Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No makeup selfie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

So those of us who think the "ah babez you're stunnin even without make up" brigade are eejits are whingers? There's no arguing that the money raised has been fantastic, but it's not down to the muppets who started the drive.

Okay so what's it down to then, tell us? If it's not down to the selfies and donations that arised from the selfie craze then I'm dying to hear what you think its from????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

So those of us who think the "ah babez you're stunnin even without make up" brigade are eejits are whingers? There's no arguing that the money raised has been fantastic, but it's not down to the muppets who started the drive.

Yes you are whinging, and you maybe need to clear out your friend list.

It was a PR stroke of genius to cash in on the whole selfie craze, raising money by public donation is all about getting people to enjoy the act of giving. If you don't enjoy it, do something about that, switch off FB or just keep scrolling but more importantly, stay quiet.
    The amount of people posting their opinions on an anonymous forum who haven't gotten over the internet is dumbfounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

lukesmom wrote: »
    Oooh so anybody who done it is arrogant! Yeah screw those who put the photos up we should have a bit more modesty like you telling us how you have donated 'a couple of times'. Give me a break!
    Okay so what's it down to then, tell us? If it's not down to the selfies and donations that arised from the selfie craze then I'm dying to hear what you think its from????

Cool the jets lads! The massive hike in donations is clearly down to the selfie thing, and that's great. The kick back is more about people who think selfies are arse anyway. It doesn't matter a damn, the money is great. Although I still hate selfies.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Standman wrote: »
    Using peoples vanity to help out charities is a very efficient method of raising money/awareness. Most of the guys I know who do Movember every year are the more image obsessed, validation craving types. The end justifies the means in these instances, even if these people do it for selfish reasons.

That's actually an excellent point. Hadn't thought of it like that.

A lot giving out about the no-makeup-selfie are probably the same narcissistic hipsters who grow out their 'mo' in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was never a fan of selfies to begin with.

I'm friends with a girl on Facebook who is naturally stunning; seriously she could be a model, but my gosh she knows it.
    She posts selfies every day and it's purely to get "likes" and flattering comments.

But if posting selfies to raise money and awareness for breast cancer is actually working, the I take my hat off to everyone doing it.

I've seen some men uploading pics of themselves wearing makeup and they're being applauded...is it another case of men can do what they want but women can't?

It's the same in pubs at Halloween; you see guys dressed up as women, in tight short dresses and wigs, for the laugh, and they're given pats on the back, but women show up in short skirts and heels and they're called sl*ts.

Just can't win, can you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

There's no arguing that the money raised has been fantastic, but it's not down to the muppets who started the drive.
    Is it not, no? Do the ICS usually get 200k a day? Wake up.

No matter if people posted pics or not. This "craze" made the ICS over 200k in 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

fussyonion wrote: »
    It's the same in pubs at Halloween; you see guys dressed up as women, in tight short dresses and wigs, for the laugh, and they're given pats on the back, but women show up in short skirts and heels and they're called sl*ts.

Just can't win, can you?

Oi ... don't you be generalizing us men ..:pac:

BTW I also did this selfie thing, I don't wear makeup (i'm a bloke) so made a stupid face and donated monies also.

Same effect I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Happyman42 wrote: »
    If you don't enjoy it, do something about that, switch off FB or just keep scrolling but more importantly, stay quiet.

I did do something about it-I donated (so they weren't going to miss out on my cash), and also posted a breast exam guide wondering aloud if that might be more helpful to the cause.

I've done plenty of fundraising for the cause in recent times, and as anyone who's been close to the disease will attest, there's so so much people can do to truly help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Tilly wrote: »
    Is it not, no? Do the ICS usually get 200k a day? Wake up.

No matter if people posted pics or not. This "craze" made the ICS over 200k in 24 hours.

Good jesus, it's not down to the ones who started the drive. They were merely posting their pics saying "to raise awareness of cancer". It wasn't until later that some smart person accompanied their pic with details of their donations/screenshot of it. This is where I started being ok with it-when cold hard cash started landing in ICC's bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Would it kill the women to smile in the photos. No need to look like an Amanda Bynes mugshot just because there's no makeup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Good jesus, it's not down to the ones who started the drive. They were merely posting their pics saying "to raise awareness of cancer". It wasn't until later that some smart person accompanied their pic with details of their donations/screenshot of it. This is where I started being ok with it-when cold hard cash started landing in ICC's bank account.
    I actually saw the donation link first with a selfie. No matter what way YOU look at it. The selfie craze made the charity 200k. People posting just a link to donate wouldnt have made that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I think people who love moaning are thick!

