Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed - Unity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

The fundamental problem with Assassins Creed has and always will be the controls. One of my friends put it like this. "We gave them a pass for ACII because it was such a step above ACI, but when no inkling of work is put it on Brotherhood, Revelations, III and IV you gotta ask are the devs even bothered with improving the controls?"

One game I think Ubisoft could learn from is the inFAMOUS franchise, it has some of the parkour mechanics yet the controls feel so much more fluid. When playing the AC franchise I feel like the whole world is a velcro strip and I'm the other half of the velcro strip. It's so frustrating when you're playing a mission and you fall off a building because the controls aren't refined enough to allow me to be in full control.

I'm hardly surprised by Ubisoft because it's in their M.O. to **** up lately. Don't get me wrong I love the franchise, I love reading the alternate history on the AC wiki like JFK was assassinated by a Templar sleeper agent because he wanted to go to the moon with the Soviets but the Templars wanted control to get an Apple of Eden on the moon. I've read so much backstory literature but the games have been going in a direction which I'm not happy about. Like for instance why did they kill off Desmond and replace him with a camera to move around the world? And in this game you're literally playing a games console that the assassins hack so you can view Arno's story and do work for them. Like why Ubisoft? You go from jumping off a skyscraper, storming Abstergo in ACIII to this ****?

• Ok last one; Think some sort of record has been achieved for continuous use of the word fanboy in one post. :P

Not sure about the mod rules on doing this so soz if I'm breaking any rules.

"I am not a liar or a fanboy. I have never seen you bitching at PS4 fanboys.

Now please just f**k off and leave me be. You are a grown ass man crying about fanboys all because I poked a little fun, you sound pathetic.

You just called me a LIAR because I said I never seen you complain to PS4 fanboys and I HATE being called a LIAR so I just went through your posting history checking through FIVE pages of posts and ALL I could find was you bitching at XB1 gamers calling them FANBOYS."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    According to Digital Foudry it's running better on Xbox One than PS4. The comments section is pure comedy.

#FollowTheMoney

dP8fd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Have Ubisoft commented on the performace at all, or is this something they are likely to just ignore? Because medium to good reviews have no impact, these games sell by the bucket load now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They have a bit. The game is very CPU dependent due to the large amount of AI systems needed and the consoles are more reliant on GPU power. It probably explains the better performance on the One since it has the better CPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It probably explains the better performance on the One since it has the better CPU.

As far as I know, the PS4 and XBO have the same CPU, except the XBO CPU is clocked at 1.75GHz, while the PS4 is at 1.6GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

So current gen consoles are already struggling...that was a quick lifecycle. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So basically they crippled the game just to add more bodies into the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

To be honest, ever since the first Assassins Creed I always thought the game never delivered. Never did what it said on the tin. For me the yarde stick for these sort of games is Hitman. Whilst those games themselves became far too linear they delivered on the main point of the game; the assassination. in Hitman there were endless ways of snuffing out your target. Finding out info and picking multiple routes into target, then disguise and stealth plays a massive part also, but the actual deed itself can be done whatever way you want; stab them, shoot them from a range, strangle them, poison them, with a candle stick, make it look like col. mustard did it etc., etc... With Assassins Creed you always just, well, stabbed them. Maybe from cover, maybe from above, but the result was generally the same.

The only saving grace I got from the series was the worlds, and the combat system... but in each game since the first one the combat system has been dumbed down and just isn't enjoyable. I thought Shadow of Mordor actually managed to use their system and make it infinitely better in one game (although I'd like the combat to be a bit more complicated like AC2)

Yeah, not surprised with the reviews at all. Since the 2nd game they've taken the worst features of the games and just made them more evident instead of dealing the core of the game; assassinations.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

RPS have a small piece on the performance of the game on the PC.

Seems that even there, the performance is ridiculously CPU dependent.

Turning the settings to the lowest possible (1280x720) gives an average frame rate in the mid thirties. My god.

Turning the settings to fairly high, (1920x1080) gives an average frame rate also in the mid thirties.

It's an embarrassing state of affairs, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Pretty disappointed the RPS article didn't touch on how the engine scales across multiple cores on the PC. I can only hope they update the piece soon given that it's a pretty important piece of info to consider when dealing with a game thats apparently CPU-bound. Digital Foundry may post something new too when they get some time with it rather than just focusing on the console versions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Otacon wrote: »
    As far as I know, the PS4 and XBO have the same CPU, except the XBO CPU is clocked at 1.75GHz, while the PS4 is at 1.6GHz.

Which still makes it a better CPU. A 150MHz clock speed spread across 8 cores is still a significant advantage in that department.
    So basically they crippled the game just to add more bodies into the crowd.

