Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bus stop outside house...

Options
  • 19-03-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi. Iv an offer on a house. But there is a dublin bus stop right infront of the front wall/entrance. As I would like to extend the entrance as its v narrow, are dublin bus obliged to relocate their bus stop or whats the story? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

baggote2 wrote: »
    are dublin bus obliged to relocate their bus stop

its on a public footpath right?
    I'd say they're not obliged to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Hi. Iv an offer on a house. But there is a dublin bus stop right infront of the front wall/entrance. As I would like to extend the entrance as its v narrow, are dublin bus obliged to relocate their bus stop or whats the story? Cheers

Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You'd like to extend your property out beyond its boundaries?

Yup. Not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You'd like to extend your property out beyond its boundaries?

Yup. Not gonna happen.

I presume the OP means extended the opening of his boundary of which the bus stop is in the way.

Op i would highly doubt they are obliged to do anything, Id suggest contacting Dublin bus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no he means to widen the entrance to allow vehicles to enter I presume but the bus stop would be in the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 baggote2

Yes just want to widen the entrance to allow easier access but the bus stop will not allow us to this. So dub bus not obliged to move no?
    Skerries wrote: »
    no he means to widen the entrance to allow vehicles to enter I presume but the bus stop would be in the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yes just want to widen the entrance to allow easier access but the bus stop will not allow us to this. So dub bus not obliged to move no?

You would have to apply for planning permission to do this. If you get the permission they will be obliged to move the bus stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You would have to apply for planning permission to do this. If you get the permission they will be obliged to move the bus stop.
    You don't need planning permission to move a pillar a few inches. But I imagine op will have to pay for the costs of moving the bus stop The same way ESB charges people from moving an electricity pole from their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,613 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are buses parking there for long periods of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

hfallada wrote: »
    You don't need planning permission to move a pillar a few inches. But I imagine op will have to pay for the costs of moving the bus stop The same way ESB charges people from moving an electricity pole from their property.
    No you do need planning permission in Dublin to enlarge an entrance even a couple of inches but why you think it is a couple of inches is another question.

I very much doubt Dublin Bus will do this at all and if they do they probably charge a lot to do so. I remember reading about how much it costs to make a bus stop to be made more wheel chair friendly and was shocked. If the bus stop has had this work done the charge to move it would be similarly high. Not 1k but closer to 10k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 baggote2

No its just a small bus stop, & in fairness wouldnt run very frequently. Its just a bus stop pole.
    Are buses parking there for long periods of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

No its just a small bus stop, & in fairness wouldnt run very frequently. Its just a bus stop pole.

But by moving it are they going to move it in front of your neighbours property? I wouldn't say they would be too happy about that.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Surely it's a matter for local government rather than Dublin bus.

DB can't just decide where a bus stop goes or a bus lane etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

hfallada wrote: »
    You don't need planning permission to move a pillar a few inches.

Of course you need planning permission in the majority of instances. I am well aware that many people have proceeded with such work without planning approval but by law you are required to apply and councils would theoretically be within their right to request that the entrance be re-instated to original condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Alias G wrote: »
    Of course you need planning permission in the majority of instances. I am well aware that many people have proceeded with such work without planning approval but by law you are required to apply and councils would theoretically be within their right to request that the entrance be re-instated to original condition.

Exactly and there is no way Dublin bus are going to move their bus stop because you have illegally widened your driveway. You'd have a man from the planning dept out pretty fast telling you to reinstate the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

You should be able to guage by the nature of the neighborhood if a planning application is likely to be favourably received. For example, if it is a period house with fancy wrought iron railings, then PP will be more difficult to obtain, whereas, if a lot of the neighbors have clearly done a similar job already then it may be a mere formality.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To move a bus stop, you need the consent of the bus operator, the local authority and the Garda. The bus operator may need the consent of the NTA. That said, if you are merely moving the pole a few metres, I can't see any party objecting too much - it would simply be down to cost.

Simply moving the pole a few metres would possibly cost in the order of €300-500 on top of the paperwork costs (I have no idea how much that would cost). If the kerb needs to be re-worked or the 'bus cage' (the painted white lines and the 'BUS' text) needs to be moved, then costs would quickly mount.

Advertisement