Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Onkyo amp problems

• 19-03-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,
    im new to this forum but wondering if anyone has any advice/help for me?
    I have an Onkyo tx sr606 av receiver, which i payed a lot of cash for a few years back.
    I have my Tv, horizon box,satellite receiver,ps3 and iomega media player, and an iphone dock, connected to it.
    It has worked flawlessly up until now and produces a great sound.
    My issue however is it has recently started to randomly switch between channels by itself, during viewing??
    When it first started happening - switching back to relevant channel or switching receiver off and on again solved the problem.
    It doesnt happen every time , but seems to be becoming a more regular event.
    Also it can happen when viewing any device (mainly television [horizon], and media player).
    Can anyone offer me any advice ? Is it a sign that it is on its way out?
    Or can it be sorted by settings /connections??
    Anyone else had a similar issue with Onkyo amps??
    Thanks in advance, cheers.:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Sadly allot of old Onkyo amps have badly made HDMI board's. Honestly surprised it lasted this long.
    If you get the board from Onkyo (fitted) it's the better part of €200.

New amp time perhaps

>Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

That sounds strange. So you're watching cable TV via the horizon box, and the channel on the horizon box suddenly changes? How can your receiver possibly change the channel on the horizon box? Or do you mean that the TV suddenly switches from the horizon box to a different input (say the ps3)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

akaSol wrote: »
    Sadly allot of old Onkyo amps have badly made HDMI board's. Honestly surprised it lasted this long.
    If you get the board from Onkyo (fitted) it's the better part of €200.

New amp time perhaps

>Sol

Thanks akasol,sounds like thats exactly whats happening ie. jumping between hdmi ports.
    When you say older Onkyo amps, does this mean the up to date ones have this issue sorted? or am i best avoiding Onkyo if replacing this one? :confused:

Luck100 wrote: »
    That sounds strange. So you're watching cable TV via the horizon box, and the channel on the horizon box suddenly changes? How can your receiver possibly change the channel on the horizon box? Or do you mean that the TV suddenly switches from the horizon box to a different input (say the ps3)?

Sorry, when i said switching channels - i mean , if im watching Tv through my horizon box and its connected to amp through hdmi port 2 (cable/satellite), then the Tv will all of a sudden go blank because the amp has jumped from that hdmi port to maybe hdmi port 4 (game/tv) or port 1 or 3, then starts jumping between them.:mad::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Thanks akasol,sounds like thats exactly whats happening ie. jumping between hdmi ports.
    When you say older Onkyo amps, does this mean the up to date ones have this issue sorted? or am i best avoiding Onkyo if replacing this one? :confused:

I can't say about the new series but up to the xx8 series I had seen lots of HDMI problems.
    Having owned two Yamahas both of which are still going could not rate them highly enough. Might go with an Arcam or Marantz next time though...

>Sol
    (ps I once owned a 605 so I am former user, sold it after 6 months)

• Advertisement

akaSol wrote: »
    I can't say about the new series but up to the xx8 series I had seen lots of HDMI problems.
    Having owned two Yamahas both of which are still going could not rate them highly enough. Might go with an Arcam or Marantz next time though...

>Sol
    (ps I once owned a 605 so I am former user, sold it after 6 months)

Thanks again, much appreciated - have tried removing a couple of devices and switching ports so only 2 hdmi ports in use , so will see if it helps otherwise will be heading out to look at replacements, quite fancy a yamaha if im honest :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Sorry, when i said switching channels - i mean , if im watching Tv through my horizon box and its connected to amp through hdmi port 2 (cable/satellite), then the Tv will all of a sudden go blank because the amp has jumped from that hdmi port to maybe hdmi port 4 (game/tv) or port 1 or 3, then starts jumping between them.:mad::confused:

Ok, I understand now. That does sound like the hdmi switching is crapping out.

I'm running a 15 year old Onkyo (Integra) AV receiver, but I don't use it for video switching. Just as an audio amp, and it still sounds very nice. It was built well before hdmi even existed.

Thinking about going for one of these as a replacement, seems to get decent reviews :D
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=24&productid=1363

Advertisement