Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maine Coon

• 19-03-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Anyone know where I can get a Maine Coon Cat and any advice on caring for them? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

My advice is make sure you're going to a good breeder, one who has screened for genetic problems like heart tests. Make sure you see kittens in the home environment with the mother at the very least. Prepare for a cat that's going to grow quite big quite fast. Get them used to being on a harness early on. Choose a good food and keep an eye on their teeth as they are prone to dental issues. Get them used to being groomed as kittens, make it easier when they're adults because there is nothing more difficult than trying to brush a cat who doesn't want to be brushed.

For getting one, if you want a kitten, you'll have to go to a breeder. A good breeder will have their kittens registered with the GCCFI or TICA, and on the unactive register if you're buying for a pet home. Many will also contract that their kittens must be neutered by six months, and if needing to be rehomed, will go back to them. Do not buy anything without seeing papers for it first, there are loads of people selling 'purebreds' that could be a mix of just about anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

There's plenty of good maine coon breeders around but I would agree with all of the above! A good place to start would be to go to cat shows, meet the breeders and the cats and they will give you a good idea on what to look out for, there's one coming up on the 4th of May in Dublin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

www.sabcci.com has a breeders list.

scans for hcm for parents is a must, dont just go on a dna result.
    hip dysplcia results for parents too as they are a large breed.
    ryal canin do a maine coon food with xl kibble also happy cat do an xl kibble too.
    some lines do suffer from gum issues, my boy is 8 and hasnt had a single issue.

they need to be groomed from young and the breeder should have started it.
    they will spill water out of bowls so a water fountain is a must.
    they will need a bath every now and again.

They can be good at walking on a harness if you start them young.

If you want the name of reputable breeders feel free to pm me.

As silly mango suggested it would be worth while going to a cat show and talk to owners/breeders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

They're beautiful animals and I'd love one myself.

Do those of you who have them allow them outdoors to roam by themselves or just on a lead? How do they react when out walking if they happen to meet a dog?

Advertisement