Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes you good at your best subject?

• 19-03-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

For example, there might be someone on here (most likely a good few) who would consider themselves an "A Student" in Business.

My thinking for this thread is that if you are very good at a subject then you can post why it is you think you do so well in this subject. Perhaps it's your structure, or your method of study.

I just think it would be beneficial to get the perspective of someone who excels in a particular subject, you could very well pick up a thing or two that will improve your grades :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

One word: INTEREST

You're far more likely to excel in subjects you like. Although you'll probably like subjects for which you have a natural aptitude.

Languages and business subjects are my forté really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Indalo6

robman60 wrote: »
    One word: INTEREST

You're far more likely to excel in subjects you like. Although you'll probably like subjects for which you have a natural aptitude.

Languages and business subjects are my forté really.

I agree. I'm looking to do business in college as it is something I have a big interest in, and business is one of my best subjects (if not my best).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I agree, interest is the answer. Maths and Physics are my best subjects and I don't spend half as much time on it as some people do.

But I find it interesting, I listen in class, I understand and I question some things rather than taking it as a given. Plus I want to do Physics at third level.

That's about it really..No method, no structure, no magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

I would too agree that it's interest and aptitude, in varying quantities. My best subjects are chemistry and biology, I reckon because I'm genuinely interested in the content of the course, the stuff clicks with me and I don't have to spend ages coming to terms with it, it suits my learning style ( I like visual and it's very easy to draw charts diagrams with that sort of factual info than say irish or spanish) and also I have 2 excellent teachers who make their subjects interesting. Tbh I could sit through a class of anything if the teacher is passionate about their subject and explains things well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It's all about how much you like it and does it interest you. I'm really into engineering and drawing so Engineering, DCG, Construction Studies and Maths would be my biggest areas of interest. As for languages, nope. I never want to study those languages. Not my forte to be honest.

Everyone has different interests, some are into languages and would always want to learn it. Some are into maths and physics, and others would be into practical work like CS, DCG and Engineering. And we can't forget, those who are into Religion but there aren't very many of those about these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

From my experience I would say that the main thing is your interest and passion towards the subject.
    For example I have never opened my Physics book at home and I think I had my homework done once during last two years and yet I got a B1 (HL) in my mocks. In contrast, no matter how hard I try I know I will never get anything above a C in English, and I feel it is because deep inside I couldn't care less about the subject.

The second thing is the teacher. I have noticed that they can be divided into two group:
    1. Those who can teach by intuition and understanding. (Good teachers).
    2. Those who just flip the slides and make you rewrite the book-length of material. (Useless teachers).

It is very unlikely that you will get a good grade if you have a bad teacher for a subject that is of no interest to you. Unless you are willing to spend hours of study...

Listening in class and trying to question and understand rather than memorize concepts is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

I like Maths. That feeling when you get the correct answer never gets old.

Advertisement