Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture gone... :(

Options
  • 19-03-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Im really hoping someone can help me here or may have had a similiar experience.

Just bought a house, which im delighted with :)

But we were told that furnishing and furnitue were included with the table (kitchen table, chairs, two beds, mirror, etc)

Just got the keys and everything was taken bar the curtains.

The auctioneer says it is nothing to do with him, that is is the job of the solicitors. The solicitors are saying it has nothing to do with them, it is the job of the auctioneer??????

The auctioneer had told me the furniture was included, but now saying its only the railings and kitchen fittings.

Anyone got any advice or experience on this or should I just leave it go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

What was in your contract? Included items should be listed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

solictor should have covered this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Yeah solicitors job for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Solicitor's job to look after contracts, and if furniture was included it should be there, if you never mentioned that the furniture was included to the solicitor then they probably didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewHomie

solictor should have covered this.

I have an email from the solicitor stating that we didnt need to cover this with her?

It all has me very confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We had something similar, we were quite disappointed as we didn't have a bean after buying the house. We met the actual sellers (who were nice people) to give us the keys (the estate agent didnt have them all) and they said thats a pity because they didn't know we wanted it and threw it out (the place was rented before we bought it). My parents helped out out in the end.
    I've a colleague in work that tells the story that when he bought his house he had to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor and the sofa was a deck chair for the first month or so until he got some more funds! :)

Estate agents, what a great bunch of lads eh?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    We had something similar, we were quite disappointed as we didn't have a bean after buying the house. We met the actual sellers (who were nice people) to give us the keys (the estate agent didnt have them all) and they said thats a pity because they didn't know we wanted it and threw it out (the place was rented before we bought it). My parents helped out out in the end.
    I've a colleague in work that tells the story that when he bought his house he had to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor and the sofa was a deck chair for the first month or so until he got some more funds! :)

Estate agents, what a great bunch of lads eh?

I know, going to be sleeping on bean bags and handouts for few months to save up funds ;)

Just feel like I got duped or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

NewHomie wrote: »
    I have an email from the solicitor stating that we didnt need to cover this with her?

It all has me very confused.

The contents if the house, if any, should be listed in the contracts. Did you see them as you read the contracts?
    If they weren't there you should have asked your solicitor to quiery this issue then. Usually there contents are not included in the sale so if you did not ask they wouldn't know that they needed to clarify it.

mhge wrote: »
    The contents if the house, if any, should be listed in the contracts. Did you see them as you read the contracts?
    If they weren't there you should have asked your solicitor to quiery this issue then. Usually there contents are not included in the sale so if you did not ask they wouldn't know that they needed to clarify it.

Will have to chat with my better half tonight, could have been something we overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Supercell wrote: »

'Twas ever thus. We slept in sleeping bags on camping matresses for a couple of months, and our tables were cardboard boxes and plastic crates for longer. It was a year before we got a sofa, and a couple of years before we replaced the boxes doing duty as beside tables.

On moaning about this to my parents they reported going six months without a proper bed and a full year without carpets. Presumably had my grandparents been alive they would have told me about spending three years in a paper bag in a septic tank...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Will have to chat with my better half tonight, could have been something we overlooked.

Congratulations on the house and don't let it spoil the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

Check out adverts.ie etc, even in this day and age there are always people giving away stuff, it might not be exactly what you want, but should help with some of your basic needs to start with.
    And just remember, you WILL look back and laugh at the oul 3rd hand couch in the photographs! see it as a rite of passage , and enjoy your new home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

SVdP have charity shops that sell furniture for half nothing; the one in Naas regularly has things like sofa suits for about €150. Theres no reason to be eating off crates really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

Check out freetradeireland.ie or jumbletown.ie for items people are looking to give away for free.

Might be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OP its very straight forward the contents to be left as agreed between you and the seller are in the contract. If its not in the contract then its no surprise its gone and these items are not yours.

If its in the contract get onto your solicitor to get these items back. If it isnt then thats the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Don't worry too much, the likes of freecycle can help you furnish your place for free. I have used it both ways and it is a good way to recycle things.

I have given away some good quality furniture so don't think it is all cheap and nasty. You can also repurpose furniture with a bit of imagination. You could really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Tordelback wrote: »
    'Twas ever thus. We slept in sleeping bags on camping matresses for a couple of months, and our tables were cardboard boxes and plastic crates for longer. It was a year before we got a sofa, and a couple of years before we replaced the boxes doing duty as beside tables.

On moaning about this to my parents they reported going six months without a proper bed and a full year without carpets. Presumably had my grandparents been alive they would have told me about spending three years in a paper bag in a septic tank...

Septic tank, Pure luxury! We only dreamed of such things. (for those wondering what all this is about see link below.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In many countries, kids learn about the value of stuff when they first go flatting. Here is happens when you buy a house!

Initial priorites are roughly speaking:
    Somewhere to sleep and bedding
    A work-surface in the kitchen
    One cup, plate, knife, fork and spoon per person
    A stove
    Basic cooking utensils
    One chair per person
    Fidge
    Washing machine (unless you have someone close you can borrow from) + line or clothes horse
    A table

After that you're getting into the nice-to-have. Stuff like sofas are a lot further down the list

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Adverts is the best bet for you..when I brought my house I went sale agreed with the furniture but I didn't need most of the stuff, so gave it all away on adverts..lovely guy came around and kitted out his house with it. Definitely worth having a look at adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Lantus wrote: »
    Septic tank, Pure luxury! We only dreamed of such things. (for those wondering what all this is about see link below.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw

Our dad used to beat us to sleep with a broken bottle,

but we were happy.

classic sketch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,613 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You'll get some decent stuff on www.Freetradeireland.ie as well.

It was my go to when we first moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As an aside this thread really reminded me of a scene in the Richard Pryor film "Moving" from the 80's.

He goes to check out this fabulous new house and while walking around the place with the owners they're making what seems like awful jokes about taking things like the doors and cabinets and even the pool with them.
    Except it's not a joke! After the deal is done and he gets there, the doors, floor tiles, staircase, cabinets have all been ripped out and there's a big gaping hole where the pool used to be! :P
    Need to watch that film again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ha! Reminds me of when I bought my flat. Nightmare doesn't even cover it...

We knew that the furniture wasn't included (not that we wanted it anyway). The fridge and cooker were built-in, so that was OK. The flat was all electric, so we arranged with the vendor to read the meter when they moved out and not cut the electric off.

Moving in day was fun. Didn't get the keys until 6pm - and then only after my boyfriend threatened to charge the vendors rent. My father warned me to buy light bulbs just in case, as people were known to take them out. I couldn't believe people could be THAT tight, but OK. I bought them anyway. Just as well. They'd taken the bloody light bulbs!! Oh - and even the bog roll holder!! :eek:. And yes - they'd cut off the electric which took us THREE days to restore...

The flat was left in a filthy condition too, and running alive with fleas from their cats they never bothered to treat. Took me a week to clean it to a good enough standard to even move in.

OP - I doubt the furniture was included in the contract. I'd check it over carefully. If it was, then get on to the solicitor straight away. They are the ones to chase the vendor's solicitors and clear this up. If the furniture was to be included, then ask for a cash sum to cover the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hi all,

Im really hoping someone can help me here or may have had a similiar experience.

Just bought a house, which im delighted with :)

But we were told that furnishing and furnitue were included with the table (kitchen table, chairs, two beds, mirror, etc)

Just got the keys and everything was taken bar the curtains.

The auctioneer says it is nothing to do with him, that is is the job of the solicitors. The solicitors are saying it has nothing to do with them, it is the job of the auctioneer??????

The auctioneer had told me the furniture was included, but now saying its only the railings and kitchen fittings.

Anyone got any advice or experience on this or should I just leave it go?
    Something similar happened to me a few years back... bought an apartment and the light fittings were included.. mentioned in the brochure. But when I got the keys all of the light fittings and bulbs were gone...I was left with wires hanging from the ceiling and only one working light bulb in the hall. Also took shelves off the walls in the kitchen leaving bit holes behind. I got on to my solicitor who told me that it would be too costly to pursue the matter so I let it go,,,, but it was very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

check contracts and solicitor should have been proactive here in asking what was agreed in the sale.
    If your out of luck, have fun for a few months with limited furniture, its a nice experience that makes you appreciate things all the more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

some great bargains on adverts and done deal, i got a sofa for 200 on adverts, lasted me a year, sold it for the same money and upgraded to a five seater leather recliner for 500, it was in perfect nick, same one in shops is 2.5 k
    stay away from dfs ect, interest free credit ect its all crap and a con

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When we bought our house fixtures and fitting were listed. This did include a gas cooker. When we got into the house they had taken the cooker but not only that they hadn't closed off the gas pipe so we couldn't switch on the heating. The left a note in by the gas meter to tell us not to switch on the gas and it listed the fire had also been "interfered" with so also a problem.

Got a guy down and it turned out they had tried to take the fire out but had broken the pipes in it and connecting it.

What was so strange was neither were worth taking and we were going to throw them out as soon as we could. The cooker was absolutely disgusting and was the most noticeable thing in the house that had been neglected It was the fact they made the place unsafe and unable to heat that made me so angry. Light bulbs were mostly gone with the exception of the one in the hall. They also left a pile of stuff like broken bikes and old tyres. This was particularly strange as they hadn't been there when we viewed the property. A few days later a neighbour called in looking for something he "lent" them but actually seemed to just want to look at what they left behind to see if he wanted any of it. He then took a broken bike an a tyre even though he came for "garden thingy". Odd man and odd wife who we now know are having running arguments with all the neighbours including us. I am apparently the reason this woman has high blood pressure and she only had to take medication after I moved in to the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

When I bought my place at end of last December, as the furniture was included, the vendor had to supply my solicitor with a contents inventory - that way, I knew exactly what I was getting.

Hey all, thanks for help and replies :)
    TheDriver wrote: »
    check contracts and solicitor should have been proactive here in asking what was agreed in the sale.
    If your out of luck, have fun for a few months with limited furniture, its a nice experience that makes you appreciate things all the more!

Auctioneer said he gave the solicitor a letter about this, but he we were never informed. Even when we requested it.
    some great bargains on adverts and done deal, i got a sofa for 200 on adverts, lasted me a year, sold it for the same money and upgraded to a five seater leather recliner for 500, it was in perfect nick, same one in shops is 2.5 k
    stay away from dfs ect, interest free credit ect its all crap and a con

Taking you advice today ;)
    odds_on wrote: »
    When I bought my place at end of last December, as the furniture was included, the vendor had to supply my solicitor with a contents inventory - that way, I knew exactly what I was getting.

We were told all items in the house were included at the time we paid the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Auctioneer said he gave the solicitor a letter about this, but he we were never informed. Even when we requested it

And is your Solicitor acknowledging receipt of this letter? Either the letter was never sent or your solicitor neglected to include contents in the contract. However you yourselves should have noticed their absence in the contract.

Whether its worth pursuing, only you know. Please don't let this take the shine off this special time of settling into your new home.
    Congratulations, and may you have years of happiness there :-)

Advertisement