Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Asbestos Roof Removal

• 19-03-2014 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

How much would it cost to remove an asbestos roof of a boiler house?It is about 2 metres squared and is at head height. The roof is about 3-4 inches thick. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

shezer wrote: »
    How much would it cost to remove an asbestos roof of a boiler house?It is about 2 metres squared and is at head height. The roof is about 3-4 inches thick. Thanks in advance

Depends mainly on the grade of asbestos. All needs to be surveyed and i would think you are still looking at over a grand but under two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are you sure it's asbestos ? Might be worth checking ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are you sure it's asbestos ? Might be worth checking ?

Engineer said it is most likely as it's pre 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

kkelliher wrote: »
    Depends mainly on the grade of asbestos. All needs to be surveyed and i would think you are still looking at over a grand but under two

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 buttonsjunior

Hi All,

I have a large out house/barn which is asbestos and was wondering, if there are grants for the removal.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dzer2

shezer wrote: »

You can do it yourself go to the local council engineer and source the bags to put it in. Then get a good grade face and dust mask overalls and gloves. Whe you have the asbestos bagged seal the bags and take to the council waste site and they will dispose of it for a small charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Chisler2

dzer2 wrote: »
    You can do it yourself go to the local council engineer and source the bags to put it in. Then get a good grade face and dust mask overalls and gloves. Whe you have the asbestos bagged seal the bags and take to the council waste site and they will dispose of it for a small charge.

That seems simple. Is a face-mask and overalls sufficient? Presumably the tricky bit is breaking the sheets up to bag them. I thought that was the danger-point for contracting asbestosis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭hexosan

Yeah it sounds so simple to save a few euros now and enjoy the crazy medical bills in the future when your dying of lung cancer from exposure to asbestos.

Darwinism at its best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

hexosan wrote: »
    Yeah it sounds so simple to save a few euros now and enjoy the crazy medical bills in the future when your dying of lung cancer from exposure to asbestos.

Darwinism at its best

The OP would be well advised not to break up the asbestos sheet if they do undertake the job themselves, secondly if the asbestos is at all wet, they would be particularly advised to get in a licensed contractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭893bet

hexosan wrote: »

Darwinism at its best

I don't think a single exposure will cause cancer. While this is only an assumption I liken it to smoking a single packet of cigarettes causing cancer. Maybe I am wrong though.

• Advertisement

The OP would be well advised not to break up the asbestos sheet if they do undertake the job themselves, secondly if the asbestos is at all wet, they would be particularly advised to get in a licensed contractor.

What difference of they are wet? If they are wet that would help keep the dust down which is the danger part no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I wouldn't be keen on breaking up sheets myself ,But I wouldn't have a problem with doing a one off job with a decent dust mask ...
    Would it not be better to keep the sheets damp to keep any dust down ?? it's only a prob when it's airborn ??
    Or am I way off ..(not planning any asbestos work any time soon anyway)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I wouldn't be keen on breaking up sheets myself ,But I wouldn't have a problem with doing a one off job with a decent dust mask ...
    Would it not be better to keep the sheets damp to keep any dust down ?? it's only a prob when it's airborn ??
    Or am I way off ..(not planning any asbestos work any time soon anyway)
    That is pretty much my own perspective. Google seems to support it also! No harm in short term exposure especially if you take steps to limit exposure using masks, water etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

eek.png i love the free advice you get hereconfused.png and the caveats worth highlighting from the below text
    893bet wrote: »
    That is pretty much my own perspective. Google seems to support it also! No harm in short term exposure especially if you take steps to limit exposure using masks, water etc.

I don't think a single exposure will cause cancer. While this is only an assumption I liken it to smoking a single packet of cigarettes causing cancer. Maybe I am wrong though.
    What difference of they are wet? If they are wet that would help keep the dust down which is the danger part no?
    i though you were an expert?

while you're in the Googling mood why not give us a synopsis of the following:
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Your_Industry/Chemicals/Asbestos/Legislation/
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Chemical_and_Hazardous_Substances/Asbestos_Information_Sheet1.pdf
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Legislation/Acts/Safety_Health_and_Welfare_at_Work/Exposure_to_Asbestos_-_SI_589_-_2010/

BryanF wrote: »

Can you highlight where I said I was an expert please Bryan?

