Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standards dropping at apt complex beside house.

Options
  • 19-03-2014 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

I feel a bit petty being bothered by this, but the story is a dozen apts were built behind my house in 2003. I have never taken much notice as all the occupants were very quiet but the noise levels have become very loud during the day around feburary this year.
    Every day for the past few months there are children and babies roaring crying, or just shouting and playing with noisy toys in these apts. My bedroom is at the back and there is no way I can study with that noise.
    I have no problems with kids, I raised 2 myself here and on both sides of me there are toddlers, and get on well with my direct neighbours.
    A while back it seemed there were suddenly lots of young mums moved in to the apts at the back, and now they have started using their balconies overlooking us to dry clothes on fold out airers.
    I notice that no other apt blocks allow airers on balconies, so is it illegal?
    And as for the sudden increase in noise, I would like to make contact with the landlord or MC, how would I go about getting their details?
    I would go up to the women in question re: crying or screaming kids, but i think i'd be told where to go. I don't mind a bit of noise, but this is a bit much. Mentioned about noise escalation with a direct neighbour this evening who agreed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Honest answer. Even if your neighbours spent their day smashing concrete with a jackhammer, you have no real reproach about noise during the daytime. I would suggest ear plugs to drop the screams down to a manageable level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Cheers, thanks for that, they are quiet evenings & night times, i'll give 'em that.
    Ear plugs it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

zef wrote: »
    A while back it seemed there were suddenly lots of young mums moved in to the apts at the back, and now they have started using their balconies overlooking us to dry clothes on fold out airers.
    I notice that no other apt blocks allow airers on balconies, so is it illegal?

No. It is usually against the rules of the complex to hang clothes on the balcony, but if such a rule does not exist or if there is no functioning management company to enforce it then its fair game.

As for the noise, unless its massively excessive (ie they are holding an open air concert in their back garden) then I suspect you are just going to have to find a way to deal with it! I find it very hard to believe that kids playing and babies crying in a neighbouring apartment complex is causing that much of an issue to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

oh no drying an airing clothes on a balcony :eek: first world problems...

Ok, I said it might be petty at the start - certainly the washing :) , I do have an illness which is not helped at all by sensory overload.
    As I am planning selling (or renting) the house and am hoping that the noise does not impede on it's value. I have not had a problem with these apt.s which are at the end of my back garden in 11 years, so i'm not over-reacting as some of you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

id imagine the build quality of your house is more likely to impede on its value.

I mean if you can hear children playing with toys in the adjacent apartment block theres somethign seriously wrong.....

either way as has been said previously you have no recourse against this kind of noise during the day and to call it a drop in standards is quite frankly a bit much. Kids play and I think you ahve a bit of a cheek insinuating these kids or families are of a lower standard of tenant as a result.

as for the clothese drying it might be against MC rules but its not illegal. Im not sure if you can make a complaint to the MC or not Im sure PaulW will advise either way but honestly as you ahve already conceded your being more than a bit petty tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

D3PO wrote: »

as for the clothese drying it might be against MC rules but its not illegal. Im not sure if you can make a complaint to the MC or not Im sure PaulW will advise either way but honestly as you ahve already conceded your being more than a bit petty tbh.

I don't think it's petty at all. Last thing people want is to feel like they're living amongst a bunch of flats with laundry hanging out everywhere.

Same goes for satellite dishes. Tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

seb65 wrote: »
    I don't think it's petty at all. Last thing people want is to feel like they're living amongst a bunch of flats with laundry hanging out everywhere.

Same goes for satellite dishes. Tacky.

Its a functional building. If people get away with hanging clothes outside or putting up a satellite dish in their apartment then more power to them; I would do the same if I could get away with it and it wouldnt cost me a thought as to what the neighbours thought. Why would anyone deny themselves outdoor drying facilities or access to a decent TV service just because someone might not like how it looks? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There is nothing wrong with the build quality of my house, it was rebuilt & renovated to a high standard after a house fire before christmas.
    I have decided to study in the spare room at the front and hopefully I won't be so bothered by it. The other kids on the road play out there, but they wouldn't bother anyone. I just can't handle that high pitched baby wail after 5 + minutes and i'm thinking why is the parent of the child not comforting it? I would never let my children scream for 30 mins like that, firstly for their sakes, and secondly because of the neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Noise cancelling earphones and some mellow music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

D3PO wrote: »
    id imagine the build quality of your house is more likely to impede on its value.

I mean if you can hear children playing with toys in the adjacent apartment block theres somethign seriously wrong.....

either way as has been said previously you have no recourse against this kind of noise during the day and to call it a drop in standards is quite frankly a bit much. Kids play and I think you ahve a bit of a cheek insinuating these kids or families are of a lower standard of tenant as a result.

Completely disagree with this post...when my kids were younger and playing out the back garden or whatever I was always mindful of an elderly neighbour on one side and would not have allowed them scream and roar all day. Its just not fair and to be honest I think it is indicative of a selfish mentality that has crept into our society whereby people don't care what their kids are doing as long as they are out of their hair.

I am very taken aback at some of these posts tbh. When did it become OK for some tenants (probably on rent allowance) to move in and interfere with someone else enjoying where they live? It would annoy the hell of me too

And before anyone takes umbrage at me insinuating they are on rent allowance, lets have a look at the facts. Single Mums, in the house all day with their noisy brood (therefore not out working) So how else are they paying their rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    Completely disagree with this post...when my kids were younger and playing out the back garden or whatever I was always mindful of an elderly neighbour on one side and would not have allowed them scream and roar all day. Its just not fair and to be honest I think it is indicative of a selfish mentality that has crept into our society whereby people don't care what their kids are doing as long as they are out of their hair.

I am very taken aback at some of these posts tbh. When did it become OK for some tenants (probably on rent allowance) to move in and interfere with someone else enjoying where they live? It would annoy the hell of me too

And before anyone takes umbrage at me insinuating they are on rent allowance, lets have a look at the facts. Single Mums, in the house all day with their noisy brood (therefore not out working) So how else are they paying their rent?
    Sweet Jesus.
    Gone be the day where one parent works and one parent raises their children.
    I live on an estate where there are loads of kids around making all kinds of noise while they are playing and its actually nice to hear in the summer; sometimes they can be a pain but when I go away on holidays I know there are twenty eyes and ears near the house not missing a beat.
    OP Reguarding hearing the noise inside maybe you could invest in some triple

glazing and add a bit of value and peace of mind in your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

Sweet Jesus.
    Gone be the day where one parent works and one parent raises their children.
    I live on an estate where there are loads of kids around making all kinds of noise while they are playing and its actually nice to hear in the summer; sometimes they can be a pain but when I go away on holidays I know there are twenty eyes and ears near the house not missing a beat.
    OP Reguarding hearing the noise inside maybe you could invest in some triple

glazing and add a bit of value and peace of mind in your home.

Good for you if you like listening to someone else's kids screeching, I don't (and lots of others don't either)

And OP specifically mentioned that they were single parents who moved in. So where is this 'other parent' out working?

Advertisement