Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthmatic Cat?

• 19-03-2014 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

Poppy has only been with us for about 6 months or so and she's always had a bit of a cough. Now at first we put it down to furballs as she pulls bits of fur out and eats it. We found a furball once and assumed it was hers, but other than that we have never seen her bring up a furball.

I've noticed that it's happening more frequently, a few times a day, most days. I don't think that it's furballs and it sounds like a wet rattly wheeze. In herself she's fine and galloping around the house like a lunatic. We mentioned it a few months ago at her vet check but our vet put it down to furballs.

Given that the info I've seen online says that it can be hard to distinguish between furballs and asthma I'm just curious if anyone has an asthmatic cat and if so what are the exact symptoms that we should be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Have you mentioned to your vet? Might be worthwhile treating for lungworm first, to rule that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yeah, we mentioned it when we brought her in a few months ago. But it wasn't too bad at that point. It just seems to be happening a few times a day most days and she never brings up a furball. She's still galloping around like an utter lunatic, she's very good at amusing herself with toys:) I'll record it happening a couple of times on my phone and show it to the vet next time we bring her in, it doesn't seem to upset her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

When my 14-years old cat was a kitten, she suffered from asthma.
    One night we saw her, squat on the floor, with her eyes wide open, her mouth half open and her tongue outside and purple to violet in colour, while she was coughing and air starving.
    We were terrorized, we thought she was going to die, but in a few minutes the thing was over.
    It happened other times, we talked to the vet who said she didn't know what it could be. So I thought that it could have been a good idea to take a movie of the event, I starting having my camcorder ready and one night we were able to make a short movie of this cough. The following day I showed it to my vet and she recognized it was asthma.
    She prescripted drops of cortisone to have always ready on the shelf. In the event of an asthmatic cough we should have dropped two or three drops of cortisone right in the cat's mouth.
    I think we only used them once, then it never happened again, thanks God!
    If you have a digital camera you could make a short clip and then show it to the vet, he/she will be able to understand it better.
    A kiss for your kitten ;)

Advertisement