Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless issue on laptop

Options
  • 19-03-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Every so often, the wireless on my pc just seems to stop working. The wireless symbol on the taskbar changes to the not connected symbol and within a few seconds, changes agin to a greyed out wireless symbol with a red x through it. There is nothing regular about this. It might happen a couple of times a week, then not happen for a few weeks.

The only way to get out of this is to restart the computer. Then its ok again.

Its not an issue with my broadband , as other devices work ok on the wireless.

Any help or hints appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Have you tried to update the driver, go the the device manufacturers website, see if there has been a fix released ::)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭dixiedan

Had a go at doing that. Unfortunately, there is such a mind boggling load of stuff out there that i didn't really know where to start or what i should download. Very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Ok mate, no problem, can you post the make and model of your laptop, and we'll see can we help?

Its a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows 7, Model PCG-71911M, Product name VPCEH2F1E (these codes from underside of pc).

Anyway, I did a bit more googling and eventually found something on the Sony website (must have missed it on my previous search) . However, the driver for the Atheros AR 9285 wireless network adaptor is the exact same version as already installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Uninstall the driver and reinstall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Does it make any difference whether the machine is running on battery or mains ? Does this happen after a period of inactivity by any chance ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Does it make any difference whether the machine is running on battery or mains ? Does this happen after a period of inactivity by any chance ?

Ken

I never really noticed this....maybe, maybe not biggrin.png

Anyway , I tried the suggestion of uninstalling then reinstalling the driver , so lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The wireless card may have a setting that lets the OS(Win7) turn off the device(atheros card) when a period of inactivity happens.

To control this......

Control Panel, System, Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters and then right click on the Atheros Card and select Properties.

Then select the Power Management tab at the top RH corner and see if

"allow computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked and uncheck it.

Advertisement