Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does my IPhone 5 keep shutting down?

• 19-03-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I have an iPhone 5 which keeps shutting off and will not turn back on until connected to charger. It has switched off at various levels of battery - 42%, 25% etc. There is no logic to it at all. It can happen at any stage. This has been happening now since before Xmas. I have the latest software updated on it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

canihave wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 5 which keeps shutting off and will not turn back on until connected to charger. It has switched off at various levels of battery - 42%, 25% etc. There is no logic to it at all. It can happen at any stage. This has been happening now since before Xmas. I have the latest software updated on it. Any suggestions?

A calibration of the battery could help it as your battery indicator could be off.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-calibrate-iphone-and-ipad-battery-life-for-maximum-performance-tutorial/

Otherwise back up your phone, restore from the back up with iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Has the battery been replaced?
    When the phone turns back on is the level % the same as before it shut down?
    Have you been using any car charger, or cheap Chinese chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Thanks for the replies. I have tried now restoring it but no use, still switches off.no the betters has not been replaced but yes have been using all kinds of chargers - could that be causing it?

Thanks for the replies. I have tried now restoring it but no use, still switches off.no the betters has not been replaced but yes have been using all kinds of chargers - could that be causing it?

Did you complete the calibration process? Is your iPhone still in warranty?

I have attempted the calibration but I had to restore it first as the battery keeps shutting down before it gets to zero. Since restoring it only got to 0% once and I fully charged up & left in but then next time is just shut off again at 38%. No the phone is over a year old.

• Advertisement

I don't know what else to suggest really, it sounds like it isn't a software issue so the battery will probably have to be replaced by Apple. This will cost you €75 + a possible shipping fee.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Ireland&product=iphone&select=BATTERY_REPLACEMENT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'd imagine battery replacement will solve this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fakedel

I'm having the same problem. It will die with anything between 20% and 50% showing on the battery indicator. The problem started after downloading IOS 7.

Well I replaced the battery & so far so good. It has shutdown only at 0%. Thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have attempted the calibration but I had to restore it first as the battery keeps shutting down before it gets to zero. Since restoring it only got to 0% once and I fully charged up & left in but then next time is just shut off again at 38%. No the phone is over a year old.

I have never known one to go to 0%. My models have always quit on 1% or 2%. Have you done a hard reset ?

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    I have never known one to go to 0%. My models have always quit on 1% or 2%. Have you done a hard reset ?

He solved the issue by replacing the battery. You would suggest a hard reset if the screen was scratched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Hard Reset solves a lot of software glitches. Sarcasm doesn't really help.

Advertisement