Actually it was the contrary. I asked questions......gave what my thoughts were and where I got these assumptions from..... I didn't claim I knew which was right or wrong. Indeed I specified I may be wrong? Rather strange if i was painting myself as an expert no?

However you take delight in trying to pull my pants down. Trying to be sarcastic with your "expert comment". Jesus this forum has gone to the dogs. You literally cant discuss anything. I have no problem with being wrong but it's all the "holier that thou" experts with smart one liners ruining it rather than those with mis information. Instead of engaging with those who may be misinformed they are ridiculed at will by members and mods alike.

Can you highlight where I said I was an expert please Bryan?
    you didn't.
    you did post three time to agree/confirm others assumptions
    Actually it was the contrary. I asked questions......gave what my thoughts were and where I got these assumptions from..... I didn't claim I knew which was right or wrong. Indeed I specified I may be wrong? Rather strange if i was painting myself as an expert no?
    my point is why bother posting random opinions and claiming Google back these up?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89620021&postcount=15
    you will note when id
    takeN delight in trying to pull my pants down. Trying to be sarcastic
    i offered you three good links to where you could find out actual info about the topic

from here on your just having a go and ill ignore as i had one first
    with your "expert comment". Jesus this forum has gone to the dogs. You literally cant discuss anything. I have no problem with being wrong but it's all the "holier that thou" experts with smart one liners ruining it rather than those with mis information. Instead of engaging with those who may be misinformed they are ridiculed at will by members and mods alike.
    good day to you. happy reading of the factual info (& legal requirements) I found by typing in 'asbestos' into Google;)

you didn't.
    you did post three time to agree/confirm others assumptions
    my point is why bother posting random opinions and claiming Google back these up?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89620021&postcount=15
    you will note when id i offered you three good links to where you could find out actual info about the topic

from here on your just having a go and ill ignore as i had one first

good day to you. happy reading of the factual info (& legal requirements) I found by typing in 'asbestos' into Google;)

Oh I know I didn't. Yet you took issue with my post not the three people who I responded to (insert appropriate smiley) for some reason. The factual part of your post doesn't make right the intentional flame at the start of your post.

I have no problem with the factual stuff. I am happy to learn always. Sadly the factual stuff on here is too often accompanied by a subtle dig.

I really am done posting here. I will continue to use as a passive information source or am perhaps a direct question but there is no point trying to engage and learn if you are afraid to post due to ridicule. While I am sure my knowledge (insert faux similes) will be of little loss to the forum there are plenty here who simply don't bother posting due to the atmosphere.

Yet you took issue with my post
    yes,
    not the three people who I responded to (insert appropriate smiley) for some reason.
    what can i say you stood out
    The factual part of your post doesn't make right the intentional flame at the start of your post.
    true
    I have no problem with the factual stuff. I am happy to learn always.
    what have you learned from the 3 documents i linked to?
    Sadly the factual stuff on here is too often accompanied by a subtle dig.
    especially when it relates to health & safety matters
    ....... if you are afraid to post due to ridicule.
    you should never be afraid to post due to ridicule, if you'd like to take this of line ill happily discuss this further.
    ....... there are plenty here who simply don't bother posting due to the atmosphere.
    that's often the fall back position of disgruntled posters who get feel they've been Ridiculed.

there are several avenues a poster can take.
    1. you could start by reporting a post. anyone can do it.
    2. you could then contact a mod by PM,
    3. or where necessary appeal a mod decision,
    4. and then there is this great little gem how do i ignore someone

yes, what can i say you stood out true
    what have you learned from the 3 documents i linked to? especially when it relates to health & safety matters

you should never be afraid to post due to ridicule, if you'd like to take this of line ill happily discuss this further.

