Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning Man 2014

Options
  • 19-03-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Just throwing up this thread to help those who might be considering Burning Man 2014 and some of the logistics in getting plugged in to a theme camp. I'm not attending this year as I am busy and involved in a New Mexico regional. I'd also point out that some will be travelling at times when major BM regional events will be happening.

Happy to try and answer any questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can you give us a basic rundown of what it is and what to expect? I was the opinion it was one fixed event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

expect madness. I went 2013 and it was one of the craziest, funnest things I've ever been to. We went with veterans and between 8 of us spent around $6000 on equipment, food and drink.

You have to be completely self sustained for the week of the festival - no ATM's on site, the nearest shop is an hour or so away. Anything you need on site, you have to barter with someone for something that you have.

There are exhibits, shows, dancing, drinking and a fair amount of illegal substances. I seriously have not felt so safe in my life. The desert is merciless and people look after each other

http://www.burningman.com gives a great overview of what it is they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

Tickets were sold out very quickly this year so I missed out unfortunately. There are some tickets available if you write a hand written letter to some hippies in San Francisco who give reduced priced tickets based on your sob story!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Can you give us a basic rundown of what it is and what to expect? I was the opinion it was one fixed event?

My brother in law was at last year's one with his wife. His pics are here.

http://scottkrycia.com/burning-man-2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MadsL wrote: »
    Just throwing up this thread to help those who might be considering Burning Man 2014 and some of the logistics in getting plugged in to a theme camp. I'm not attending this year as I am busy and involved in a New Mexico regional. I'd also point out that some will be travelling at times when major BM regional events will be happening.

Happy to try and answer any questions.

Slightly off topic, I know, but goign tothe European BM Nowhere this year instead :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Push Pop wrote: »
    Tickets were sold out very quickly this year so I missed out unfortunately. There are some tickets available if you write a hand written letter to some hippies in San Francisco who give reduced priced tickets based on your sob story!

AKA the low-income programme.

If you want to go them get involved with a local group/theme camp. Tickets will filter way down and the STEP ticket resale has not even started.

There are some great regional events around you too...

Slightly off topic, I know, but goign tothe European BM Nowhere this year instead :D

I hear good things about Nowhere.

I'm not even going to begin to describe BM - there are plenty of videos and even the documentary Spark if you want to get a visual sense.

On the emotional sense it is way to realise that most everything you assumed about the way people interact is wrong.

There are numerous regional events - Flipside being the biggest (2500) in Austin Memorial Day weekend, Element 11 in Utah etc. There is even one small gathering in Ireland.

Advertisement