It's a bit more complex than that. The animation system and traversal system of the characters are all AI controlled as well. AI crowd behaviour becomes exponential more complex the more npcs you add. ubisoft have said graphically its not pushing the systems but once you add the AI its what drags performance down. Both new consoles are heavily dependent on the GPU to carry quite poor CPUs.

gizmo wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed the RPS article didn't touch on how the engine scales across multiple cores on the PC. I can only hope they update the piece soon given that it's a pretty important piece of info to consider when dealing with a game thats apparently CPU-bound. Digital Foundry may post something new too when they get some time with it rather than just focusing on the console versions.

They're still waiting on the PC version to arrive.

They're still waiting on the PC version to arrive.
    Oh they got it, as the author says though, it's a bit early for more in depth analysis. The scaling info just happens to be the first thing I'd check after seeing those kinds of results.

An Exciting Post About AssCreed Unity’s PC Performance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Otacon wrote: »

The PS4s CPU automatically overclocks to 2GHz when under load. Works exactly like Core i5s and i7s do.

The Only advantage the X1 has is the ES RAM if developers choose to use it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gizmo wrote: »

RPS don't really do the whole numbers game to be honest, not when DF cover it so well on the software side, and Anandtech cover it so well on the hardware side.

It's also a first glance piece, only just got the code and wanted to let people know (and get page impressions). As such, he only has his own PC to test against, not a bank of them.*

*That's just what I got from reading the article. He could have HAL9000 sitting beside his gaming pc for all I know.

The PS4s CPU automatically overclocks to 2GHz when under load. Works exactly like Core i5s and i7s do.

Where did you read the first part? While the Jaguar APU can run at 2Ghz according to AMD, I've not seen anything approaching official confirmation of what you've said.

Any reliable links, First I've heard about it and nothing on digital foundry?

CatInABox wrote: »
    RPS don't really do the whole numbers game to be honest, not when DF cover it so well on the software side, and Anandtech cover it so well on the hardware side.

It's also a first glance piece, only just got the code and wanted to let people know (and get page impressions). As such, he only has his own PC to test against, not a bank of them.*

*That's just what I got from reading the article. He could have HAL9000 sitting beside his gaming pc for all I know.
    He states in the article that his PC has a Core i7 980x which is a 6-core / 12 thread part. I'm certainly not looking for hard stats yet, just a general comment on how the game scales across the available resources. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

That is not true, the PS4 does not jump by 400Mhz across 8 cores under load. Where did you read that?

The PS4 has 8 cores running at 1.6Ghz per core. Of the 8 cores only 6 are available to developers. The other 2 are used for system processes and the OS.

Of the 8GB RAM, only 4.5GB is available to developers as the OS and system processes use 3.5GB.

So on paper it is 8 cores and 8GB ram... In reality it is only 6 cores and 4.5GB for the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Facts.

Is there anything they can't do? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Has anyone seen this compilation of glitches from AC:Unity?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Little interest in this at the moment until they sort it out performance wise

but something stuck out to me and I just wanted a brief confirmation from someone with the game.

Remember the whole controversy over no female assassins in co-op?
    well according to bits of story people have been talking to me about a female templar assassin shows up. she's just not playable. kind of puts a hole in the *double the workload to animate a female assassin* argument if you've gone and done that anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Has anyone seen this compilation of glitches from AC:Unity?

Not working...

OR removed by UBi?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Here is the fixed link. This video is shocking. Wont be getting this game now. Went out and got Halo Master Chief collection last night instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkzIGSyjLQ#t=278

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

logik wrote: »
    Here is the fixed link. This video is shocking. Wont be getting this game now. Went out and got Halo Master Chief collection last night instead.

Hilarious but disappointing. I had high hopes for this game. Black Flag was a masterpiece and the trailers for this looked spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭Penn

logik wrote: »

Man, some of that is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

That video is unreal, some of that is down to 0 or 1 frame per second at the end there in the church!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Keyzer wrote: »
    Hilarious but disappointing. I had high hopes for this game. Black Flag was a masterpiece and the trailers for this looked spectacular.

Not being hyper critical but bar the next gen palette the trailers for this never excited me, reminded me too much of Italy used in II, Brotherhood and Revelations. Think after the departure with Black Flag and to a lesser extent AC:III I was expecting something different. Would love a western or something like Victorian London.
    Wanted that after playing the oh so basic Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper :D

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Remember the whole controversy over no female assassins in co-op?
    well according to bits of story people have been talking to me about a female templar assassin shows up. she's just not playable. kind of puts a hole in the *double the workload to animate a female assassin* argument if you've gone and done that anyway?

If it's just cutscenes then there's only a minimal amount of mo-cap to do compared to a full playable character and the AI animation code as well. They could just do the mass effect thing of the same animations for the female as the male but it just looks all kinds of wrong.

Advertisement