that's often the fall back position of disgruntled posters who get feel they've been Ridiculed.

there are several avenues a poster can take.
    1. you could start by reporting a post. anyone can do it.
    2. you could then contact a mod by PM,
    3. or where necessary appeal a mod decision,
    4. and then there is this great little gem how do i ignore someone

Thanks for the info but I have resolved it myself above already. Perhaps when I have more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Under no circumstances break it up as this will cause the fibres to go airborne. Once inhaled they remain in your lungs forever. I have seen people die from asbestosis and believe me there is no worse sight or sound than someone gasping for breath yet cannot get one. As long as it is removed intact then the danger would be miniscule which still leaves the problem of disposal.

Disposal of Asbestos Cement Sheeting
    There is one landfill site in Ireland taking asbestos cement sheeting. It is KTK Landfill, Brownstown, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare.
    The asbestos cement sheeting must be transported by an authorised haulier.
    Some authorised asbestos cement sheeting handlers and hauliers:

• <snip>Co. Limerick,
      They can provide dust monitors and method statements.
    • <snip> Dublin is an authorised haulier as well
    For other asbestos removal contractors see the Golden pages under Asbestos – Surveying and Removal.
    Costs
    €300 to €400 per tonne +VAT @21% plus €560 per load for haulage plus VAT for about a 15 tonne load.

One farmer paid €335/tonne plus VAT to the KTK Landfill in 2003.

Another rule of thumb figure I got for costing its removal, transport and disposal was between €15 and €20 per m2
    Density
    Asbestos cement sheeting weighs about 17kg per m2.
    Wrapping
    The asbestos cement sheeting must be double wrapped with 1000 gauge polythene. The black or coloured sheet first followed by second sheet of clear polythene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭muddle84

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Under no circumstances break it up as this will cause the fibres to go airborne. Once inhaled they remain in your lungs forever. I have seen people die from asbestosis and believe me there is no worse sight or sound than someone gasping for breath yet cannot get one. As long as it is removed intact then the danger would be miniscule which still leaves the problem of disposal.

Disposal of Asbestos Cement Sheeting
    There is one landfill site in Ireland taking asbestos cement sheeting. It is KTK Landfill, Brownstown, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare.
    The asbestos cement sheeting must be transported by an authorised haulier.
    Some authorised asbestos cement sheeting handlers and hauliers:

• <snip>Co. Limerick,
      They can provide dust monitors and method statements.
    • <snip> Dublin is an authorised haulier as well
    For other asbestos removal contractors see the Golden pages under Asbestos – Surveying and Removal.
    Costs
    €300 to €400 per tonne +VAT @21% plus €560 per load for haulage plus VAT for about a 15 tonne load.

One farmer paid €335/tonne plus VAT to the KTK Landfill in 2003.

Another rule of thumb figure I got for costing its removal, transport and disposal was between €15 and €20 per m2
    Density
    Asbestos cement sheeting weighs about 17kg per m2.
    Wrapping
    The asbestos cement sheeting must be double wrapped with 1000 gauge polythene. The black or coloured sheet first followed by second sheet of clear polythene.

Great info there! That is a very helpful reply. Do these hauliers accept stuff that is already bagged in the polythene bags you specified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

my uncle died from mesothelioma, a very painful and long illness. he worked with asbestos for a period of six weeks during his early twenties on an oil refinery job. he died at 53. along with several other workers there at that time, his and their families were compensated in full admission of failure to protect their safety in the late seventies and eighties. is it really worth the risk? His consultant showed him the one, minute speck of asbestos that was lodged in his trachea, that had caused the disease on an X-ray. I am also reminded by a related case where a workers child developed the disease, as the worker wore his clothing home, and the particles entered the house of this family. I don't know how close your neighbours are, but aren't they worth considering too? See the 177 page document the HSA have online and you'll see the precautions you need to take. please.

Advertisement