OMG the h8terz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I did do something about it-I donated (so they weren't going to miss out on my cash), and also posted a breast exam guide wondering aloud if that might be more helpful to the cause.

I've done plenty of fundraising for the cause in recent times, and as anyone who's been close to the disease will attest, there's so so much people can do to truly help.

Fair dues for donating.
    The point of the campaign is to reach people who maybe have never gotten around to donating. It's just one facet of a multifaceted fundraising drive.
    The hope being; that once somebody donates that they will continue to, just like you and I have done.
    I made my first donation to a charity after a Christmas day nudey swim many moons (see what I did there? :)) ago, we had our pictures taken and displayed in publicity and the resulting comments where fun and hilarious. Point being: the fundraising was 'fun' and I'm sure many thought we were vain eejits. So what? Exactly the same as is going on, on FB now. No difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

People fishing for likes and looking for complements. I'm half tempted to put under some of them you look like a dehydrated arse with out the makeup

Still raising money though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think it's a lot more to do with validation than philanthropy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I think people who love moaning are thick!

I think they are poo poo heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Rhotheta

Without the people criticising the selfies people wouldn't have begun donating in such huge numbers. The criticism worked and has raise huge funds for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Would it kill the women to smile in the photos. No need to look like an Amanda Bynes mugshot just because there's no makeup.

The smile is just painted on every other day.

Also, tragic cancer sadface. :(

luv u bbz!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 UnicornPuke!

Fair enough it's made some decent money but I wanna see these women shave their heads instead. That would be more of a statement.

BTW I managed to donate yesterday without broadcasting it over Facebook/Twitter. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    What's a selfie? Is this a nudey thing, Father?

You see the lot d'ya Father, or is it just the top halves you see?

• Advertisement

Fair enough it's made some decent money but I wanna see these women shave their heads instead. That would be more of a statement.

BTW I managed to donate yesterday without broadcasting it over Facebook/Twitter. :rolleyes:

just boards so

bluewolf wrote: »
    just boards so

Ahh, in fairness, this is anonymous posting! I've done the same. This here is conversational debate, but my facebook is my business, ie. I choose to have very few friends up there (now) and I never, but NEVER, like selfies. I refuse to be guilted into liking a selfie, even for a good cause. However, I'm thrilled about all the money it's raised.

Ps. I did shave my head for cancer fundraising once, and there's still pics up on fb of it. It'd be easier to lose a pic of a no-makeup face, that's for sure!

Obliq wrote: »
    Ahh, in fairness, this is anonymous posting! sure!

Ah I just couldn't resist pointing it out :D

So without the awareness people have made of posting pics without makeup you still would have donating? :pac:

yawhat! wrote: »
    So without the awareness people have made of posting pics without makeup you still would have donating? :pac:

I never even heard of cancer till I saw a few instagrammed low-lit well-angled selfies. Now when I pass a collection on the street I will understand what they are on about.

Muise... wrote: »
    I never even heard of cancer till I saw a few instagrammed low-lit well-angled selfies. Now when I pass a collection on the street I will understand what they are on about.

You shouldn't work in marketing. Its creating awareness and has raised millions. Maybe your not intelligent enough to understand.
    If one of your family members died from cancer I bet you wouldn't be making them snide remarks

You shouldn't work in marketing. Its creating awareness and has raised millions. Maybe your not intelligent enough to understand.
    If one of your family members died from cancer I bet you wouldn't be making them snide remarks

Of course I shouldn't work in marketing. I don't use my powers for evil. :D

I think you mean that I am not receptive enough to manipulation - though adaptive and social intelligence could be at play there in the short term.

I'm snide on behalf of my dead. They hated this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Everyone has a family member who died from cancer. That was kind of why he/she was being sarcastic. The above comments i always find funny "i bet if one of your family member died....." etc etc. They have and what do you know i can still crack a smile at a cancer joke.

Selfie thing is a great idea. Its all the spastics it attracts is the problem.

That's a properly sick thing to say. Who hasn't been affected by cancer? I'm down staying at my Aunt's at the moment, after she had an operation to remove cancer, and I can still say selfies are bollix, but don't you dare call it snide.

• Advertisement

Muise... wrote: »
    Of course I shouldn't work in marketing. I don't use my powers for evil. :D

I think you mean that I am not receptive enough to manipulation - though adaptive and social intelligence could be at play there in the short term.

I'm snide on behalf of my dead. They hated this crap.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MY CUP OF TEA

Ok first off, I'm a lurker not a poster but after reading through this entire thread I had to comment.

Two things..

Firstly, while the actual selfie might be completely redundant in helping any of the cancer charities, linking the "fun" aspect of the photo is marketing 101..it has allowed the whole thing go viral and it has a multiplying effect...liking, sharing, commenting has blown up everyones news feed and has even fed into legitimate news sources. (great fun explaining a selfie to my 70 y/o technophobe father after he read about it on the indo) People like getting involved in things like this..its why its called a social network

Secondly, Not everyone who posts their pics are attention seeking airheads!!. last night I was nominated (for the 3rd time) I had actually already donated but had been really reluctant to put up a pic. Throughout school I had the worst skin and suffered years of soul destroying bullying. Ten years later, I never leave the house without makeup and the thoughts of taking it all off and publicly showing my face actually brought me out in a cold sweat. In the end I sucked it up and did it. As ridiculous as it might sound to men or to women who dont wear makeup..but it was a genuinely hard thing for me to do. I know people will say "well why did you bother then..it wouldnt have made any difference" but as far as im concerned, if everyone thought like that then the selfie craze would have lasted all of five mins and the ICC would be a 1/4 million worse off today!

At the end of the day, there is no difference in the €4 given by the anonymous donor and the €4 given by someone who also has a pic on facebook? Everybody needs to lighten up, enjoy the pics or stay off FB for the next day or two until this runs its course..

rant over...back to the shadows :)

Nooooo.....come back! You're making sense, and on AH of all places!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't understand these types of things. I used to remember to raise money for a cause you actually had to do something difficult such as run a marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

And now these 'C*ock in a Sock' things...bloody hell. I hope that future humans don't find these pictures or else history will be very harsh on us...

Even then, the no make-up selfies are supposed to be embarrassing and demeaning, all for a good cause. Whats the point of these so-called "embarrassing" selfies if women adjust the lighting and pose and show their best side? Isn't it just fishing for likes, in a "I'm still a ride without makeup" kind of way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    And now these 'C*ock in a Sock' things...bloody hell. I hope that future humans don't find these pictures or else history will be very harsh on us...

Even then, the no make-up selfies are supposed to be embarrassing and demeaning, all for a good cause. Whats the point of these so-called "embarrassing" selfies if women adjust the lighting and pose and show their best side? Isn't it just fishing for likes, in a "I'm still a ride without makeup" kind of way?

Whaaaa!?!

Thank GAWD I left FB 2 year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Fair play and all, but right to mock reserved.

I'm just waiting for a Lads' backlash, selfie with makeup perhaps? No? Nobody want to put some on then? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Seen a woman going through chemo post a selfie without her wig. Now that took courage. Forget about the no make up crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The ones I have seen are all using very specific lighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Seen a woman going through chemo post a selfie without her wig. Now that took courage. Forget about the no make up crap.

I see all facebook as needless attention seeking, the above included.

Lets be honest anyone close enough to her that matters was there for the treatment and saw what happened so werent shocked/in awe etc. So why the need to broadcast other than to get the "you go girl" "kick cancers ass" responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

I think its a good thing - raises money.

Idea for the lads who don`t wear makeup - post a picture of your dog and screenshoot of your donation to your favourite charity and / or instructions on how to donate #dogselfie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ush1 wrote: »
    I don't understand these types of things. I used to remember to raise money for a cause you actually had to do something difficult such as run a marathon.

And now you don't. Progress baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

And now you don't. Progress baby.

Says you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Has anyone tried to donate via text from the 48 network? I don't know if mine worked :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

A friend in the UK who buried his sister-in-law this week (cancer) has just started "Cock in a Wok" on facebook. Yes its a naked bloke with a wok covering his cock. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

The morons cannot cure the common cold let alone cancer ...............................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The morons cannot cure the common cold let alone cancer ...............................................

What morons? The people taking selfies? :confused:
    Or the doctors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I posted on Facebook my shaved testicles in aid of testicular cancer. Here is a pic. I think it might just spread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

fussyonion wrote: »
    What morons? The people taking selfies? :confused:
    Or the doctors?

:D

both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Whats the harm, its raised a few hundred thousand for the charity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0321/603817-no-makup-selfie-phenomenon-raises-over-400-000/

"The Irish Cancer Society has said it has received over €400,000 in donations from the ‘No MakeUp Selfie’ initiative."

A good thing. A very good thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement