tone (a la Mac foundations) or the same darkened eye line. I don't like it, but then, I'm not attracted to women. Do you find that you're more attracted to women in make up, or without? Or do you feel you've been given a choice, seeing as all or most women you've been shown in media, and out and about, have make up on? Just wondering like :D

I gotta be honest I'm definitely more attracted to women who know how to apply make-up properly, it's such a judgement call though because I can put ten different faces of make up on the same girl and have her look ten different ways (aye, I can do make-up too) and still have her look attractive, so it just depends on the individual girl, look at what happened when Mila Kunis was caught on a bad day sans make-up, Jesus Christ almighty! :D

Some girls can carry off the natural look with ease though, absolutely, and then some girls just need a little advice about the right foundations, creams, eye make-up that's the difference between a smoky eye and a panda eye, and fake tan, ohh boy, I love fake tan when applied properly, and by properly I mean it looks natural, but the dark hands/light face combo or vice versa, jaysus, drives me spare! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Jaysus lads, what the hell is wrong with wearing a bit of slap, sure hasn't makeup been on the go for thousands of years now. I wear makeup everyday and it's part of my daily routine, like having a shower or shaving your legs for example. I don't use a trowel to apply it and I don't spend a fortune on products either. It takes me roughly about five minutes to apply so why not.

It takes me roughly about five minutes to apply so why not.

But why?

I don't understand, I've never understood. It's your face, there's nothing wrong with it. It's a very complex machine for communicating to other humans, what was wrong with what/who it was communicating without make up? Not young enough? Not beige enough? Not dark enough? Had acne at some point?

I like make up, it can be really hot, I even like it on men. But it's a sexually display, not a correction of flaws to be adopted forever.

Sorry, not having a go at you particularly. I honestly just don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

But why?

I don't understand, I've never understood. It's your face, there's nothing wrong with it. It's a very complex machine for communicating to other humans, what was wrong with what/who it was communicating without make up? Not young enough? Not beige enough? Not dark enough? Had acne at some point?

I like make up, it can be really hot, I even like it on men. But it's a sexually display, not a correction of flaws to be adopted forever.

I think different people have different reasons when it comes down to it.

My sister wears what's considered fashionable among her friends (ie, orange skin). My male friend wears it for attention (he admits to this, I'm not dissing him). My other friend wears it because she's so self conscious, she thinks she needs to spend 3 hours per day applying it (no exaggeration).

My other sisters and I wear it for the same reasons - to draw attention to parts of our faces that we like. I have nice eyes, so I wear make up that accentuates them. My little sister has lovely lips, so always has gloss or lipstick on.

Another reason I wear it - work. If I had a choice, I'd only wear make up about twice per week. I'm kind of expected to wear it in work, though. I don't always, but the days I do would bring it up to 4 times per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

But why?

Janey mack Bodice Ripper.....My face is no machine :) If me wearing a bit of makeup is construed as this , the fault is with the observer not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Not an expert and not a big fan of it and that's fine by her, but I get the impression, a lot of women wear make up for themselves or other women, and not at all as a sexual display.
    And for some it is a way of covering perceived imperfections.
    And in some jobs it is like a suit.

Other cultures and countries don't all have the same prevalence of make up or at least not similar makeup eg in many Asian countries the shelves are lined with various skin bleaching and whitening treatments, Arabic women stay well out of the sun for fear of tanning, yet Brazilian, Filipino and other Hispanic countries seem to love tanning.
    Perhaps the pale, hard to tan typical Irish skin is a natural canvas for colour, but many other peoples envy that paleness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

wil wrote: »
    Other cultures and countries don't all have the same prevalence of make up or at least not similar makeup eg in many Asian countries the shelves are lined with various skin bleaching and whitening treatments, Arabic women stay well out of the sun for fear of tanning, yet Brazilian, Filipino and other Hispanic countries seem to love tanning.
    Perhaps the pale, hard to tan typical Irish skin is a natural canvas for colour, but many other peoples envy that paleness.

isn't that a class thing? in some countries where people would be tanned, it was because they worked outdoors, so would typically be lower class.
    the whiteners that you see on shelves in asia are to give the impression that you're of a class that doesn't work outside (if at all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

But why?

It is when it is drilled in to you from childhood. Few people are immune to that kind of cultural brainwashing.

Personally I like to know whom I am dating, not a face painted on a face.
    But some men learn from some early experience to associate sexuality with makeup and they therefore see it as glamorous and attractive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement