Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words that you hate/dislike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Init

Is not it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Foodie :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭3mm

nanny

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

Bff

Gbff

F`a`g`hag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

poxbottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

"Good girl" especially when said by middle aged men to their co-workers. It makes my skin crawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Selfie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

"On the sauce"

****ing hate it.

I imagine this way of being proud drinking huge amounts of poison.
    It may be biased, but I always picture people who use this word, to do nothing but drink alcohol every weekend, while shouting at a game in a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Adamantium wrote: »
    "On the sauce"

****ing hate it.

I imagine this way of being proud drinking huge amounts of poison.
    It may be biased, but I always picture people who use this word, to do nothing but drink alcohol every weekend, while shouting at a game in a pub.

I agree. Same with "on the piss"

Minge

The Hard Word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

"Ignorant" in the wrong context. Usually said by those who are the most "ignorant"

My brother uses this wrongly the whole time. Any time he's insulted or disagrees with us on a slight issue, it's an immediate affront to him. He then refuses to fill us in the facts. A refusal to engage with the other, it's as bad as your a "NAZI". A dead end word , and it does nothing to move a conversation forward, It ends one.

Let's get this straight

You're "ignorant", when you do not want to see the facts of a situation

You're "ignorant", when you refuse to be intellectually honest and consider and answer the other side's argument.

You're don't a define a person as "ignorant" when you don't like what the person is saying

Religious people saying you're ignorant of the facts.....REALLY NOW?

It's a victim card to protect the ego, when there there isn't a bleeding victim in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Periwinkle!

The word baltic makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

Not a word but drives me mental when I read or hear. Haters are always gonna hate. ...

Using the word "attacked" when someone has been verbally belaboured. Not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Inspection or Compliance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

zenno wrote: »
    Selfie. I haaaaaate it with a vengence. :mad:
    And it's seriously exploded since the Oscars thing. So annoying.
    Especially because it's always used in a way that's overly jovial, or like it's winking at something..
    Meal.
    Also, 'mealworm'. Ew.
    Adamantium wrote: »
    "Ignorant" in the wrong context. Usually said by those who are the most "ignorant"

My brother uses this wrongly the whole time. Any time he's insulted or disagrees with us on a slight issue, it's an immediate affront to him. He then refuses to fill us in the facts. A refusal to engage with the other, it's as bad as your a "NAZI". A dead end word , and it does nothing to move a conversation forward, It ends one.

Let's get this straight

You're "ignorant", when you do not want to see the facts of a situation

You're "ignorant", when you refuse to be intellectually honest and consider and answer the other side's argument.

You're don't a define a person as "ignorant" when you don't like what the person is saying

Religious people saying you're ignorant of the facts.....REALLY NOW?

It's a victim card to protect the ego, when there there isn't a bleeding victim in sight.

It can also mean that one simply does not know something, and because of that I've called people ignorant in a straightforward, innocent way. But other meanings are more popular I suppose, so they got offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Twerk.

7ofBrian wrote: »
    Twerk.

The word is a hate worthy deformed cousin of 'shambolic', but the action it describes has its merits. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Prepping for something. Prep Exams. Prep prep pep :mad:

also

Peppa Pig. more incipient than bosco ever could manage :D

Pleasure

It's fine as part of normal sentences, but when meant in a sexy way it just makes me cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wispa9

Tummy, especially when I hear adults saying it. I've always thought it's such a childish word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Literally.

It literally drives me mad :)

"Awkward" as misused to describe Zooey Deschanel characters or confrontational comedy routines. So called copy - writers for media companies should put down their twitter feed and pick up a thesaurus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I hate the word 'moist' it's sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Ring4Fea wrote: »
    Using the word "attacked" when someone has been verbally belaboured. Not the same.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

I really hate it when people use the internet to complain about their dislikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The word "slut" and any of its many derivatives. People who believe that somebody else's sex life is a reason to look down on or disrespect them sicken me to my core.

e_e wrote: »

This post is dependent on the notion that Pat can be attacked. Bwah haw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Cherish

• Advertisement

Bro
    Bromeister

Emo (kindergoth is more accurate)

Zaftig (because it's now misused as per "curvaceous". Rebel Wilson and Miriam Margoyles are not zaftig. Jennifer Coolidge is zaftig. )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I've seen this numerous times in 'animal attacks human' articles, but I've always found it curious.

The phrasing 'the animal/dog was subsequently destroyed.'

Why 'destroyed'?
    Is 'put down' not emphatic enough?
    Does the animal have to be completely obliterated before we are satisfied and/or put at ease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Mom and Dod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

I hate when people refer to themselves as anal it annoys me so much
    I find most people who use it are assholes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Phlegm
    Causative
    Somewhat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

deseil wrote: »
    I hate when people refer to themselves as anal it annoys me so much
    I find most people who use it are assholes :)
    At least they're accurate. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

when people say "ish" at the end of a word, because they want to sit on the fence can't make up their fúcking minds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

when people say "ish" at the end of a word, because they want to sit on the fence can't make up their fúcking minds

There is an exception though, sometimes people portray cnutish behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

'Snog'

Ok, firstly, we have our own many many words for 'french kissing' each other. We have 'meet', 'shift' 'score' ... ... ... ok so that's apparently all we've got. But there's three fairly strong words, all with their own rich and and illustrious heritage, I'm sure.

But 'snog'? Secondly it is just an awful awful word onomatopoeiaically. I'd meet someone, I'd even shift someone if I happened to be in a field somewhere with a cow shed nearby, I'd score someone if I wasn't so apprehensive about the disambiguation in terms of whether I'd be getting a kiss or a wrap of smack (I'm from Tallaght)... But it would be a cold hard day in hell before I'd ever be enticed by the idea of snogging someone. Conjures up sensations of phlegm and coughing and, to be frank, respiratory illnesses of all sorts.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

When people talk about their partner.

They're your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife.

Why not just say that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Ring4Fea wrote: »
    what would the word for that body part be from around 2000 years ago?

Gowl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

Pubic or pelvic, ick, awful words.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FudgeBrownie

In the same way, using mong. Says a lot more about the speaker than the subject.

I'm the same with people saying "capper".

I haven't heard someone use it in a long while though.

Also hate when people say pooped for when they're tired. Makes it sound like they've sh@t themselves.

Cuppa. People who say they're going to have a 'cuppa' are so annoying :D

Vagina.

Sounds way more unpleasant as a word than it does as an experience.

Vagina.

Sounds way more unpleasant as a word than it does as an experience.

In fairness, vagina sounds a lot better than scrotum... I'm sure some comedian had a gag about that years ago, something about 'if genital names were place names', can't remember the details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

dee_mc wrote: »
    In fairness, vagina sounds a lot better than scrotum... I'm sure some comedian had a gag about that years ago, something about 'if genital names were place names', can't remember the details!

Does that mean that Perineum is another name for Ballsbridge??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭fire_man

Boom.selfie.backdrop.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

Bucolic. Sounds anything but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Fester/festering

Calling biscuits 'biccies', 'would you like a little biccy love?' Shudder

Same with calling sausages 'saussies'! Bleugh!

People using 'wha' at the end of sentences.
    That 'ah here leave it out' line drives me up the walls.

And as mentioned already a few times
    Moist
    Panties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Brilliant. there are two threads about brilliant quotes in AH now. Why does everything have to be exaggeratedly good.

A Neil Degrasse Tyson clip keeps popping up in my Facebook feed where he "Destroys" climate deniers. He does nothing of the sort but people can't seem to deal with a video called "here's a nice explanation"

And finally, people who talk like children e.g. calling a computer "puter". It make me want to punch them in the balls/gee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement